5G Dropouts

Rheumatoid
Aspirant

5G Dropouts

I keep getting drop-outs on 5G connected devices that will then switch to the 2.4 band. The main problem is my Galaxy Note 2 phone that keeps telling me it has disconnected from my 5G network due to slow internet speeds.

I am assuming it is a router thing and I have to say I am so far not very impressed with the range of this thing seeing as all the reviews were singing its praises in this respect. 2.4 is ok but no better than my old router and although I expected 5G to have slightly less range I did think it would reach more than 2 rooms away in a modern house largely made up of false walls!

It does seem as though a reboot improves things a little but not sure why this would be the case. I do have to reboot it regularly as the throughput seems to slow over time and it won't give enough to stream movies reliably to my TV unless I reboot it.

:mad:
Message 1 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

Re: 5G Dropouts

Sorry, should have said I am on Firmware Version V1.0.3.24_1.1.20
Message 2 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The 5Ghz range on this router is 20% greater than the 5Ghz range on my old WNDR2700.

The 2.4Ghz range is slightly better but the 5Ghz range is A LOT better.
Message 3 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

I have never had a 5G router so have nothing to compare it to but didn't expect it to be so much worse than 2.4.
Message 4 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

5Ghz is a much higher frequency therefore it attenuates much faster and is also affected more significantly by obstructions.

It would be uncommon to have 5Ghz range be 75% or even less of 2.4Ghz range.
Message 5 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

not quite sure what you mean here. Are you saying 5G range is commonly 75% or less than 2.4?
Message 6 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry, that's a type.

It would NOT be uncommon for 5Ghz range to be 75%, or even less, of the range of 2.4Ghz. 2.4Ghz carries much farther in most cases.
Message 7 of 27
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I have never had a 5G router so have nothing to compare it to but didn't expect it to be so much worse than 2.4.

Quite a difference.

Why in old days Pagers worked well in any where vs cell phone back in day did not work where pager was receiving it?

Pager runs in lower frequency then cell phone was using.

Same thing with Radio you listen too.Smiley Happy

Higher the frequency it has less distance. It is nature of how wave works .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

Thanks both but still disappointed 5G can't cover my whole house which is not massive and doesn't have thick walls. Makes it a bit useless unless I am in rooms adjacent to the router.
Message 9 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

Gets weirder

where I was getting drop-outs and struggling to browse earlier netger wifi analyzer now showing 71% signal and 108Mbps on 5G. There are no other 5G networks around and nothing near channel 44 that it is on. could it be something else causing occasional interference or is it some kind of router instability?

Interestingly, when I am next to the router I can get intitial readings as low as around 70% and 80Mbs but repeated testing takes it up to 100% and 150Mbps. Why would it go up with repeated testing?

sorry for all the q's - just a bit confused Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 27
Jim769
Luminary

Try using the higher channels on the 5 ghz band they use a higher power output. I have the Asus RT-AC68U and I can use 5 ghz all over my 1700 square foot home no issues at all. Different environments can have a huge impact on a routers performance. Also make sure your router is as high off the ground as you can get it with no obstructions around it.
Message 11 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yep. That's the other thing - the 5Ghz spectrum is VERY large in comparison to the 2.4Ghz.

As you go up the spectrum, the output power goes up along with the frequency. As Jim suggested, you'll get the best range when using the highest channels. I believe the Netgear defaults to 151.
Message 12 of 27
Jim769
Luminary

If he has the 5G band set to auto it could default almost anywhere with in the routers channel range for the 5G band.
Message 13 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

I do have it set for auto and as ther are no other 5G networks in the area I guess I could choose something. so is 151 a good start?
Message 14 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

Well I thought I had it set for auto but that is for the 2.4G network. there is no option for auto on the 5G network. I can only choose channel 36, 40, 44 or 48
Message 15 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you located outside the US?
Message 16 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The location should be mandatory to gain access to post. Ridiculous to have to guess what continent posters live on.

Sorry for my rant.Smiley Very Happy

I will say during my 3 weeks of owning a r7000 the 5g was stronger then the 2.4. I could be at other end of the house with another 5g AC router as AP and the r7000 was at same level using the 3 digit channel ( @ 5g AC 1300 in US there are only two channels seeing that 1300 uses all 4 upper or lower)
Message 17 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

htismaqe wrote:
Are you located outside the US?

Yes England
Message 18 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Someone in the UK will have to comment but I don't believe the entire 5Ghz spectrum is available. You may be forced to use one of the lower channels.
Message 19 of 27
marc311
Aspirant

another factor atleast/maybe. Did you add any cordless phones(5Ghz cordless phone) nearby the router for the past few days/weeks?
Message 20 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

Not recently. A cordeless phone has been near the router since I installed it but only a handset and not the base unit. It is a panasonic handset. not sure of the frequency it operates on.
Message 21 of 27
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You should able to see that on base station which one is . Usually clears marks 2.4 or 5G DTE print screen on it.

Suggest to separate the those two away each other
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 22 of 27
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

Seems the phone is not the problem:

"It operates in the 1.88 - 1.90GHz frequency range, meaning there's no interference with the overcrowded 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands that devices such as wireless routers, mice, keyboards etc use"
Message 23 of 27
Pogo007
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
You should able to see that on base station which one is . Usually clears marks 2.4 or 5G DTE print screen on it.

Suggest to separate the those two away each other

What would be a safe minimal distance to have between the base station and the router?
Message 24 of 27
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Any other emitting device close by can effect in some way.

There is no specific distance needs to achieve either. First is turn off the phone device and see if issues goes away make sure that is the issues causing it
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation