5G Stopped appearing on my devices as an available network. 5g Light on router is lit.

dcherne
Aspirant

5G Stopped appearing on my devices as an available network. 5g Light on router is lit.

My R6400 has stopped broadcasting the 5g network on all my 5g capable devices. 5g Light on router is lit solidly ( not blinking) and Enable SSID Broadcast is ON, but network is no where to be found to connect to. I noticed this within the last few days, but before that everything worked.

I've tried the solutions suggested on another thread with this title:  rebooting the router, and restoring factory defaults using the [Erase] option in the routers GUI.  Neither of those made any difference.  I still can not see the 5g network on any of multiple 5g capable devices.  The only clue I have is in the GUI "ADVANCED Home" "Wireless Settings (5ghz)" shows "Channel    �W۾", rather than "Channel 44" (which is the channel it is currently set to, and I have tried many other channels as well).

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Message 1 of 7

Re: 5G Stopped appearing on my devices as an available network. 5g Light on router is lit.

Greetings,

There are 2 variants of the R6400...  v1 and v2

Which do you have..  and what FW version are you running?

I have a v1 and am running 1.0.1.52 with great 5G performance.  

Visit this page:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Enter your model and look at available downloads.  I would suggest manually  reflashing your firmware . 

You can try the same or a different version than the one you have now.  Be sure to flash manually <<<.   

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 7
dcherne
Aspirant

Re: 5G Stopped appearing on my devices as an available network. 5g Light on router is lit.

Thank you for the help Shadow. I don't know for sure which version of 6400 I have.  The model number on the bottom of the unit says "R6400"  their is no V2 after it so I'm assuming I have V1?  I don't know where else to look other than the bottom of the unit to discover which version I have.

I am running old firmware V1.0.1.18_1.0.15.  I am not able to update the firmware using the GUI because I get the error message "Failure"  and "Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server". 

I have downloaded firmware R6400-V1.0.1.62_1.0.41.CHK to do a manual flash but the instructions I've seen for doing a manual update say to connect the computer to the router with an ethernet cable.  I want to do a manual update of the firmware but I no longer have a computer with an ethernet port in order to hardwire to the router.  Is it possible and safe to do a manual update of the firmware over WiFi?

Dave

Message 3 of 7
dcherne
Aspirant

Does anyone know if you can update the firmware over WiFi rather than hardwired with an ethernet cable?

Message 4 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] The model number on the bottom of the unit says "R6400" their
> is no V2 after it so I'm assuming I have V1? [...]

Yes.  The suffix appears on revisions after "[v1]".

> [...] the instructions I've seen [...]

Thanks for the helpful link(s).

> [...] Is it possible and safe to do a manual update of the firmware
> over WiFi?

Possible.  I see no reason that the connection type should matter,
but people claim that it does.  (And we are talking about Netgear
firmware, so there's almost no limit on potential bugs.)

Get an Ethernet adapter?  Cultivate friendships with better-equipped
people?  Anyone with an Ethernet-equipped computer (and a cable) who can
download the firmware image file should be able to do the job.  An R6400
is reasonably portable.

Message 5 of 7
Zreel
Aspirant

FYI, I have the R6400 router running "V1.0.1.62_1.0.41". Just today my router has stopped broadcasting 5 Ghz. The 5 Ghz light is on solid but it does not show up on any of my devices that can pick up 5 Ghz.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 6 of 7
dcherne
Aspirant

Thanks for chiming in Zreel, sounds like I'm not the only one having this problem.

I got a USB-ethernet apdapter and updated my R6400 firmware manually to version V1.0.1.62_1.0.41 and this made no difference for my problem.  I still can not see the 5 ghz network on any of my capable devices.  Any other solution ideas?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements