Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 5GHz band 1 does not work.

bschmidt34
Tutor

5GHz band 1 does not work.

Bought this router back in July, my first Netgear.  After a few months of operation, I noticed the first of my two 5GHz bands was not showing up.  My devices that were configured for it were unable to connect to it.  I log onto the router and all configuration is just fine.  It would appear that both 5GHz bands are up and operating as configured.  After a hard boot, both 5GHz bands became active and all seemed to be fixed.. That lasted about a day and then my first 5GHz band disappeared again.  All the same symptoms.  This scenario repeats itself whenever I hard boot.   I contacted Support only to learn that my free access to support ended literally 8 hours prior to when I placed the call.. yes, it was 8 hours into my 91st day owning the product..  Needless to say I was perturbed enough not to pay it..  After some time now looking for a solution to just show up online, that or a firmware release to magically fix the problem I am giving up..

Question.. do I 

a) Throw what seems like good money after bad and pay support to help me with this?

b) Save my money and put it towards a new non-Netgear router in the future and warn others to not make this same mistake I did?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

You do have a HARDWARE warranty of 1 year which is standard for all routers I think? Call back and say that a 5Ghz signal has failed and you would like an RMA for it... maybe they will do that, but I suspect you'd probably have to PROVE it was broken, and that might mean paying for support which might be refunded if it is broken... can't tell until you call and try.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi bschmidt34,

What is the firmware version of the router?

Message 2 of 5
bschmidt34
Tutor

Sorry for the delayed response.. Firmware version is V1.0.2.116

Message 3 of 5
IrvSp
Master

You do have a HARDWARE warranty of 1 year which is standard for all routers I think? Call back and say that a 5Ghz signal has failed and you would like an RMA for it... maybe they will do that, but I suspect you'd probably have to PROVE it was broken, and that might mean paying for support which might be refunded if it is broken... can't tell until you call and try.

Message 4 of 5
bschmidt34
Tutor

Thank you for the kick in the head I needed to just contact them and tell them what I wanted!  After reviewing my case history with this router and this specific problem, they agreed to send me RMA info.. They have a pretty fair process for RMA too where I can pay a reasonable fee which covers my shipping and does not require me to send my router until I receive the replacement.  I'm happy with the outcome assuming the return/replace process goes as planned.

Thanks again!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7