Re: 5GHz: temporary blocked packet forwarding

muetzekoeln
Novice

5GHz: temporary blocked packet forwarding

Hi there,

I have a problem with one wireless client (Dell notebook, Intel 4965AGN card) and the R7500 (1.0.0.76 firmware). After a while of smooth operation there is no more traffic. I seems all packet forwarding to this client is blocked. After reconnecting everything is good again until all starts over. This is in the 5GHz band only! When this happens some other clients have problems to connect to R7500. No message in the log.

The R7500 is in "Access Point Mode". So QoS is not active. No guest network active.

regards
Christoph

Message 1 of 7
Cybercare
Aspirant

Hi,

If you could let me know the following please.

Does the wireless connection still show connected?
If you disconnect and reconnect does it temporarily resolve issue?
How long does it take roughly before the issue happens?

If you connect to 2.4GHz does it continue working with no issues?

I've seen similar happen on Intel 6300AGN we are debugging and want to see if it's same problem.

On 6300 if traffic is occurring it seems to work fine but if you stop for some time the issue appears. For example doing constant ping keeps it working but if let sit idle for bit traffic stops functioning.
Message 2 of 7
muetzekoeln
Novice

Does the wireless connection still show connected?
Yes! This is why I called this problem "blocked packet forwarding"

If you disconnect and reconnect does it temporarily resolve issue?
Yes!

How long does it take roughly before the issue happens?
10 Minutes to some hours. I cannot find any trigger for it. Maybe airplane traffic. But I can see the R7500 reduce it's 5G output by about 10dB for some time (on a DFS channel, supposedly TPC) and there is no(!) association with this problem.

If you connect to 2.4GHz does it continue working with no issues?
Yes! No issue at all at 2.4GHz.

I've seen similar happen on Intel 6300AGN we are debugging and want to see if it's same problem.

On 6300 if traffic is occurring it seems to work fine but if you stop for some time the issue appears. For example doing constant ping keeps it working but if let sit idle for bit traffic stops functioning.

I am not sure if it's the same here. But because I already suspected this, I do pings only every 10 seconds or less (using CFOSs hrping)
Message 3 of 7
muetzekoeln
Novice

Firmware 10.0.0.82 did not resolve this problem. It was also not expected to do so... 😮
Message 4 of 7
muetzekoeln
Novice

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 5GHz connection stopped working altogether. No connect possible. 2.4 GHz runs normal.
Message 5 of 7
marcoschaap
Novice

I've encountered the same problems with my Intel Centrino 6300 Ultimate module. After 5 days I was getting sick of the connection loss and bought an Intel 7260 Dual Band AC module. After the installation of the module and newest drivers I've hadn't had a problem since. FYI I encountered this problem on DFS and non DFS channels. During the connection loss my other 5 GHz device still worked (LG Nexus 5) no signal drop or speed drop or whatsoever. The new module cost me about 30 euros so maybe it is an option for you.
Message 6 of 7
muetzekoeln
Novice

muetzekoeln wrote:
After upgrading to Windows 8.1 5GHz connection stopped working altogether. No connect possible. 2.4 GHz runs normal.

This was (in part?) a driver update problem well known with 8.1. And it did also apply to a different WLAN-AP. After downgrading to a driver from 2007 this problem vanished.

I did not have to time to check whether the temporarily blocked packet forwarding still exists.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E