Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5Ghz crashing on R7000P

MelbCreative
Aspirant

5Ghz crashing on R7000P

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue whereby the 5Ghz wifi band will 'crash' when large downloads or uploads are in progress when using my Netgear Nighthawk R7000P router.

By crashing I mean, all devices will be disconnected. The 5Ghz connection will still be visible but no device can actually connect (they all give connection errors).

The 2.4Ghz band continues to work as normal.

I tried the last three or four firmware versions with no luck.

Here's where things get interesting. Netgear are sending me a new router under RMA.

I've borrowed a Netgear N600 from a friend and exactly the same thing is happening.

Large uploads, 5Ghz wifi band drops, devices get booted from the wifi. Devices can see the network but can't connect.

I'm concerned that this is going to be an ongoing issue. Do I sell the new R7000P when it arrives and go with a different manufacturer next time, or is there something I can do to ensure this doesn't continue happening.

For your info, Wifi signal isn't a factor. There is also no loss in actual internet connection. It's definitely a router issue.

Message 1 of 5

Re: 5Ghz crashing on R7000P

@MelbCreative wrote:

I'm experiencing an issue whereby the 5Ghz wifi band will 'crash' when large downloads or uploads are in progress when using my Netgear Nighthawk R7000P router.

I'll start with the usual boilperplate questions.

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I've borrowed a Netgear N600 from a friend and exactly the same thing is happening.

Kind of points the finger away from the router. Difficult to tell with so little information about the rest of your network. What wifi clients are involved?

Netgear N600 could mean anything. N600 is a now somewhat ancient wifi technology. Netgear made dozens of N600s over the years.

Message 2 of 5
MelbCreative
Aspirant

Both routers (the R7000P and the N600, which I'm aware is old tech but it's a temporary solution while the R7000P is being replaced) is plugged directly into the Netcomm NBN FTTC box. No additional modems, wifi extenders etc.

What's weird is that the NBN internet service isn't dropping out. The Nighthawk app still shows the full 100mbps / 20mbps download / upload speed.

Yet devices won't connect to the 5Ghz connection at all. IE: the router is refusing connections.

I'm not sure what could be causing that if it isn't the router?

As mentioned it's instigated by high upload/download speeds.
Message 3 of 5

@MelbCreative wrote:
plugged directly into the Netcomm NBN FTTC box. .

NBN is the devil's plaything.

Even FTTC is a confusing term. They use it to mean different things down under.

What is a NBN connection and which NETGEAR routers and modems are compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

It probably doesn't matter, but we still don't know what this N600 might be.

Message 4 of 5
MelbCreative
Aspirant

DGND3700 is the Netgear N600 model number.

The NBN FTTC connection box is this unit:
https://superuser.com/questions/1564393/what-is-a-nbn-fttc-connection-device

I'm more concerned with solving the issue with the Nighthawk R7000P!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7