Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5g Not working

GSSR71
Tutor

5g Not working

This morning the 5G band just quit tranmitting.  The router still exhibits the 5G bulb lit but no signal anywere in the house.  It's even flasshing.  Using the router admin, it indicates it is active.  I've reset, check firmware for an update.  I've just not reset back to factory settings as I don't think that will help.  Evern earlier today, the system would not allow me to log into 2G.  Shutting the router off/on solved that issue.  I'm out of warranty as of November last year.  I can't ever reach the router with my Nighthawk app.  It says I'm not connected to the internet and I clearly am????  Is this router shot already?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: 5g Not working

What firmware version is on the router? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 
Do any devices work? wired? 

You didn't try the factory reset? 

Might be worth reinstalling the firmware (in case it was corrupt), then trying a factory reset and reinstall. its one of the first troubleshooting steps because sometimes firmware changes can cause issues. 

Message 2 of 6
GSSR71
Tutor

Hardwired I am getting full speed (~1G) and connectivity through the router.  2.4G is working perfectly.  The source is fiber and the modem is a DZS.  I'm on firmware version V1.3.1.64_10.1.36.

When I'm on the admin site, it tells me I have the mist current version but when I go to query Netgear for firmware updates, it gives me a different number.  Not sure why.

Resetting back to factory is quite drastic.  Why would only 5G be impacted?

Guess that may be the last resort.  I've never had any issues with other routers and I've had 4 different ones.  This will be my last Netgear,

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can try upgrading to the newer versions. With the R7000 and r7000P, the auto-update has been sporadic.  If it doesn't help, try version 1.3.0.20. This was the version prior to netgear armor. Not all devices played nicely with armor. 

Reason the factory reset can help is if theres enough changes to firmware, old settings can cause issues. I've seen it multiple times with the r7000P. 

Some are fixed with the simple update/factory reset. some need to be downgraded to the version prior to armor

Message 4 of 6
GSSR71
Tutor

The factory reset corrected the problem.  The 5G band is now putting out a signal.  Thank you for your help.  I really don't know what caused the issue.  The firmeware version is still the same.  I've disabled the auto feature.  If that was the problem, at least I can manage it.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation