Re: 5g doesn't work

flybd5
Tutor

5g doesn't work

I am using a Macbook Pro 2012 non-retina, and a 7500 with the latest .82 firmware.

I am unable to use 5G in any configuration, and using the non5g network limits me to 14mbps throughput on my Comcast account. If I connect to the ethernet ports, I get 10 times as much bandwidth. I have tried every possible configuration, and as you can see I am using the latest firmware. I am days away from returning this to Microcenter and getting something from another vendor.

Quite frankly, if you put half the effort you put into the external looks into the functionality, testing and reliability of the product, you'd have a much more reliable and popular one.

Message 1 of 33
muetzekoeln
Novice

Please be more specific.
Which region did you select, which channel do you use and which mode.
Do you see the SSID on your devices? How do you connect? WPS?
What is the error message?
Message 2 of 33
flybd5
Tutor

North America.
Tried all channels, all modes.
SSID broadcast works fine.
Connect with standard OS/X wifi tool.
WPS
There is no error message. It connects fine, browsing is completely unpredictable, response from Facebook for example will take minutes or will fail, Speedtest.net doesn't get past the ping at the beginning of the test.
Message 3 of 33
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A different router but seemingly related issue;

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=94640

Are wireless drivers up to date? What versions are in use?
flybd5
Tutor

WMM has no effect on this. Using QOS drops bandwidth even more, to a tenth of what it is now.
Message 5 of 33
muetzekoeln
Novice

I have read, that many people have WiFi problems since the Yosemite upgrade.

Please try to use different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5.2G.
Message 6 of 33
flybd5
Tutor

SSID's have nothing to do with this. I start off with the defaults then modified them to my former network SSID's. Nothing has changed. I have already applied all the latest updates to OS/X and am up to date.
Message 7 of 33
fordem
Mentor

flybd5 wrote:
SSID's have nothing to do with this

Different SSIDs for the two bands is the only way to know which of the two bands you're connected to - you're either using different SSIDs (in which case say so) or you're not (in which case, give it a try).

Capiche?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 8 of 33
flybd5
Tutor

Ya think, Sherlock? You think I would name both networks to the same SSID?

Is there anyone here over the age of 12 who can answer technical questions? Maybe a Netgear employee? Sometime before I blast this product in my next review?
Message 9 of 33
rmacbeth
Apprentice

Sorry you are having issues with 5G. If I am no mistaken 2012 MBP is just 802.11n standard I have the following: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) Hardware Overview: Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores: 4 L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 6 MB Memory: 16 GB Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B11 SMC Version (system): 2.19f12 System Software Overview: System Version: OS X 10.10.1 (14B25) Kernel Version: Darwin 14.0.0 Boot Volume: Macintosh HD Boot Mode: Normal Wi-Fi Software Versions: CoreWLAN: 5.0 (500.35.2) CoreWLANKit: 4.0 (400.35) Menu Extra: 10.0 (1000.33.2) System Information: 9.0 (900.9) IO80211 Family: 7.0 (700.52) Diagnostics: 4.0 (400.68) AirPort Utility: 6.3.4 (634.17) Interfaces: en0: Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x134) Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.124.12.10) MAC Address: 78:31:c1:c1:47:ae Locale: FCC Country Code: US Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165 Wake On Wireless: Supported AirDrop: Supported Status: Connected Current Network Information: XXXXXXXX-5G: PHY Mode: 802.11ac BSSID: 6c:b0:ce:14:18:ec Channel: 153 Country Code: US Network Type: Infrastructure Security: WPA2 Personal Signal / Noise: -56 dBm / -95 dBm Transmit Rate: 702 MCS Index: 5 R7500 Hardware Version R7500 Firmware Version V1.0.0.82 GUI Language Version V1.0.0.212 Operation Mode Router Go into your Finder/Applications/Utilities/System Information.app and then click on Network/Wi-Fi and see what type of Modes and Channels you can have in your MBP. If you do have “802.11n” then you need to make sure you have applied the needed patches see the following: Especially “Mac Wi-Fi Update 1.0” there are others on this site that you might need. http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macbookpro After that do the following on the R7500 go into “Advance/Wireless Setup” You said that you set yours up as “WPS” This is the weakest security and will slow the network. To achieve the best performance with 11N wireless adapters under robust security network, NETGEAR recommends that you change your network's security option to WPA2-PSK I would set it to WPA2-PSK [AES] which is high security and the fastest on the network Then go back to your MBP and do the following to make sure you are set up correctly on your MBP: Go into "System Preferences/Network" Make sure you are in your correct location, mine is called "Home" (I have many locations defined) Then click on "Advanced..." in the lower right corner. and then look at all your "Preferred Networks" and delete "All" of your 5G connections you have made for your location. by highlighting the Network and then use the "-" next to "Drag networks into the order you prefer" (this is also a good place to delete ones that you do not use anymore or maybe defined incorrectly for any reason) Also I only have checked off "Remember networks this computer has joined". Then close the "Network" screen and go up to the Top and click on the wifi icon and then click on "Turn Wi-Fi Off" and then back on again. See that your 5G Network shows up and then click on it and put in the correct passphrase for that network. Then go in to your Keychain access open "Finder/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app" launch the app and click on: “System” (on the left top part of the window) . Find your wireless network - double click. There are two tabs, Attributes & Access Control. (If you have the lock set you will have to put in your login password for your MBP) Go into the Access Control and check "allow all applications to access this item". It is defaulted on “confirm before allowing access”. This will fix most drops on the network. Also if you had change to a new router and changed your network names or ip address range then you would want to delete the old ones. Since you are in Keychain Access this might be a good time to clean up old keys click on “Login” on the upper left side and go though and delete any key to the old router this will make sure you are using the correct keys. Also you might look into getting “BearExtender Turbo for Mac” that will allow you to have a 802.11ac connection to your mbp http://store.bearextender.com/products/bearextender-turbo-for-mac I hope that this will help. Rich
Rich

Netgear user for over 20 years

current router: R7500
Message 10 of 33
flybd5
Tutor

I don't have a Retina Macbook, I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012).

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xF5)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.124.12.10)
MAC Address: a8:bb:cf:20:66:0e
Locale: FCC
Country Code: X0
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported

The wifi patch you mention is not applicable to this Macbook.

I am indeed using WPA2-PSK, not WPS.

I tried everything and it's the same thing. Browsing doesn't work very well, and Speedtest is at 0.6 mbps. 802.11g works fine, but is only 12mpbs when I get 120+mbps when connected directly to an Ethernet port.
Message 11 of 33
rmacbeth
Apprentice

I knew you did not have a Retina, I was just using mine as an example. You mention in your second reply that you were using WPS thats why I told you about the security setting.

I take it that you completed the changes in Keychain Access changes that I talked about.

Go into your R7500 Advance/Setup/Qos setup/ and do the following:

Check the box next to "Enable Dynamic QoS"
Select "Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth (recommended)"

Then click on "WMM" and uncheck both this should give you more throughput.

Then click on "Dynamic QoS" again and click on "Speedtest" Let me know what the results are:

Then connect direct to the back of the router and run a Speedtest again and let me know the results

(http://www.speedtest.net)

Then bypass your router right into your Comcast modem and run a Speedtest again and let me know the results.
Rich

Netgear user for over 20 years

current router: R7500
Message 12 of 33
flybd5
Tutor

I did the Keychain access changes, yes.

WMM was already turned off.

The speedtest on the router's page reports 124mpbs, the same as the connection to the ethernet port on the back, as I said in previous messages. I don't have time to check with the connection on the modem as I have to travel to Finland today and won't be back for a week. I have to leave for the airport now. I will check that when I come back.
Message 13 of 33
bennynihon
Novice

I too am unable to get 5GHz to work properly on my mid-2012 retina MacBook Pro. 5GHz 802.11n worked without issue using the router this R7500 replaced, a TP-Link WDR4300. Given that I paid 4 times as much for this Netgear router, I expect basic functionality to work properly.

As an electrical engineer, I know my way around a computer and have tried virtually everything one could think of to get this to work. I've tried various channels and seemingly all permutations of the applicable settings in the Netgear firmware. I've even gone as far as completely wiping my MacBook and re-installing Mac OS from scratch (something I would have liked to have avoided). It's certainly no joy wasting my time troubleshooting a $250 router that fails to operate as one would expect.

I implore Netgear to actually test their products against popular laptops, such as the MacBook Pro as I'm sure they'd be surprised with their findings. Better yet, it'd be nice if they simply provided everything necessary to the OpenWRT community so we can have a full featured router that doesn't suffer from these bugs. The people paying $250 for a router are your computer enthusiasts that prefer the likes of OpenWRT, Tomato, or DD-WRT. And it every makes Netgear's work that much easier.

Here is the information on the wifi chipset included in my MacBook.

Interfaces:
en0:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xEF)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.159.13.12)
MAC Address: 20:c9:d0:42:e6:07
Country Code: US
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Message 14 of 33
flybd5
Tutor

I think I've had enough. How do I get an RMA to return this for a refund? It simply does not work as advertised.
Message 15 of 33
arguru
Novice

I am experiencing the same issues highlighted by the OP with my mid-2012 retina MacBook Pro as well. I've never had any trouble connecting to the 5 GHz band of any other router before and I've tried every possible fix to no avail. I suspect the reason behind the flaky 5 GHz lies in the R7500's Quantenna chipset's firmware/driver.

Card Type:	AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0xEF)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.159.13.12)
MAC Address: b8:f6:XX:XX:XX:XX
Country Code: US
Message 16 of 33
bakkera
Novice

Have patience Netgear is busy solving this problem, there is a beta circulating that solves this problem.
Message 17 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Where can I find the beta version?
Message 18 of 33
jamin100
Novice

Has this problem been solved yet?
Im experiencing the same on my 2012 Mac Mini. The 5G band is totally unusable to the point where pages just don't load.

On the 2.4ghz band it seems fine.

bakkera wrote:
Have patience Netgear is busy solving this problem, there is a beta circulating that solves this problem.

Any idea on this will be released, either as a public beta or general release?

I really don't want to have to send this router back this week over this massive issue!
Message 19 of 33
bennynihon
Novice

jamin100 wrote:

Any idea on this will be released, either as a public beta or general release?

I really don't want to have to send this router back this week over this massive issue!

Can you share what chipset you have from the System Report?

I actually opened up my mid-2012 MacBook Pro to find out the exact chipset that's having issues with the R7500. Given that both you and flybd5 have 2012 models, it's quite likely you have the same chipset.

It's a Broadcom BCM94331CSAX, which is a 802.11n chipset that does not support 802.11ac. This worked just fine on my cheap TP-Link router on the 802.11n 5GHz band. I've written Netgear about this issue, and I encourage others to do the same.
Message 20 of 33
flybd5
Tutor

bakkera wrote:

Patience my rear. This product was not tested correctly and what was released is a piece of crap. I returned the stupid box for a full refund and bought an Asus RT-N66U. Now I get the full 125mpbs bandwidth from Comcast on wired or 5G, the user interface is much faster and easier to use, and the connected USB drive works like a champ.

You people want to learn how to do routers correctly? Call Asus and have them school you. I will never buy a Netgear product again. :cool:
Message 21 of 33
PEHowland
Apprentice

Same problem here:

2.4GHz works fine. 5GHz connects at good speed (350Mbps+) and claims to be connected to the Internet, but actual internet download speeds are of the order of 200kbps - whereas my actual connect speed is 200Mbps.

This is appalling. Should have stuck with my aging Airport Extreme. Any fix on the way?

Paul
Message 22 of 33
tadziak
Novice

I talked today with Netgear support and they 'elevated my case' - whatever it means. They have some beta firmware that might solve the problem, but so far nobody confirmed if it solves the issue...
If it's not solved in 3 days - I send it back.
Message 23 of 33
Beyond
Aspirant

Return if you can. Don't bother waiting.

This magical beta has been fixing issues for some supposedly for the couple of months, yet no release.

I deeply regret returning the r7000 router to buy this one and to be one of the first to have the r7500 that wasn't a reviewer.

I definitely may go back to ASUS for my next router.
Message 24 of 33
tadziak
Novice

Thanks, however I really wanted that advanced QOS, featured in this router. Non Asus have it. I have a variable bandwith (LTE) and I can't set a fixed download/upload speed so I hoped this would be the solution.
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E