Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5g rf signal very low

marcsolal
Aspirant

5g rf signal very low

My R6400v2 rooter generates very low rf signal. I downloaded an app to check and i get -90 dBm power at 1 m or so. The software looks ok since the channel is changed when i change the requested channel but the level is too low and my laptop does not see the 5 g network. This looks obviously like an hardware issue but I was told by support it is not and I cannot use my warranty. Which kind of software issue can reduce output power that low? Thanks for helping.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: 5g rf signal very low

@marcsolal wrote:

...my laptop does not see the 5 g network.

Many factors influence wifi. With 5 GHz it can be the distance between wifi source and client. 5 GHz has a much shorter range the 2.4 GHz.

Then there is the material of the building you are in reinforced concrete is great at soaking up wifi.

I assume that you have checked that the laptop is 5 GHz capable. Older stuff often isn't.

Message 2 of 5
marcsolal
Aspirant

The laptop is 5g capable. It used to be able to connect in 5G at the exact same place. Something changed. My phone also connects in 5G and used to connect to the rooter without any issues. I am using the Wifi analyzer android app. It is measuring about -90 dBm at my regular place (about 1 to 2 m from the rooter) and -85 dBm when I go close to the antenna, but the phone can never connect. I think this is a hardware issue and I should be able to use my warranty. If it is not, please tell me what to check else. Otherwise tell me how to use my warranty.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5

@marcsolal wrote:

Otherwise tell me how to use my warranty.

Start the RMA process by checking MyNetgear.

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 5
marcsolal
Aspirant

Thanks. I already called the number. I was told it was not a hardware issue even if it looks like one. I will try again. Hopefully it works this time.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7