Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5ghz connection keeps dropping, 2.4ghz fine. Nighthawk R6900P

adrian24
Initiate

5ghz connection keeps dropping, 2.4ghz fine. Nighthawk R6900P

Pretty much what the title says. A week or so ago the 5ghz band started having issues and just won't remain stable. I'll be connected to it and then 5 minutes later all the devices connected to it will stop working and drop the connection. Meanwhile, the 2.4ghz band is fine. I've tried everything I could and nothing is working. I've tried turning the router and the modem on and off, I've changed the 5ghz channel, I've changed the SSID and password, I've even factory reset the router and yet I'm still having issues. Another thing to note is that all the lights on the router are lit up white while I'm having these issues. Anything else I can try? At this point I'm ready to just buy a new router to get this over with.

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: 5ghz connection keeps dropping, 2.4ghz fine. Nighthawk R6900P

A couple things i'd try first. 

1. reinstall the firmware. If something is corrupt in the firmware, a reset only removes settings. it doesn't overwrite the firmware. By reinstalling the current version, it overwrites the firmware. 

2. Downgrade the firmware a version. Maybe there's a bug with the version you're on. Try downgrading 1 version, factory resetting, and then resinstalling the router. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things i'd try first. 

1. reinstall the firmware. If something is corrupt in the firmware, a reset only removes settings. it doesn't overwrite the firmware. By reinstalling the current version, it overwrites the firmware. 

2. Downgrade the firmware a version. Maybe there's a bug with the version you're on. Try downgrading 1 version, factory resetting, and then resinstalling the router. 

Message 2 of 4
adrian24
Initiate

Hmm, the 5g band has been stable after reinstalling the firmware but I'm not sure if that was the solution or disabling MU-MIMO in the settings. Either way it seems to be stable now so thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad something helped 🙂 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements