5ghz speeds dropped from 58mbps to 2mbps

AzNBoY92
Guide

5ghz speeds dropped from 58mbps to 2mbps

Hey Ive had the Nighthawk for a couple of months now and all have been fine until a few days ago. I just set up a Sony BDV-N7100W which has wireles rear speakers and since then my 5ghz speeds has dropped considerably. The system is connected to the 2.4ghz band. My speeds go back up after I turn off system. I need help on how I can fix this problem or if it's even fixable? How is the system interfering with 5ghz immensely but does not faze the 2.4ghz at all. Only the area contained inside the speaker set up is affected by speed loss, 2.4ghz is fine. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: 5ghz speeds dropped from 58mbps to 2mbps

[FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=1] This may explain it. [FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1]Wireless transceiver (EZW-RT50)

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=1]Communication system Wireless sound Specification version 1.0 Frequency band 5.736 GHz – 5.814 GHz

[/SIZE][/FONT] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Message 2 of 7
AzNBoY92
Guide

So I'm guessing I have to deal with it for the time being ?
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Try relocating router, it may be too close to the wireless speaker transmitter. Se if the speaker system has an adjustment to lower wireless output...try using different channels on 5g router
Message 4 of 7
AzNBoY92
Guide

How could placement of the router be the factor when it is outside of the "dead zone" ? & I changed channels on 5ghz with no help and also changed channels on the system with no help . It's just everything contained in the area of the speakers is almost dead on 5ghz . Should it be interfering that badly ?
Message 5 of 7
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I would agree with Searay.

- Transfer the router far from the speaker system
- If there is an option for you to modify the output power of your speaker then you may do so

You will encounter interference since the Sony BDV-N7100W is close to the router and it broadcast high output power same with the router.
Message 6 of 7
AzNBoY92
Guide

Yeah I tried moving the router away and switching channels but to no change seems like the 5ghz on the HT is too strong for the Netgear to penetrate sigh just have to use 2.4 while it's on .. Unless there's another option available .
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements