Re: 6700v3 update bricked

Bjones20
Tutor

6700v3 update bricked

Went to update the router (6700v3) last night with the phone app and woke up this morning to it no longer working.

I’ve tried many different reset options (30-30-30, 30 then let go, 7 and let go, etc) and none of those worked.

I can ping the router and get a response but when I’ve tried tftp’ing a firmware file over it accepts it but nothing changes. No set up, Internet or routerlogin.net available.

Any help would be thanked 😃
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
r6700v1
Apprentice

Netgear should not be telling people to update with the phone app. It should be done on a computer with a ethernet connection after first rebooting the router. Look at some previous posts with the word BRICKED in the title for instructions on how to recover.

Message 2 of 7
Bjones20
Tutor

I’ve tried almost every solution I’ve read and it hasn’t gotten me anywhere after 4 hours of trying. I am able to push the firmware file to the router but then nothing happens and that’s where the help ends or the user miraculously fixed it without explaining anything.
Message 3 of 7
r6700v1
Apprentice

Message 4 of 7
Bjones20
Tutor

As I said in my post. It accepts the tftp firmware but nothing changes. That is my main issue. I’ve pushed the firmware to the device probably 7 times now and it has no effect
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash
Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 6 of 7
Bjones20
Tutor

I had heard about this on Reddit and was going to try it once I fully figured it out and it ended up working.

Just going to put down my steps for anyone else viewing this in the future.

Download the nmrpflash and the firmware for your router. I placed both on my desktop for ease of access. Set up your internet connection (over ethernet) in properties and in ipv4 as 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.1. Open command prompt as an administrator and change the directory to the desktop ("cd C: pathforyourdesktophere"). Turn on the router and send the line "nmrpflash -i net0 -f "firmware name".chk. If it says no, send it again quickly (if net0 isn't correct then run nmrpflash -L to see what it should be). First time I did I think I missed the window but second time it caught it and updated it. Pretty simple and much better than just sending tftp requests into the void.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E