Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

7800: No admin interface?

Larbear
Tutor

7800: No admin interface?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me some information on a problem I am having with the router. My nighthawk 7800 updated to the latest firmware and after that is when things stop working. I was stil having internet connection but some of my services like mlb were not working so i rebooted the router. After the rebot I lost all connections. I tried login on to the gui through my computer and it would not go. I have done a factory reset and when I plug in a computer to the router my computer gets a self assigned IP but no default gateway. I tried login on from both a mac and a pc, but there is still no luck trying to get on the router interface. any infor would be helpful. thanks

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Larbear
Tutor

Re: 7800: No admin interface?

Ok so after a few days on tinkering I finally got it to work. Heres what I did was

• held reset button for 2 minutes
  • powered router off wait till 10 seconds and continue holding the reset for a minutet then release.

after that did not work i held the reset button and unplugged the router in and out about 10 times. that did not work as far as having the router assign an ip address to my computer or show the default gateway.

My next steps were to assign a manual ip address

ip-192.168.1.10

subnet-255.255.255.0

gateway-192.168.1.1

After i tried pinging the ip address and was getting a timeout error, I did a reboot of the router and I got a blinking light and i was able to ping the ip address. I downloaded a TFTP client (http://www.mactechnologies.com/index.php?page=downloads#tftpclient) and I was able to manually download the lastest firmware and upload it through the client, after about a minute all the lights on the router came back on and the router was finally reset allowing me to access the gui interface.

Thanks for all your inputs I did not want to be down a 200 dollar router after only 1 year of having it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

Maybe the modem/router combination has got itself confused. As well as the factory reset, it can also help to restart the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

What modem are we talking about here?

Message 2 of 7
pec967
Luminary

I have seen several reports of similar problems with firmware version 1.0.2.46 where a reboot or a power cycle causes the R7800 to return to the factory default settings. I am running version 1.0.2.44, and it does not suffer from this particular problem, although all the releases subsequent to 1.0.2.38 suffer from several other bugs.

Message 3 of 7
Larbear
Tutor

The model is the R7800 nighthawk xs4 ac2600. I’ve tried all that. When I try to do the reset holding the reset for 5 seconds nothing flashes I’ve tried it for 30 seconds and nothing flashes. I can’t access the interface through the default ip or routerlogin.net. Can a firmware be flashed to the modem without using an Ethernet cable perhaps through usb?
Message 4 of 7

@Larbear wrote:
Can a firmware be flashed to the modem without using an Ethernet cable perhaps through usb?

No, but you should be able to isolate the R7800 from everything else and then get into it with a wired LAN link.

But first tell us about the modem that feeds into the R7800. What model is it?

It may be that there is something amiss in the setup of the modem/router combination. It happens a lot.

On the reset front, here is a more severe process:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Message 5 of 7
Larbear
Tutor

Ok so after a few days on tinkering I finally got it to work. Heres what I did was

• held reset button for 2 minutes
  • powered router off wait till 10 seconds and continue holding the reset for a minutet then release.

after that did not work i held the reset button and unplugged the router in and out about 10 times. that did not work as far as having the router assign an ip address to my computer or show the default gateway.

My next steps were to assign a manual ip address

ip-192.168.1.10

subnet-255.255.255.0

gateway-192.168.1.1

After i tried pinging the ip address and was getting a timeout error, I did a reboot of the router and I got a blinking light and i was able to ping the ip address. I downloaded a TFTP client (http://www.mactechnologies.com/index.php?page=downloads#tftpclient) and I was able to manually download the lastest firmware and upload it through the client, after about a minute all the lights on the router came back on and the router was finally reset allowing me to access the gui interface.

Thanks for all your inputs I did not want to be down a 200 dollar router after only 1 year of having it.

Message 6 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] I downloaded a TFTP client [...]

Shouldn't be necessary: /usr/bin/tftp

man tftp

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats