Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 7800 or 7900p?

geaux124
Aspirant

7800 or 7900p?

I am replacing the router in my home and thought I had decided on getting the 7800 but then saw that I could get a 7900p for the same price.  I do not particuarly need a tri band router but I have been unable to find out much information as to how these two compare.  If they are very similar with the major difference being the 7900p is a tri band router I would proably get the 7900p as it seems like it would be more future proof, however if the 7800 is a significantly overally better router in most or all other repects,just being dual band rather than tri band, I would probably go with that one.  Basically, ignoring the dual/tri band aspect, how do they compare performance wise?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Currently the R7800 is the best router you can get from NETGEAR. It has the best range (according to tests by SmallNetBuilder) and stable, decent firmware. It's also a Qualcomm-based router which means its firmware is based on OpenWrt as that's what Qualcomm uses for its SDK.

Performance-wise, the R7800 beats the R7900P as it uses a quad-core CPU which 2 cores at 1.7 GHz dedicated to applications and firmware and 2 cores at 800 MHz as network packet processors 

The R7900P is Broadcom-based with a dual core CPU at 1.8 GHz but uses CTF (cut through forwarding) for acceleration and CTF is not compatible with many things thus it gets disabled if you use QoS, Traffic Meter, port forwarding, etc - basically anything that needs to inspect packets first, disables CTF

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Currently the R7800 is the best router you can get from NETGEAR. It has the best range (according to tests by SmallNetBuilder) and stable, decent firmware. It's also a Qualcomm-based router which means its firmware is based on OpenWrt as that's what Qualcomm uses for its SDK.

Performance-wise, the R7800 beats the R7900P as it uses a quad-core CPU which 2 cores at 1.7 GHz dedicated to applications and firmware and 2 cores at 800 MHz as network packet processors 

The R7900P is Broadcom-based with a dual core CPU at 1.8 GHz but uses CTF (cut through forwarding) for acceleration and CTF is not compatible with many things thus it gets disabled if you use QoS, Traffic Meter, port forwarding, etc - basically anything that needs to inspect packets first, disables CTF

Message 2 of 4
geaux124
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the information.

Message 3 of 4

.... and @microchip8 is not alone in preferring the R7800, you will find quite a lot of people here saying the same thing. It is a versatile and reliable router. So much so that Netgear used it as the "hardware engine" for the XR500, its first foray into gaming routers.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7