Re: 8:00pm -1am wifi disconnects

Star
Star

8:00pm -1am wifi disconnects

Everynight around 8pm my wifi will drop and also keep disconnecting itself from the wifi. It will still be connected but no internet connection then everything gets slower. Please help me fix this. Current Version is the most updated one in 2020 like v100 or 00 somthing
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

1. what modem is it connected to? 

2. What actual firmware is on it? We need an actual number not "the latest" or "like v100 or v00" 

3. Is it just the wifi? or are there issues on wired devices as well? 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 19
Star
Star

1. Connected to the free modem charter spectrum give you.
2. V1.0.11.100_10.2_100 is the firmware
3. My phone, laptop, and ps4 will he connected to the ssid but no internet connection. Around 8pm-10am at night the interntet gets real slow. Then it constantly disconnects throughout the night
Message 3 of 19
Star
Star

Happens every night at 8pm all the way through 10am daily. Im getting tired of this issue.
Message 4 of 19
plemans
Guru

@009 wrote:
1. Connected to the free modem charter spectrum give you.
2. V1.0.11.100_10.2_100 is the firmware
3. My phone, laptop, and ps4 will he connected to the ssid but no internet connection. Around 8pm-10am at night the interntet gets real slow. Then it constantly disconnects throughout the night

1.Which "free modem charter gives you"?  there'll be a model number on it. 

2. Try installing version 1.0.9.42 of the firmware. Its the agreed upon most stable and best performing of the R7000 firmwares. Install that firmware, factory reset the router, and then manually re-install it. Don't use a backup configuration. Also, do it over a ethernet connection. And once you're done, disable auto-update. 

3. If its saying "connected but no internet" it could still be the modem. Sadly, many of charters modems are locked down so you can't check the signal strength yourself. What I'd do? install the known good firmware on the router. If the problem still occurs, I'd have charter check the line and modem since its happening at a specific time. 

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speeds do you get hardwired into the router?

And hardwired into the modem? 

When the speeds slow down, if you connect a pc directly to the modem, are they still slow? 

Message 5 of 19
Star
Star

1Model is E31T2V1 DOSC 3.1 eMTA
2. How do i downgrade to V1.0.9.42? Like can you walk me through it.
3. I pay for 100Mps, dont know what speeds i get hardwire. I just know the internet connection with this router is way better than the charter router. When the speeds slows down all my devices including the PC is affected. Cant really tell since the internet constantly drop out through out each night. Also when my router does disconnects it will say Dos Scan ATK or FIN scan (1) 20 packets loss in isp.
Message 6 of 19
plemans
Guru

@009 wrote:
1Model is E31T2V1 DOSC 3.1 eMTA----Not a bad modem but spectrum does lock it down so you can't check anything. They make you trust them and their first line response is always "the lines find". 
2. How do i downgrade to V1.0.9.42? Like can you walk me through it.----its pretty simple. go to the R7000 support site (here) click on downloads. then click on +view previous version. Down load the 1.0.9.42 version. once downloaded you'll need to unzip the file. if you're on windows, simple right click "extract all". Then follow the guide on page 96 of the manual for manual firmware upgrade. And instead of using the new firmware, use the version you downloaded. Make sure to do it over a hardwired connect. Once if fully installs and the router reboots, then do the factory reset (push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on), and manually install it. I say manually because old settings can cause issues if the firmwares changed enough. 

3. I pay for 100Mps, dont know what speeds i get hardwire.---its good to check. Both when the internet is running fine and when its slowing down. If the speeds directly off the modem are slow, then its not the router cuasing the issues.  I just know the internet connection with this router is way better than the charter router. When the speeds slows down all my devices including the PC is affected. Cant really tell since the internet constantly drop out through out each night. Also when my router does disconnects it will say Dos Scan ATK or FIN scan (1) 20 packets loss in isp.

Message 7 of 19
Star
Star

Downloaded the 1.0.9.42 on my computer. Now question, do i unplug the yellow ethernet cord from my modem to my computer? Do i keep the yellow cord from my modem to the router then plug another cord in my computer? And do i need turn off my modem while im updating my router?
Message 8 of 19
plemans
Guru

@009 wrote:
Downloaded the 1.0.9.42 on my computer. Now question, do i unplug the yellow ethernet cord from my modem to my computer? Do i keep the yellow cord from my modem to the router then plug another cord in my computer? And do i need turn off my modem while im updating my router?

the cord from modem to router you can leave. I've never needed to unhook it for changing firmware. And i've never needed to shut down the modem either. 

I just directly connect a pc/laptop to the router when I do it. 

Message 9 of 19
Star
Star

Yeah i agree with you with charter. Since this convid pandemic, i thought they were throttling my internet connection at night but i dont think its that because alot of people i read had problems with the 1.0.11.100_10.2.100 firmware. But i hope the modem is not causing my router to slow down because of this data cap
Message 10 of 19
Star
Star

Do I plug a usb cord into the router or the yellow ethernet cord? And does it matter which slot i plug it into?
Message 11 of 19
plemans
Guru

Any of the lan ports will work
Message 12 of 19
Star
Star

Yea i downgrade it but i did the 1.0.9.64 on accident but we will see how this firmware works. Also my finget slip while i was pushing the reset button so i had to push and hold it for 15 seconds again. And my settings on my routerlogin.net is the same as before the update so when you said manually install i was confuse on that part.
Message 13 of 19
plemans
Guru

@009 wrote:
Yea i downgrade it but i did the 1.0.9.64 on accident but we will see how this firmware works. Also my finget slip while i was pushing the reset button so i had to push and hold it for 15 seconds again. And my settings on my routerlogin.net is the same as before the update so when you said manually install i was confuse on that part.

If all the settings were the same, it probably didn't reset properly.

Next time,you can go to advanced-------administration-------backup------erase. 

that'll do the same thing and clear out everything. 

Did it slowdown/disconnect last night?

Message 14 of 19
Star
Star

Yea it did. Im going to downgrade it to the 1.0.9.42, erase my settings then, re enter all my info again. And see what happens. Do i also have to reboot my router before i downgrade/update it?
Message 15 of 19
plemans
Guru

Before? no, you shouldn't need to. 

Did you try the direct connect to the modem for a day or two just to confirm it isn't a modem/isp issue?

Message 16 of 19
Star
Star

Yea. The modem isnt the problem, hope not. We got it switch out 3x already. A new line. Still happens. I have not downgraded to the .42 yet
Message 17 of 19
Star
Star

Re: 8:00pm -9am wifi disconnects

Just downgraded it to 1.0.9.42
Also have charter coming back out again today.
So we will see what happens to the internet again tonight around 8:40pm-9am
Message 18 of 19
fmalloy
Luminary

Re: 8:00pm -9am wifi disconnects

The same time part is puzzling...have you considered WiFi interference? Are there other homes/apartments closeby? Maybe at 8pm people start streaming 4K videos? Try changing the WiFi channel. That made things more stable for my R7000 - there are like 10-15 other WiFi access points visible all around me, and they were on the same channel.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E