× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 802.11ax WiFi: The Latest Internet Standard

schumaku
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

Probably as useless as the 802.11ad on my R9000.

Nobody can state at this early point if the industry will pick up the new standard widely or if it will be ignored. While 802.11ad was nice, there are several disadvantages - the 60 GHz tech is expensive, requiring a lot of power, operating hot, and providing a physically limited reach.

@Placesandspaces wrote:
Is there a list of ad devices? Sounds like they are few and far between.

Some 2014/15 Dell Latitude (also supporting the WiGig docking), and few leading edge Acer notebooks from around 2015/16. Most used Intel Wireless Gigabit modules. We had some success with updates, however the antennas are very hard to find.

Had a Dell Latitude with the dock for a project, trouble was if the cat was sleeping in between on the desk in the direct line of sight between the 60 GHz devices, the connection went bust. Similar limitations for 802.11ad of course.

Message 26 of 29
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

Interesting. Hopefully ax will have more success and benefits as well. Only time will tell.
Message 27 of 29
William10a
Master

It has a better chance then AD did where AD use 60 ghz's, AX uses the 2.4 and 5ghz bands the way I understand it from what I have seen about it. It may take a lillte bit to catch like the AC standard did.

Message 28 of 29
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

If it ends up being an excellent type of router(s) I may have to ditch my x10 (which has been a beast of a router) and go with an ax.  Will have to give companies time to work out the kinks like with any new product though.

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7