Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A General Comment About 5Ghz/2.4Ghz & "Smart" Devices

A General Comment About 5Ghz/2.4Ghz & "Smart" Devices

(BTW, there is no selection for a Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System AX1800 MK63 that I can find in the drop-down up there)

I just needed to vent here, for anyone having difficulty setting up "smart" devices on their Nighthawk Mesh system, and running into issues with the 5Ghz/2.4Ghz . I have in my house several smart plugs, a couple of smart switches, a Fire TV, a Fire Cube, six Amazon Echos, a MyQ garage door opener, a Whirlpool smart microwave, and an HP wireless printer. ALL OF THEM have had issues in setup (or in continued operation) because of the Ghz issue.

Attempts to figure it out here were fruitless, and even counter-productive, with some members fingerwagging for asking the question wrong, and telling people that the problem isn't with the router, it's with the apps. Well maybe so, but imagine trying to argue with the Chinese maker of smart switches, calling Whirlpool, HP,  Liftmaster and all the rest, just to complete setup. 

The solution is super easy, if a little stupid to have to do. Walk with your phone until out of range (for me, I had to walk 6 house away), and then slowly walk back. It might help to unplug your satellite boxes first. But this trick worked for each device that was giving me issues. 

Now, why can't Netgear provide an option to disable 5Ghz (if only temporarily) , and simply make it plain how to do it? It is OBVIOUSLY a common problem. It's happened to me with multiple devices.  I hope this is useful to someone, because it was driving me crazy.

Message 1 of 2

Re: A General Comment About 5Ghz/2.4Ghz & "Smart" Devices

@JamesterReyburg wrote:

(BTW, there is no selection for a Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System AX1800 MK63 that I can find in the drop-down up there)

No guarantees, but that maybe because you have started in the wrong place. Those dropdowns can be section specific.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Mesh System - NETGEAR Communities

or maybe

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

@JamesterReyburg wrote:

ALL OF THEM have had issues in setup (or in continued operation) because of the Ghz issue.

That's an "oldie but goodie", especially in the Orbi zone. (I leave you to discover the delights of that long running saga.) It doesn't apply to the Nighthawk routers covered in this section,. They do have the ability to disable the 5 GHz SSID. That's an other reason for raising it the appropriate section.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7