Re: A Possible Cause of Dropping Wifi Connections

> [...] I don't know for sure [...]

I suspected that.

> [...] I now have two routers stacked [...]

Did you ever try configuring the second router as a wireless access
point?

> [...] and all is good.

Success using Method "A" does not prove that Method "B" will fail, or
that Method "A" is the only possible path to success.

> [...] that is what I learned. [...]

"learned" and "proved" are spelled differently for a reason.

Message 26 of 32
IrvSp
Master

@ML56,

I'll assume you've not seen these then?

https://kb.netgear.com/24043/How-many-clients-can-you-connect-wirelessly-to-a-NETGEAR-router

https://www.lifewire.com/how-many-devices-can-share-a-wifi-network-818298

Yes, 32 is listed prominently in those. However there is a difference between 'limit' and 'connection'.

The Netgear KB states 'accomodate', not limit, and even then sort of backtracks some saying that number will deviate due to usage. The LifeWire explains more and states that LinkSys has a max. of 50.

NOTHING states connecting more that the 'operational limit to provide full service' will cause other connections to be dropped.

It is all about how many ACTIVE devices can be handled at one time per wireless band. A phone connected but not in use is not considered active. A TV streaming IS active, as would be a PC d/l'ing a file. A string of Security camera's streaming video would be active.

If you have seen different references, please post, I'd like to read them.

Message 27 of 32
JohnNadeau
Apprentice

@ML56 I'll be curious to see your results.  For what it's worth, since my original post, I haven't had one dropout.

Message 28 of 32
ML56
Aspirant

Will do. Please keep in mind I'm a novice compared to many others. I hope I did not seem to know it all...

I have many Amazon plugs, switches, Alexa, and Dots that need to be addressed at any time so if they hold on to an IP address I would consider them active. If they would be streaming data then I would be worrying about bandwidth.

Again, just the opinion of a novice.
Message 29 of 32
ML56
Aspirant

That was a good read. Thanks.
Message 30 of 32
JIMJFRED62
Tutor

I had the SAME problem until I turned off the GUEST NETWORKS in my config.  It seems to have stopped AND it also means my Alexa devices stay online. Who knew!

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 31 of 32
JohnNadeau
Apprentice

Good to hear!

As noted in my original post, it was a bit more involved to get it resolved, at least with the firmware version I was using at that time: V1.0.9.18_1.2.27

Since that original post in January 2018, I have not touched the Guest Network and have not had ONE dropout.  I have a lot of devices, reserved IP's, etc. and it's a real pain to re-enter everything manually, so I have not attempted to upgrade the firmware.

Perhaps a newer version of the firmware more fully respects when you toggle on/off the Guest Network.

What firmware version are you running?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E