Highlighted
Apprentice

A Possible Cause of Dropping Wifi Connections

Working on a theory here...

I've had two R7000's for several years and have NEVER experienced the WiFi Connection Dropouts that are frequently posted!  They both started out with the stock firmware, and I had usually upgraded the firmware as new versions came out (and only through the Netgear Router Admin Page Interface... never reset to factory defaults, etc.).  I stopped upgrading firmware when V1.0.6.40_1.1.90 came out and haven't experienced any problems.

Until a week ago...  I had NEVER enabled the Guest Networks.  When I enabled them, I immediately started having the Dreaded Dropouts!  I had also turned on "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network".  But here's the thing:  I figured that toggling the settings back would stop the problem!  Ah... but it did NOT fix it!

So the Theory is This:  Once you enable the Guest Networks (and/or Allow guests to see each other and access my local network), it creates the WiFi dropout problem.  It doesn't matter whether you toggle them back... the problem continues.

Here's How I Fixed It... And I have not had ANY WiFi Dropouts Since!

1. Toggle Off the "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network"
  2. Toggle Off the Guest Networks
  3. Backup the settings
  4. Update to the latest firmware V1.0.9.18_1.2.27 at this time.
    • Note: I suppose if you're already running the latest, consider resetting to factory defaults first, then update again to the lastest firmware and restore your backup settings.
  5. NEVER TOUCH THE GUEST NETWORK AGAIN Smiley Happy

I would be very interested in hearing back from anyone experiencing the frequent WiFi Dropouts as to whether/not they have similar results after repeating the steps above.

Good Luck!!!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 32
Highlighted

Re: A Possible Cause of Dropping Wifi Connections

That's already one sub-plot in this long running saga:

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - NETGEAR Communities

Your experience suggests that you may have caught a dose of Chromecast disease.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 32
Highlighted
Apprentice

Thanks MichaelKenward,

Agreed.... the Guest Network is suspected in various posts (see summary below).

I'm hoping someong with the dropout issue will try the specific steps in the order outlined in my original post to see if it stops the pain Smiley Happy

I suspect that simply "toggling off" the Guest Network doesn't do the trick... perhaps although the Config Page indicates it's off, it never gets properly/fully disabled in the hardware.

ChromeCast Bug is not likely given no ChromeCast devices in use before/after the problem/fix.

******************************************************************************************

Page 2:
Disabled Guest Didn't Help
Enabled Guest Didn't Help

Page 3:
Guest Enabled Caused Prolems 

Switching Guest Off Using Genie Helped

Page 6:
Turning Guest Off Helped

Page 9:
Turning Guest Off, Reboot Helped
Turning Guest Off Fixed

Page 11:
Guest Network On, Having Problem
Turning Guest Network Off Helped

Page 12:
Turning Guest Off Didn't Help
Turning Guest On, Then Off Didn't Help

Message 3 of 32
Highlighted
Master

Hi JohnNadeau,

Have you tried this firmware?

https://kb.netgear.com/000053870/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-26-Hot-Fix

Message 4 of 32
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi @JamesGL

Thanks... I appreciate the heads-up!

I have not yet....

Remember... my WiFi had been 100% stable for several years across multiple Firmware upgrades, until I enabled the Guest Network.  Instantaneously, the WiFi problems began.  But disabling the Guest Network did not fix the problem: It wasn't until I did the steps outlined in my original post above that the problem went away.

Invoking the rule... "if it aint broke, don't fix it"... I'll sit tight at my current version until we see 1.0.9.26 mature and gather other insight.

Thanks again,

John

Message 5 of 32
Highlighted
Apprentice

I used a guest network without interruption for over a year without any issues. Upon upgrading to 1.0.9.14 (or .12, no longer recall, but I've posted it before) I started having the 2.4 GHz drops.

Many others are in the same boat, so I think it's unlikely this is the root cause in some way. you might simply have an unrelated issue.
Message 6 of 32
Highlighted
Apprentice

@mzguy

It's too much of a coincidence.  Many people have had the dropout issue for years and across many different firmware versions.  To restate my original post: "I've had two R7000's for several years and have NEVER experienced the WiFi Connection Dropouts that are frequently posted!"  I have personally upgraded many firmware versions and again, never had the problem.  I don't think it was the last firmware upgrade that started the issue.  It wasn't until I checked the GuestNetwork that the problem kicked in.  Then un-toggling it didn't fix it either.  But my steps outlined in the original post DID fix it... it has been rock-solid since my original post... not ONE dropout!  

@Case850

Oh boy... too many to list!  But NO ChromeCast devices.  And again, regardless of what is on my network, the steps outlined in the original post DID fix it... it has been rock-solid since my original post... not ONE dropout! 

Hopefully some others users will at least try the steps as outlined to further isolate/troubleshoot the problem. 

Message 7 of 32
Highlighted

Oh boy... too many to list!  But NO ChromeCast devices. 

That's what a lot of people thought, but then they dug deeper and found that they had Android devices that carried hidden chromecast features that were swamping their routers.

I suspect that that is why @Case850 asked the question.

It even turns out that some seemingly ChromeCast-free devices with nmo apparent Google connections build on its technology.

You may well be correct in your assumption, but read the long and tortured discussions on this issue – at a single page, this one is an absolute beginner – and it gets more and more complicated as time passes.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 32
Highlighted
Apprentice

@michaelkenward

Oh yes, that's why I mentioned the non-ChromeCast angle.

As you know, the Holy Grail of troubleshooting any technical issue is identifying "one single event" that changed.  My devices were all the same, both before enabling the Guest Network, and after. The dropout problems started the moment the Guest Network was enabled.  That toggling it off didn't solve the problem leads me to believe this:  while the Router Admin Interface indicates it is off, there is still something (coding bug) that triggerred the problem that in turn is not being turned off... until the toggling & upgrading steps are followed... which then disables said issue.

Maybe our friends at NetGear @JamesGL will try the steps outlined and report back Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

So we are using an eero system but when I got a new Android phone about 6 weeks ago the wifi connection (for the phone only) dropped constantly. Sometimes 30 seconds after manually reconnecting sometimes after 10-15 minutes but constantly, so freaking irritating. Eero was not helpful, reset everything, every setting multiple times, finally just started searching for ANY ideas and tried every possible fix I could find. Now this one: my phone's Guest setting was NOT enabled but I am trying everything so I enabled it. HAS NOT dropped one time since, been 24 hours. Don't know why, don't care, it's fixed and I thank you for the prompt.
Message 10 of 32
Highlighted
Apprentice

@LaurieM wrote:
...finally just started searching for ANY ideas and tried every possible fix I could find. Now this one: my phone's Guest setting was NOT enabled but I am trying everything so I enabled it. HAS NOT dropped one time since, been 24 hours. Don't know why, don't care, it's fixed and I thank you for the prompt.

Nice to hear.  

Clarification... did you mean to say that your Router's Guest setting was not enabled?

Thanks

Message 11 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Oh, yes sorry on the eero router settings, still has not dropped one time since I enabled it.

Message 12 of 32
Highlighted

I tried the method mentioned to no avail.  Is anyone else still having this issue?

Message 13 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes still having constant drops, only holds the connection for less than 5 minutes. The router setting seemed to fix but within a couple of days it started again. So frustrating.
Message 14 of 32
Highlighted

LaurieM, I learned from another discussion as painful as it is for me that a factory reset may fix the issue.  I tried it this morning and I am hoping it works.  Been dealing with this for over a year now.  

Message 15 of 32
Highlighted

Well, WiFi dropped again today.  I guess the issue must be hardware/age related!

Message 16 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have a Google home hub connected to my router and every so often, very quickly, it will disconnected from the router and then reconnect for no reason. Yesterday, my router had a firmware update to address the disconnect issues. One of the big fixes was the disconnect issues. However, this still didn't fix my issues. I should mention that I haven't turned on the Guest Network at all and these issues still occurred. I'm not too worried about it at the moment since my game consoles are connected directly to Ethernet since I get more used out of them. For mobile devices, my Samsung note 9 for example, I can see sometimes, it's still connected to my WiFi network, but it's using LTE on my phone instead. So, it's not like the router is fully rebooting itself, it just drops the internet connection slightly.
Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 17 of 32
Highlighted

@jstep32x wrote:
I have a Google home hub connected to my router and every so often, very quickly, it will disconnected from the router and then reconnect for no reason. Yesterday, my router had a firmware update to address the disconnect issues. One of the big fixes was the disconnect issues. However, this still didn't fix my issues. I should mention that I haven't turned on the Guest Network at all and these issues still occurred. I'm not too worried about it at the moment since my game consoles are connected directly to Ethernet since I get more used out of them. For mobile devices, my Samsung note 9 for example, I can see sometimes, it's still connected to my WiFi network, but it's using LTE on my phone instead. So, it's not like the router is fully rebooting itself, it just drops the internet connection slightly.

Is there a question in there?

You have just joined in on a discussion that is nearly a year old. It also concerns different hardware.

On the issue to hand, one way to deal with problems that persist after a firmware update is to factory reset the device. Resists the temptation to save and restore the settings.

If the issue persists after the a reset, then you might do better to start a fresh discussion. That is more likely to catch the eye of the official Netgear minders.

Just another user.

Message 18 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mine does this too but I've pinpointed when it occurs but not why. I only have issues after around 1 day with a PS4 on the 5ghz channel. Then after a day the 2.4ghz channel plays up, disappears and only a reboot will fix it. Only every 2nd week is the ps4 on (when the teenager is home and using it) so the week when it's off, we have no issues at all. As an aside, it seems the 5ghz channel and PS4 continue to work fine!

I suspect the PS4 is flooding the router with connections of some sort but I don't understand why only the 2.4ghz channel would have issues.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 19 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same exact problem for over a year but on the r6300v2. I did your fix. I'm hoping it works. (I will never turn on a Guest Network again.) BTW I learned something else - even though you can set the IP addresses all the way to 254, the router is limited to only 32 devices. If anyone is having issues with the new automated plugs and switches (Amazon, Google) keep this in mind.
Message 20 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Really? Huh. I'll check my network and see how many devices I have. I didn't know that.
Message 21 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just not for Netgear, many brands share that limitation. I stacked a second router to increase my toys. Best of luck.
Message 22 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

R6300v2. Similar router by Netgear
Just not for Netgear, many brands share that limitation. I stacked a second router to increase my toys. Best of luck.
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 23 of 32
Highlighted
Guru

> [...] I learned something else - even though you can set the IP
> addresses all the way to 254, the router is limited to only 32 devices.
> [...]

"learned" how, exactly?  "32 devices" total?  Wireless?
Wireless/radio?  Other?

Message 24 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Netgear r6300vr
Hi,
I don't know for sure but I think total. I googled several different 4 1/2 - 5 🌟 routers. Read their specs, also seen it in a manual or two. Again - I'm no expert but after researching my problem for over a year that is what I learned. I now have two routers stacked with a total of 43 clients (toys) no Guest Networks and all is good.
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 25 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements