Re: A call for action -- Firmware "Release Notes" need more details

duckware
Virtuoso

A call for action -- Firmware "Release Notes" need more details

Netgear, when Firmware "Release Notes" only states:

• Fixes security issues
  • Fixes minor bugs

that does not help.

I am running .40 and found a bug.  I looked at the .44 release notes and not finding anything, I reported the bug.  But, tech support first always says 'try the latest firmware (.44), but we don't know if that will fix the issue'.

So, add a lot more details into the release notes to help out us, your end users, and to help your own technical support team better support your products.

OK?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi duckware,

Which bug you were referring?

Message 2 of 5
duckware
Virtuoso

Exactly!  You have just proved my point (that firmware release notes need more disclosure) by simply asking that question.

I found a bug, but the firmware just released only lists "Fixes minor bugs".  That is NOT helpful.

You can't tell me if the bug was fixed from that.  L1 can't tell me if the bug was fixed.  L2 can't even tell me if the bug was fixed.  My bug report has been punted up to the next level after that.

It would greatly help (1) end users and (2) Netgear L1 and L2 technical support people -- if firmware release notes actually disclosed what was fixed.

Message 3 of 5
dabl
Initiate

Agree, a change in the firmware release notes with meaningful details are long overdue.

Message 4 of 5
SmallTrader
Apprentice

Fully agreed with original poster. Netgear's firmware quality is among the worst in the industry when compared to other leading vendors that I have used before (ASUS, Linksys,TP-Link). You can almost guaranteed every new version of firmware will bring new stability and performance problems.

To add insult to injury, there is usually a one liner or at most two liners in the release notes "Fixed Security Issues". This is very amateurish. I am rapidly losing faith in Netgear. It is a shame to see an once innovative company sinking so low.

How do I get the attention of senior management regarding poor quality firmware issues across the entire model range?

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements