Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1000 router not displaying FaceBook pictures and videos

808Reynaldo
Follower

AC1000 router not displaying FaceBook pictures and videos

Recently, John's home network came up with an unusual problem. Surfing the internet was normal - purchasing from Amazon, online banking, watching YouTube videos, etc. were all normal. The only exception was not being able to see pictures and videos in FaceBook. Other members of the household using their own FaceBook accounts had the same issue.

Here's the equipment setup:

A Spectrum cable modem provides TV, Internet and landline phone service. An Apple Express router with WiFi is connected to the Spectrum cable modem and the PC computer is connected via an Ethernet cable to the Apple router. Other devices, several cell phones, a Samsung tablet and an iPad connect to the Apple router via WiFi. All devices can surf the Internet but none can show the pictures or videos in FaceBook. Bypassing the Apple router and connecting the PC to the Spectrum cable modem via an Ethernet cable resulted in being able to see pictures and videos in FaceBook.

Conclusion: the Apple router is defective. I changed the router with a new Netgear AC1000 router (serial no. 64M108BHA42BA) which configured automatically to accept an IP address dynamically and the results were the same, i.e., no pictures or videos when using FaceBook.

I connected the PC via Ethernet cable to the Spectrum cable modem and used IPCONFIG /ALL to get the values that I used to configure the Netgear router with a static IP address. Now all the devices that connect to the Netgear router can see pictures and videos in FaceBook. However, a few days later the Netgear router stopped working. Apparently, the Spectrum cable mode was reset and now has different WAN/LAN values causing my statically configured router to fail. The Netgear router was set back from static to DHCP and was once again functioning. However, the problem of not being able to see pictures and videos in FaceBook still persists.

Netgear technical support was called and we spent 2 hours of trying different settings to resolve the issue of not being able to view pictures and videos in FaceBook to no avail. The Netgear router was replaced with an old D-Link router and the problem of not being able to see pictures and videos in FaceBook was resolved.

The Netgear router was taken to my home which also has Spectrum internet service to be tested. After being installed without altering the router settings browsing the internet was tested. Surfing the internet was normal and more importantly I was being able to see pictures and videos in FaceBook.

Why did the D-Link router work to resolve the FaceBook issue?
Why does the Netgear router display FaceBook successfully at my home and not at John's home?

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7