× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1600 R6260 loses internet connection

mrsmiller678
Follower

AC1600 R6260 loses internet connection

Have to reboot AC1600 because it keeps dropping internet signal.  Have talked with ISP and from their end I haven't dropped signal.  Is there some kind of sleep mode it goes into after inactivity or a setting I need to change to keep this from happening?

Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AC1600 R6260 loses internet connection

Hi mrsmiller678 and CWShellhamer,
Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the back log in the system. Are you still having the sea issue? We would need the following information, so I can offer you additional recommendations:

1. What is the current firmware of the router?

2. Have you tried downgrading the firmware of the router?

3. Does it affect both wired and wireless? Does it affect all devices in the network?

4. When the router losses the internet connection, does it turn the Internet LED off or stays  on when the is happens? Does it turn amber or stays white?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
CWShellhamer
Tutor

I have the same issue. I checked the logs on the admin page and it looks to be related to the router refreshing port assignments.
I have NOT yet confirmed this with NETGEAR support, hoping its resolved sooner than later, thank goodness my ISP's modem has a few ethernet ports! 

Message 2 of 12
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mrsmiller678 and CWShellhamer,
Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the back log in the system. Are you still having the sea issue? We would need the following information, so I can offer you additional recommendations:

1. What is the current firmware of the router?

2. Have you tried downgrading the firmware of the router?

3. Does it affect both wired and wireless? Does it affect all devices in the network?

4. When the router losses the internet connection, does it turn the Internet LED off or stays  on when the is happens? Does it turn amber or stays white?

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

Message 3 of 12
CWShellhamer
Tutor

@olympos1625 
1: V1.1.0.64_1.0.1 and I have already down graded, the newest FW it updates to is V1.1.0.66 (not even listed on your netgear website for   the R6260

2: It is all devices attached via LAN and WiFi

3: On the front of the router the Internet LED stays green, there is no white LED on the face of the router. There also aren't any link/connection Amber/Green lights on the ethernet ports on hte rear where my ISP modem connects.

I HAVE figured out a workaround where if I DHCP reserve the address within the router this issue doesnt happen but can everyone be expected to do that?

I feel the issue has to do with the router CONSTANLY re-assigning the same address to the same device multiple times a day (SEE ATTACHMENT).

Message 4 of 12
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi CWShellhamer,

Thank you for getting back to us.

1. May I know where did you get the firmware version V1.1.0.66?

2. May I know which IP address did you reserve?

Please try to downgrade the firmware from this version:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6260/R6260-V1.1.0.52.zip

After loading the firmware, please reset the router to default then reconfigure and see if the disconnection is still there.

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

Message 5 of 12
CWShellhamer
Tutor

1: It came out of the box with V1.1.0.66
2: It was 192.168.1.20 I also used .21 for the PCI WiFi card I have installed. Same issue for both LAN and WiFi and other devices.

As an update I submitted a RMA and Netgear sent me a new one that had V1.1.0.55 and the issue remains.

I'm honestly at a loss and I'm about to demand my money back both for the router and the shipping for the RMA replacement unit.
Message 6 of 12
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi CWShellhamer,

Thank you for the information. Since this is already the 2nd router and having the same issue, did you check your modem if you are having an issue as well? This is to properly isolate the issue 2 routers already having the same issue and we don't have logs of disconnection for this model. Please have a computer connected directly to the modem and observe the connection.

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

Message 7 of 12
CWShellhamer
Tutor

@olympos1625 

When connected via WIFI or Hardwired to my modem my connection is rock-solid for HOURS and downloads mostly run at approx 30MBps as I have 250Mbps service from my ISP. 

This WiFi dropping issue is occuring regardless of connection method - It occurs both on WIFI and LAN connections - and is device agnogstic. My DVD player, Roku, all family member's phones experience this connection issue. Its an AC1600 router and I would like to think it can handle 6-8 devices connecting and using WIFI at the same time. 

Message 8 of 12
CWShellhamer
Tutor

Bumping to hopefully ellicit a constructive response or to finally get in touch with someone who can offer input. 

The only option I feel i have left is to place this router in a faraday with any sort of device via LAN or WiFi and see if hte connection still drops. 

Message 9 of 12
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi CWShellhamer,

We would like to further assist you on this. Please send us a PM with your email address, phone number, preferred to call back date and time so we can have our support team contact you.

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

Message 10 of 12
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @CWShellhamer,

We would like to further assist you on this. Please send us a PM with your email address, phone number, preferred to call back date and time so we can have our support team contact you.

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

Message 11 of 12
CWShellhamer
Tutor

@olympos1625

Dont worry about it, I placed the router into WAP mode and everything has been rock solid now. Using my modem for all DCHP duties because your 100 dollar router is clearly incapable of handling on the most basic networking protocols. Dont bother me anymore. Next time I'll just spend the 10% more price point for a Linksys router.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7