Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1750 Broadcasting WiFi but no internet

Cam313
Aspirant

AC1750 Broadcasting WiFi but no internet

My router, which had been working fine for months, suddenly won't transmit internet. Computers plugged into the same system (it's Webpass, so no modem, just plug directly into an activated ethernet port) work fine. The router lights show there's internet, and it's broadcasting WiFi, but if you connect there's no internet access. Also, the nighthawk app claims it isn't connected to the router even when it is. I reset the router and the wifi networks on my phone and got the same results.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Are you using the R6400v1 or R6400v2?

And the actual firmware # helps. You didn't put the firmware you're running but I know the version 2 firmware was upgraded to run with netgear Armor. Some people have had issues with installing after the firmware upgraded to armor.

What I'd try? Regardless if you have version 1 or 2, check to make sure you're currently on the latest firmware. Compare the firmware # to the one on the support site. If not, upgrade to the latest over a hardwired connection. Then factory reset the router. Then try your install.

If that doesn't work, try downgrading the firmware to the version prior to Armor (1.0.3.66) if you're on version 2. maybe there's a conflict there.

If you're not, I'd still try the downgrade but I'd go down a version or 2.  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies

Greetings,

What FW revision are you running?  When was it last updated?  How was it updated?

Perform an internet connectivity test using the router's GUI (do not use an APP.)  Log into the router directly.  You do not need internet for this.  192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

Advanced tab > Set up > Internet set up > test (button).  What are the results?

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

2 simple things to try. 

If you plug a pc into the router, does the internet work?

If you plug a pc into the ethernet wire from webpass, does it work? 

Message 3 of 9
Cam313
Aspirant

Hi,

When plugging a pc directly into the router, the internet does not work. When plugging the PC directly into the webpass ethernet connection (the same one that I had the router plugged into previously), the internet does work.

Message 4 of 9
Cam313
Aspirant

shadowsports,

I got the router in April, and have not updated the FW since. If it has updated since then, it did so automatically.

For the second part, that was a little more complicated. I couldn't get to the speed test.

I was able to get onto that first IP address you gave me (192.168.1.1). I clicked through the prompts and once the setup wizard took over, it gave me a message that either the modem needed to be turned off and then on or the ethernet cable should be checked that it was plugged in properly. I checked the cable first and then clicked the option to say that that was what I had done and that the site should try again. The website said to wait for a few minutes then it eventually gave me a pretty typical "this website can't be reached" message. I tried to reload the IP address which showed the same message. I tried both IP on both browsers but got the same message.

I turned the router off and then on again but still got those same messages for both IP and browsers. Like I said before, there's no modem to power cycle, so I couldn't do that, but a PC plugged directly into the same ethernet port the router has been plugged into gets internet just fine, so the theoretical modem shouldn't be the problem anyway.

New Info

As a last resort I tried the computer's network troubleshooter and got an error message (Wifi doesn't have valid IP configuration).

The last thing I tried was set the IP configuration to manual in the network settings and matching it with the first IP address given (192.168.1.1). This didn't seem to do anything.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Are you using the R6400v1 or R6400v2?

And the actual firmware # helps. You didn't put the firmware you're running but I know the version 2 firmware was upgraded to run with netgear Armor. Some people have had issues with installing after the firmware upgraded to armor.

What I'd try? Regardless if you have version 1 or 2, check to make sure you're currently on the latest firmware. Compare the firmware # to the one on the support site. If not, upgrade to the latest over a hardwired connection. Then factory reset the router. Then try your install.

If that doesn't work, try downgrading the firmware to the version prior to Armor (1.0.3.66) if you're on version 2. maybe there's a conflict there.

If you're not, I'd still try the downgrade but I'd go down a version or 2.  

Message 6 of 9

@Cam313 

Since you are not sure of the FW revision or how/when the FW was last updated, reflashing is probably indicated.  

Message 7 of 9
Cam313
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. Updating the firmware ended up fixing the issue. It seems kind of extreme for the router to simply stop providing internet (over wifi or ethernet) for outdated firmware. Will this happen every time there's an update?

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

For the most part no, it shouldn't require a reset. Occasionally a upgrade has enough changes that a small percentage benefit from a reset but overall, most dont need it.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7