Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

AC1750, LAN internet speed extreemly slow!

My wired LAN connection to my computer is speed testing at 9Mbps download through the Netgear router.  Bypassing and going direct the speed is 112Mbps.  Firmware is the latest version.  I've checked all settings.  Even called tech support, total waste of time.  Any idea's before I throw this thing in the garbage and buy a different brand?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28
Highlighted
Master

Re: AC1750, LAN internet speed extreemly slow!

Garbage can is a good call. 

One suggestion would be to look into getting a Ubiquiti Edge Router, under $100 closer to under $75, and use your Netgear router as an AP. The Edge Router is a solid next layer up from consumer grade router. Think things will be more solid for you. May lose things like parental controls when you do this. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 28
Highlighted
Sensei

> [...] Bypassing and going direct [...]

"going direct" to _what_?

> [...] Firmware is the latest version. [...]

As always, an actual version number would be more useful than your
opinion of what's "the latest" today.  "Latest" and "best" are spelled
differently for a reason.  Have you tried any other versions?

> [...] I've checked all settings. [...]

Which means what, exactly?  How would I know whether you'd know a bad
setting if it fell on you?

Have you tried a settings reset (and manual reconfiguration)?

Message 3 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@SteddyTeddy wrote:

My wired LAN connection to my computer is speed testing at 9Mbps download through the Netgear router.  Bypassing and going direct the speed is 112Mbps.  Firmware is the latest version.  I've checked all settings.  Even called tech support, total waste of time.  Any idea's before I throw this thing in the garbage and buy a different brand?

Forget the 'garbage can man above please.

Need more details here?

Specifically what is the make and modem of your modem.

What settings do you have on your router, specifically QoS and Traffic Meter?

Did you have another router before getting this router?

Did you TURN OFF your modem when connecting another device to it (also off) and then power back on the modem and then the device?

When you look at the QoS page, there is a speed test, what does it say? If no value, run the Speed Test, what does it say now?

Message 4 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

QOS and Traffic meter disabled.  Never used.  I did try enabling QOS and my speed slowed down even more.  Firmware is V1.0.3.66_10.0.50.  If I connect straight to my Spectrum router I get speed tests of 112Mbps.  Service tech came out and tested.  Their side is fine.  Hook up the Netgear and max I see is 10 to 12Mbps.  AC1750 Model R6400v2.  Just noticed it yesterday.  Was using UPS and could hardly print a lable.  Did a speed test then and was getting 5Mbps. 

Message 5 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

Forget the 'garbage can man above please.

Hay @IrvSp I gave him a good solution that also saved the investment of the Netgear router for less then $100. The Edge Router is a much better router then anything that Netgear has to offer. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@SteddyTeddy, thanks for the reply but you answered only one question, "What settings do you have on your router, specifically QoS and Traffic Meter?"

I asked the others as they could have a bearing on this.

Modems REMEMBER who was last connected by MAC address. If you do NOT power it off between switching devices the new device (router in this case) might not get FULL SPEED.

Doing the TEST on the QoS page would show what the speed the ROUTER sees...

All that HELP with troubleshooting. I do NOT doubt your speed results, just need some troubleshoot tests and answer to help understand this?

Message 7 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had 9mbs for a moment when my network card buffer was deliberately set low. I changed it to over 512 buffer receive and then the speed went back to normal 70mbs ever since whatever setting on the nic. Also recommend trying Intel nics over onboard realtek or atheros. Particularly if your onboard doesn't allow large enough buffers for modern internet to work properly, some old onboard have a maximum buffer of 256, this can cause issues with fast internet.

Message 8 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@myersw, your math is off? Bill, you didn't save him a penny. Instead of trying to determine what is wrong and THEN where to go from there, you asked him to SPEND $75 or more.

Want to suggest alternate h/w, fine Bill, but at least either try to find out what is wrong first, or wait until someone else gives up before doing that. Helping others solve the problem is what the forum is for, not send them to different vendors.

We've all heard your 'I have never had a problem' before, but we both know that will not work for everyone either. The forums for Ubiquiti is just as busy as here, it not like the 'Maytag Repairman'. So are all other vendor forums. If there was ONLY one FOOLPROOF solution EVERYONE would use it and all the other vendors would be out of business.

Message 9 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Speed test on Upstream QoS shows 12.16Mbps.  Both upstream and downstream are not enabled.  Traffic Stream is also not enabled. Yes the modem was rebooted serveral times now.  The only thing I have yet to do if a full factory reset and try setting it up again.  The wireless side of it seems to be working fine but I have not done a speed test from the wireless laptop. 

Message 10 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@SteddyTeddy wrote:

Speed test on Upstream QoS shows 12.16Mbps.  Both upstream and downstream are not enabled.  Traffic Stream is also not enabled. Yes the modem was rebooted serveral times now.  The only thing I have yet to do if a full factory reset and try setting it up again.  The wireless side of it seems to be working fine but I have not done a speed test from the wireless laptop. 

Interesting... and that wireless speed test might tell more depending on its speed?

When you tested the modem speed to the PC, which cable did you use? The one from the modem to router or pc to router?

Another data point I'd like to see, on the Browser Genie should be an Advanced Tab (I do not have your router but most if not all NG routers have the same Genie) and an Internet Box, and at the bottom is the SHOW STATISTICS. I'm interested in the WAN Status, see mine to the right.

A complete RESET of the NVRAM (either on the Router Update page or using the recessed reset button) might be in order here?

Message 11 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

@myersw, your math is off? Bill, you didn't save him a penny. Instead of trying to determine what is wrong and THEN where to go from there, you asked him to SPEND $75 or more.

Want to suggest alternate h/w, fine Bill, but at least either try to find out what is wrong first, or wait until someone else gives up before doing that. Helping others solve the problem is what the forum is for, not send them to different vendors.

@IrvSp 

We both know what is wrong. Crap firmware, you know that as well as I. Was suggesting getting a good solid Internet for less then $100 and saving the Netgear investment. In the overall scheme of things, Ubiquiti products do have some issues, BUT nothing like the poor firmware being pushed onto the poor unsuspecting Netgear buyers. The Edge Router has been out for years so most issues have been worked out by now. At least in my experience Ubiquiti fixes issues rather then putting out firmware after firmware, for months on end that have the same issues like Netgear does. The beta firmware I run on my gateway and AP's just works, no reboots, no drops of any kind. No issues with multiple folks streaming HD video at the same time, just a solid Internet connection.

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@myersw wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

@IrvSp 

We both know what is wrong. Crap firmware, you know that as well as I.

Bill, enough with the CRAP FIRMWARE... this is NOT the R7000 V1.0.9.60 and .64 f/w. This is an R6400V2 with 3 month old f/w. Google R6400V2 and slow internet... use "r6400v2 slow speed V1.0.3.66 site:community.netgear.com", ONE HIT from 5/1. That one isn't even about that!

Think I'm wrong, links to some V1.0.3.66 complaints like this please? Google "r6400V2 firmware V1.0.3.66 problems" shows NONE found.

Yes, some problems are across many routers... the ACCESS LIST problem hits many (probably a subroutine compiled into many versions of F/W), but they are not real show stoppers like dropping internet.

Find out what the problem IS before condemning every problem as 'crap firmware'.

Message 13 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've tried 2 different cables.  Both new.  Reset Netgear back to factory defaults and set it up as new.  Still fugged!  9.5Mbps download, 11.7Mbps up load. 

Message 14 of 28
Highlighted
Luminary

SteddyTeddy, are you using a Dell computer?

Message 15 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@SteddyTeddy, lets reset this. There are still some questions not answered here.

What is known via what you answered so far:

• Direct connect to modem you get the speed you think is correct via wire.
  • Router connected to modem via a port you get very low speeds.
  • Doesn't seem to be a cable problem as you tried a few.
  • You are running the latest firmware.
  • You called Tech Support, which by the way, I don't even know how to do. I'd have to open a case up in MY SUPPORT and then they 'might' call me. If you have Spectrum, like I do, you are in the US and that is the ONLY way to contact NG Support. Suspect you found a phone number on the web and talked to a 3rd party support operation that would want to have you PAY.
  • QoS and Traffic meter are NOT enabled.
  • Modem has been reset a few times. Should clear the MAC Address it knew so we can rule that out.
  • Reset Router to Factory settings (not detailed how though).

What we still do not know:

• Make and Model of Spectrum router? Hope it isn't an Arris Tx16xx, they have Puma 6 chips and can slow things down, but not that much.
  • Wireless speeds, you said they were 'good' but no speeds listed.
  • Make and Model of PC and Network adapter that is having the problem.
  • Did you try other ports on the router?
  • Did you have another router before getting this router? Did wired work OK if you did?
  • When you look at the QoS page, there is a speed test, what does it say? You only gave one value, there should be 2. If you run it again, does it change? You said this, "Speed test on Upstream QoS shows 12.16Mbps. Both upstream and downstream are not enabled." but if this was about QoS, I didn't understand or your QoS page is different from mine? See screen capture on left what mine looks like. That test should be run. There were reports of speed problems that were fixed by either manually setting those values or entries showing were wrong and running the SPEED TEST cleared the problem EVEN without QoS being enabled. What are BOTH values there?
  • Is this router NEW?
  • Do you have another wired PC to test with?
  • You stated you had the 'latest' on the PC, but what is it running and the network card, what device driver?
  • What is the Spectrum's provided speed?

Please answer the above.

Message 16 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes.  Dell Inspiron 3668.  All drivers up to date.

Message 17 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes ArrisTG1672G

Current speed test direct connected to Arris are 97.38/15.62Mbps on 100Mbps system

Dell Inspiron 3368, Windows 10, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, 6/27/2017, Driver version 10.19.627.2017

About 8 months ago had a Linksys router.  It worked fine until it died.  Then purchased this one.

Only have the Upsteam speed test on my QoS page.

Can try booting up an older system later today.

Message 18 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Screenshot_70.pngScreenshot_69.png

Message 19 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@SteddyTeddy wrote:

Yes.  Dell Inspiron 3668.  All drivers up to date.

There are a few different specs for that model but it also has both wired and wireless built-in.

By any chance do you have both wired and wireless enabled and connected?

In Device Manager you can find the exact Realtek model, but since it worked fine before that might not be an issue. Still, with my Dell it is using the Windows included drivers. Realtek could have later or better ones? You can find the model of it by opening SYSTEM INFORMATION (seach for it), opening components, network and find Realtek in the list.

You could disable the wired connection and use wireless and see if there is a speed difference as a test as well.

Message 20 of 28
Highlighted
Master

Can't see the inline pictures but the attached one does show another tab, Downstream QoS. What is that showing?

Message 21 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@SteddyTeddy wrote:

Yes ArrisTG1672G

Current speed test direct connected to Arris are 97.38/15.62Mbps on 100Mbps system

Dell Inspiron 3368, Windows 10, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, 6/27/2017, Driver version 10.19.627.2017

About 8 months ago had a Linksys router.  It worked fine until it died.  Then purchased this one.

Only have the Upsteam speed test on my QoS page.

Can try booting up an older system later today.

That Arris is a Puma6 chipset, typical Spectrum... it suffers from Buffer Bloat... can cause some browsing and gameplay problems. Does NOT have any speed test effects though.

That IS an old drive for the card, but I don't know the chipset model. I've got a 8186 Realtek, my drivers are newer and from MS. See capture.

Since this router is under a year, you can use SUPPORT, MY SUPPORT, and contact NG and ask for an RMA. They will probably connect and determine if there is a PORT problem or not? Worth a try? You are covered for 1 year on h/w failure.

Did you every try a different port on the router?

Message 22 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Nothing.

Message 23 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Tried all 4 ports.  I'm pretty much conviced its a hardware failure.

Message 24 of 28
Highlighted
Master

@SteddyTeddy wrote:

Nothing.

Does that page have a SPEED TEST? If so, run it, what does it say?

Message 25 of 28