Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1750 R6400 V2 speed issue

Captfxco
Tutor

AC1750 R6400 V2 speed issue

AC1750 R6400 V2 running firmware V1.0.4.84  and have had a significant drop in wi-fi speeds that became apparent a couple of months back.  I'm getting about 90 mbps wired direct from my modem (I have a 100 mbps connection) ... wired direct from the router or over wifi I only get at best 25 mbps, usually less.  I have rebooted everything more times than I can count and have done a factory reset twice, with no change.  When I bought this router earlier this year I was getting about 70-80 mbps over the wifi.  Qos is disabled. My device is less than 8 ft from the router in direct line of sight.  I did update the firmware once, maybe twice when prompted, probably what caused the issue.   Is there anything I can do to get some speed back in this router ?  I'm about ready to go out and buy something other than a Netgear.  Thanks.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Captfxco
Tutor

Ok, so good news this morning. First off I ran into my neighbor and asked him what kind of speeds he was getting, also uses Spectrum. Over 200 was his answer, apparently Spectrum upped the speed in the area a few months back..well I never got it. So I called Spectrum and incredibly got an actual techie who both spoke fluent english and knew what he was doing. He worked some magic on my modem and restarted it remotely.  When it came up I connected direct to it and pulled about 220mbps !  I have never gotten those speeds since I've lived in this house... So I hardwired to the router, same speeds..incredible...but the wireless was still only pulling in the 30s.  

I figured out how to re-install the last firmware update..hardwired the connection, loaded it and then did a factory reset on it.  When it came up I got a Christmas miracle...speed on the wifi is now 200+ !  Apparently you were right...the last firmware update I did must have corrupted, more than likely I did update it over wifi.  So right now I'm a happy camper... thanks again so much for your help !  Happy Holidays !

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem are you connecting to?

Firmware on the router? (please don't say the latest, say a number)

You put that you only get 25mbps directly connected to the router but 80-90 directly connected to the modem, is this correct?

Many things influence wireless speeds which is why for troubleshooting, we try to get the full speed at the router while hardwired first, then we worry about wireless.

have you tried changing ethernet cables? 

do you have a screen snip of your modem connections page? 

Message 2 of 8
Captfxco
Tutor

I did list the Firmware version on the first line of the original post.. firmware V1.0.4.84  I did however mis-state something..  I am getting full signal speed while hardwired to BOTH the router AND the modem. FYI - the modem is a Cisco brand supplied to me by Spectrum.  I just ran speed tests again, both wired and wireless and I'm getting 90+ hardwired to either the router or the modem but only getting 22+ wireless less than 8 ft away.  My cables are good and I changed them to confirm. I have factory reset the Netgear twice with the same results..  Suggestions as to where to proceed next.  

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd try 2 things.

1. Reload the firmware you're on. If something was corrupt in the firmware, factory resetting only erases settings. It doesn't fix the firmware.

2. Downgrade the firmware to a version before Netgear Armor. Many Netgear routers have been "upgraded" to armor. The transition has been poor as many devices have had issues. Many were fixed with resets. Some have needed firmware downgrades to before armor. 

Try going to the version 1.0.3.66. Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to factory reset afterwards as the firmware is significantly different. 

Is your speed over 2.4ghz or 5ghz? If there's a lot of interference in your area, you might be maxing out 2.4ghz. My area is over saturated in 2.4ghz and struggles to hit 20-30mbps over 2.4ghz but will hit 450-500 mbps over 5ghz. 

Message 4 of 8
Captfxco
Tutor

This router does have Netgear Armor, though I let the trial run out. I'm going to try and reload the existing firmware version over a wired connection first..I can't recall if I upgraded when wired or not. All my devices are using the 5g connection, though it's rare that more than 2 would be in use at once. I'm on a clear channel, no one but me showing on it.  The only thing I run 2.4 on is an old laptop from time to time. Won't get to this tonite.  Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Let me know how it goes when you do get a chance!

Message 6 of 8
Captfxco
Tutor

Ok, so good news this morning. First off I ran into my neighbor and asked him what kind of speeds he was getting, also uses Spectrum. Over 200 was his answer, apparently Spectrum upped the speed in the area a few months back..well I never got it. So I called Spectrum and incredibly got an actual techie who both spoke fluent english and knew what he was doing. He worked some magic on my modem and restarted it remotely.  When it came up I connected direct to it and pulled about 220mbps !  I have never gotten those speeds since I've lived in this house... So I hardwired to the router, same speeds..incredible...but the wireless was still only pulling in the 30s.  

I figured out how to re-install the last firmware update..hardwired the connection, loaded it and then did a factory reset on it.  When it came up I got a Christmas miracle...speed on the wifi is now 200+ !  Apparently you were right...the last firmware update I did must have corrupted, more than likely I did update it over wifi.  So right now I'm a happy camper... thanks again so much for your help !  Happy Holidays !

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working!
If you mark the correct answer as solved it helps the next person with the issue find the fix faster. 🙂
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7