Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 R6700v2 slow speed with both wired and wirless conncection to FIOS using latest firmware

JXB
Aspirant
Aspirant

AC1750 R6700v2 slow speed with both wired and wirless conncection to FIOS using latest firmware

I recently switched to Verizon FIOS. When connect to ethernet port of Verizon ONT to a PC with category 5e cable, the download and upload speed are both close to 300 Mbps, as specified. However, when the ONT is connected to the Nighthawk AC1750 R6700v2, the wired connection speed to PC dropped to about 110-130 Mpbs. The 5G WIFI connection is also aorund similar speed. I upgraded to the latest firmware 1.0.4.106_10.0.080, there is no chnage. I did a router reset and got no improvement. After extensive search on internet, I found a suggested solution: going back to the firmware version 1.0.2.52_1.0.39. With the old firmware version, I now get the the download and upload speed both close to 300 Mbps for wired connection to a PC. The 5G WIFI connection is also aorund 300Mbps where close to the router. This is certianly a possible solution to the slow speed problem. However, the old firmware was created in 2018, numerous security fixes in the AC1750 firmware have been published since then. If I stay with the old firmware, what are the potential security risks am I exposed to? I would like to get your sauggestions on a better solution. Is netgear working on a firmware solution to restore the speed while keeping all the sureity fixes?   

Thanks in advance!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JXB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: AC1750 R6700v2 slow speed with both wired and wirless conncection to FIOS using latest firmware

Thanks for the reply. FIOS uses an optical network terminal (ONT) for connecting to network instead of a modem. The router is directly connected to the TCP/IP port of the ONT. I solved my problem over a week ago with a factory reset of the router after installing the latest firmware. I believe that the problem was originated from the Armor security status of the new firmware. Although I did not renew my Armor security after trial period, the Armor security was off but still “activated”, which slowed down the router. However, there is no option in admin page to deactivate the Armor. The only way appears to be factory reset or go back to very old firmware before Netgear added Armor option to the router firmware.

By the way, my router is R6400v2, instead of R6700v2. However, this solution should be applicable to all AC1700 routers.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: AC1750 R6700v2 slow speed with both wired and wirless conncection to FIOS using latest firmware

Is the FIos modem set to modem only? If not you may want to set your R6700v2 to AP mode so you can use the ethernet ports and the wifi and not have a conflict with 2 routers.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
JXB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. FIOS uses an optical network terminal (ONT) for connecting to network instead of a modem. The router is directly connected to the TCP/IP port of the ONT. I solved my problem over a week ago with a factory reset of the router after installing the latest firmware. I believe that the problem was originated from the Armor security status of the new firmware. Although I did not renew my Armor security after trial period, the Armor security was off but still “activated”, which slowed down the router. However, there is no option in admin page to deactivate the Armor. The only way appears to be factory reset or go back to very old firmware before Netgear added Armor option to the router firmware.

By the way, my router is R6400v2, instead of R6700v2. However, this solution should be applicable to all AC1700 routers.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7