Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 R6700v3 ethernet connection works but not wifi

sleekone
Tutor

AC1750 R6700v3 ethernet connection works but not wifi

I have setup a AC1750 / R6700v3 as a 2nd Access Point in my house and all worked great for a few months.

Bought this at Costco

At some point the internet stopped working. After a few reboots, I noticed an amber internet light blinking but eventually I was able to get steady white light which indicates internet.  Once back up, I am not able to  connect to either 2.4 or 5ghz wifi. I can connect via ethernet cable. I have not setup an QOS or changed the Wifi setting other than pick the channels.  All pretty vanilla.  I have tested Wifi with both laptop and iphone and nothing works.

This setup was working fine for a number of weeks but now only the ethernet connection works.

the Wifi is turned on via the button on front of unit, light is on

Firmware is latest  -- V1.0.4.106_10.0.80, there are no updates

My internet connection comes to the Access Point via coax cable and Moca device from directv - DCAU1R0-01  -- and connected to internet port of AC1750. I have whole home Directv and use these devices from Directv

I use MOCA devices  throughout out house to pull ethernet off of our cable, and I get 75mb-100mb

"DIRECTV Broadband Deca Ethernet to Coax Adapter - Third Generation"

Why would my ethernet connection work fine but I can't get my Wifi to work?

Product Warranty Information

Product: R6700v3
Serial Number: 
Country of Purchase: United States
Purchased on: 2021-01-09
Upload documents
Standard Product Warranty:
Hardware Warranty: Available till 2022-01-09
Phone Support: Available till 2021-04-09
Email Support: Available till 2021-04-09
Chat Support: Available till 2021-04-09
Power Supply Warranty: Available till 2022-01-09
Accessories Warranty: Available till 2022-01-09

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: AC1750 R6700v3 ethernet connection works but not wifi

@sleekone wrote:

I have setup a AC1750 / R6700v3 as a 2nd Access Point in my house and all worked great for a few months.

Apart from the R6700v3  – AC1750 is a label used on many models that just tells us about the wifi speed – what else is on the network? Some sort of modem? And the 1st access point is?

Model numbers are most useful than a vague "something" device.

Message 2 of 6
sleekone
Tutor

I should have provided my complete setup, here are more details

1. Internet provided by Comcast / xFinity xFi Advanced Gateway (XB6) - xFinity XB6 Router (Wifi turned off, MoCA turned off)
I get the max speed of 950mb down, and 40mb up. eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:7.2.3.0.104
No devices other than Router below connected to 

2. Comcast Router connected to Netgear Nighthawk AX6 - RAX45 which acts as my Router and has DHCP turned on. This Wifi blasts my first floor. 2.4 on Ch 6, 5ghz on Ch 100. Firmware Version V1.0.2.82_2.0.50

3. AP #1 ---In Basement, I ran a  wired connection to a Netgear Nighthawk R8300 , Radio 2.4 on Auto, 5ghz on Ch 44 and 157. in AP Mode. Works fine. Firmware V1.0.2.136

4. AP #2 - The Second Access Point (Netgear Nighthawk AC1750) is the one this article is about. Cable comes from wall and goes into a Splitter (Directv 2-2150 Mhz, MSPLIT2R1-03). One cable goes to Directv Genie Box (works fine) and the other goes to the  MoCA Directv Bridge. The Bridge then connects to the AP.  I have normal Wifi setting default, only thing I touched is the Channels. 
2.4 is Auto, 5ghz is on Ch 153.  It tested at 70mb down and 40mb on wired connection to this AP.  The WIFI light is on, I can connect to both radios fine, but there is no Internet. 

My Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 for both AP's. Both AP's can be seen as Connected Devices on my Netgear Nighthawk AX6 - RAX45 

All firmware updated on all 3 Devices listed above. Comcast updates the xb6 when needed

=========================================================================

Some people may be interested in extending their networks with MoCA (stands for Multimedia over Coax Alliance). it uses exciting cable and is a great way to get up to 100mb (When sharing with Directv) to other areas that might not have strong coverage, or no coverage. .

MoCA is sharing Directv Network (Whole Home), speed is limited to no more than 100mb or probaly lower and uses Freq < 800 MHZ. Only use Directv brand bridges for this.  Other devices in my house have hit 100mb down and 40mb up.

DirecTV MoCA frequencies are

• MoCA band E goes from 500-600 MHz.
  • MoCA band F goes from 675-850 MHz.
  • MoCA band G goes from 500-800 MHz.

For Non-Directv Homes, I recommend ActionTec , 2gh Support , Model: ECB6250S02, which I have used and can be found Amzn. You will need 2  to create a connection

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'll formally ask for help since I'm under warrenty and report back any findings

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6

@sleekone wrote:

I should have provided my complete setup, here are more details

1. Internet provided by Comcast / xFinity xFi Advanced Gateway (XB6) - xFinity XB6 Router (Wifi turned off, MoCA turned off)
I get the max speed of 950mb down, and 40mb up. eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:7.2.3.0.104
No devices other than Router below connected to 

2. Comcast Router connected to Netgear Nighthawk AX6 - RAX45 which acts as my Router and has DHCP turned on.

This is not the standard arrangement for a router followed  by a router.

A more conventional setup would be to put the xFinity xFi Advanced Gateway (XB6) into bridge (modem only) mode.

Using Bridge Mode On Your Wireless Gateway - Xfinity Support

Then use the RAX45 in standard router mode.

You'll have seek help from a MoCA expert for that bit, but I can see plenty of places in that confusion where things can go wrong.

Have you tried putting the Second Access Point, the R6700v3 (please don't call it an AC1750, which could mean one of half a dozen things) on to the first router? No splitters or anything else in the way? That would help to eliminate some of those uncertainties and would confirm that the R6700v3 is behaving as it should.

Message 4 of 6
sleekone
Tutor

Good suggestion to try this second access point where the first one is located (wired)

You are correct about being in bridge mode. The reason I keep it where it's at is because sometimes I shut down Wifi in the house (teenagers) and still want to able to connect to the internet via the xb6. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to switch bridge mode off when I want to connect to the xb6. I have had no issues with the way I have it hooked up but definintely see your point.

I'll report back once I connect the R6700v3 to the wired connection

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
sleekone
Tutor

1st, Router works with wired connection just fine so no issues with the R6700v3

Looking at my Wifi connection on my iPhone, I noticed a 169.254.#.# address which tells me it can't reach the DHCP server and get a address from my router.

The culprit appears to be the Directv SWM splitter I'm using. I split the cable, one cable then to the Directv box, and one to this R6700v3 I have setup as an access point.

Once I removed the splitter, I was able to obtain a routable IP (192.168.#.#) on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Removing the Directv SWM splitter (2-2150mzh) allows communcation to the DHCP server on my router.

Recall with the splitter, I tested 80mb down and 40mb up so wired connection works just fine.

It appears I can't reach the DHCP server yet data is flowing up and down, there must be some sort of interferance happening with Directv. 

I have seen diagrams where a Directv SWM splitter is used to send one signal to a DT receiver and the other to a Access Point

here is what pulls the internet off the cable

DIRECTV Broadband DECA Ethernet Over Coax Adapter (DECAEPSKIT) (solidsignal.com)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7