Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 throttling speed

Vette_Dude
Aspirant

AC1750 throttling speed

The model is actually R6700V3, but this forum doesn't seem to know that model. Anyway, i cant get speeds over 200. My service is 450. The tech came and ran a speed test directly through the modem, got 458. He then connected to my ac1750 (wired) and got 158. Real crappy as i have been acusing my isp of the throttle issue. Great that it is on my new(4 month old) router. Netgear wont give me support, their warranty sucks, so maybe someone here can. What can be causing this? It is latest firmware. Either this gets fixed or i buy a new (non netgear) router that works like it is supposed to.
Thanks for your help guys.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1750 throttling speed

1. what actual modem do you have? 

2. what speeds do YOU get hardwired into the modem? not the tech.

3. what actual firmware version are you on? the latest changes, isn't always, or that version might not be the best

4. what device are you testing hardwired speeds on?

5. If you've enabled qos, parental controls, access controls, or traffic monitoring, try factory resetting the router. Make sure to leave those disabled during the install process. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Vette_Dude wrote:
Either this gets fixed or i buy a new (non netgear) router that works like it is supposed to.

You're aware this is the community support forum where members of the public try to help out for free? 

We're not netgear and threatening to leave is only going to make people less likely to help you. 

Message 3 of 6
Vette_Dude
Aspirant

1) Spectrum E31T2V1 Docsys 3.1 eMTA

2) I never get speeds over 200mbps

3) V1.0.4.106_10.0.80

4) I am testing speeds from a PC Win 10

5) I have neither enabled nor set anything other than the network SSID and password. All else is as set from the factory.

I was a database programmer and not a network guru, so I dont really know how to set things up, and therefore leave at factory unless directed otherwise.

Today I am experiencing intermittent internet (this happens a lot) and Spectrum told me that the issue is my router and not their service. I am really getting frustrated at having to fight this.

Message 4 of 6
Vette_Dude
Aspirant

I am not making a threat! I have been using Netgear for years and until now have been very pleased with their prioducts. I am in a new house and bought a new router in Janurary (this Nighthawk). I am having all kinds of issues and Spectrum is telling me the issue is this router. Netgear wont help me as my unit is over 4 months old. so I came here. When I researched this issue I noticed a lot of Nighthawks seems to have a throttling issue, and they went back a few years. That scares me as this issue has been around and doesn't seem to have been fixed. I should be able to take a gigabit router and plug in in and not have issues. If this issue cant be resolved, then I wasted money on this router and really worry about Netgear quality such that I wont want to buy another router from them until they resolve their quality. I am retired and dont have the money to throw away on routers that dont work properly.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Start with a factory reset. 

Push and hold it for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

Then during the install, don't change anything not needed for setup. 

then hardwire a pc/laptop into the router and speedtest it. See what you get. 

that router can hit gigabit speeds wired. but not if its ctf (cut through forwarding) has been disabled. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7