Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 - C7000v2 5ghz connection is unstable and/or slow

the_h_is_silent
Follower

AC1900 - C7000v2 5ghz connection is unstable and/or slow

Hello all,

I have the AC1900, model C7000v2. The 5ghz connection is very unstable, disconnecting frequently throughout the day. And when it is connected, the speed is very slow. Firmware version 1.03.03. The 2ghz connection stays connected the speed is not great. I have tried relocating the device in multiple places, I have it clear of other electronics and it's not blocked by anything. Signal should be great, and I'm only in a 1 BR apartment.

I started working from home and it's been a major hinderance, so I'm desperate for help. 'm paying for 1000mbps with Xfinity, and have contacted them numerous times. They say the speed is fine (I verified that it is with a wired connection). I have also contacted Netgear numerous times, and multiple agents could not resolve the issue, and my free support has now expired.

Does anyone have a suggestion/potential resolution I could try?

I read some stuff about how to find the ideal channel to use but haven't found a way to actually do that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: AC1900 - C7000v2 5ghz connection is unstable and/or slow

@the_h_is_silent wrote:

I have the AC1900, model C7000v2. The 5ghz connection is very unstable, disconnecting frequently throughout the day. And when it is connected, the speed is very slow.

5 GHz is faster, but has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz. It a matter of physics.

@the_h_is_silent wrote:

Signal should be great, and I'm only in a 1 BR apartment.

Any wifi interference from the neighbours? Any strange SSIDs visible?

@the_h_is_silent wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion/potential resolution I could try?

Use a wired connection? Always a lot faster than wifi.

Check the quality and the setup of your wifi receivers, the clients. The source may be the best in the world but if the clients won't play ball you are stuffed.

@the_h_is_silent wrote:

I read some stuff about how to find the ideal channel to use but haven't found a way to actually do that.

Manuals are always a good place to start. Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Specify Basic WiFi Settings.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware.

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7