AC1900/R6800 wifi on, devices logged onto wifi network but no internet

ElsaE
Aspirant

AC1900/R6800 wifi on, devices logged onto wifi network but no internet

My AC1900/R6800 has the wifi on, there are devices logged onto wifi network but they've got no internet access

Hi everyone.  This is my first post, so treat me kindly.

I'm at my wits end as I've spent almost 12 hrs now trying to sort this and am tearing my hair out.

The problem started around 30 hours ago.  Only some of my wifi peripherals can now connect to the router - including peripherals that are actually 'wired' via a powerline.

My pc (ethernet via a cat 6 and switch) and laptop (powerline) however are fine and I can access the internet without problem

On top of that, not all of them of them that are connected via wifi can access the internet.

I've checked the router and there's no outstanding firmware updates.

In the config I've turned off access control, turned it on, allowed all devices to connect, blocked all devices from conntecting and all variation of those.

I've used the set up wizard to reconnect, confirmed the mac address is correct, I've checked the advanced wireless set up has the radio on (I got desperate - I can see the wifi in the scan list), and done countless reboots via the web page (both the http://www.routerlogin.net  and via the local ip address. The statistics show there are some wifi packets going out and coming in.

On the actual router itself, I have checked all the cables are securely inserted, switched it on and off countless times, have removed the power cable and restarted, checked to make sure the wifi switch was on then turned if off and back on again, then did a network restart following the troubleshooting guide in the user manual - which resulted in the router internet light turning red - then I switched off the modem and restarted it and the internet light turned white.

I've done a remote check of the modem via the isp (virgin - the modem is the virgin hub 3) and they tell me it's fine. 

Much as I'd like to give up, I have a smart home and almost all the important stuff is offline (tado, hue, multiple lights, alexa, extractors...  aargh!!!) 

Can anyone help? Is there something I've missed?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

(edited to add)

Hardware VersionR6800
Firmware VersionV1.2.0.62_1.0.1
GUI Language VersionV1.2.0.62

Message 1 of 14

Re: AC1900/R6800 wifi on, devices logged onto wifi network but no internet

@ElsaE wrote:

I've done a remote check of the modem via the isp (virgin - the modem is the virgin hub 3) and they tell me it's fine. 

That's a router, so you have two routers in a row.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the virgin hub 3 into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate.

Hub Modem Mode | Virgin Media

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 14
ElsaE
Aspirant

Thanks for the info but I'm not too sure what you're getting at.  The virgin hub is set to modem mode so it does nothing more than act as a modem.

As that virgin page you linked to says:

Hub 3

• Enabling modem mode allows you to connect your own WiFi kit to the Hub 3
  • It effectively becomes a stand-alone DOCSIS3 cable modem

Message 3 of 14
antinode
Guru

> The problem started around 30 hours ago. [...]

What changed?

> [...] The virgin hub is set to modem mode so it does nothing more than
> act as a modem. [...]

So, you have only the WAN/Internet port of the R6800 connected to the
Virgin Hub 3, the Hub 3 wireless stuff is disabled, all your client
devices are connected to the R6800, and the IP address of the
WAN/Internet interface on the R6800 is an external/public address?

Are the IP addresses of your client devices consistent?

> [...] there are devices logged onto wifi network but they've got no
> internet access

> [...] Only some of my wifi peripherals can now connect to the router
> [...]

Eh?  Is the problem with devices connecting to the router (R6800?),
or with connected devices talking to the Internet?  At least one of us
is confused.

Message 4 of 14
ElsaE
Aspirant

@antinode wrote:

> The problem started around 30 hours ago. [...]

What changed?

Excellent question and one I forgot to mention.  I briefly used access control to block devices that weren't currently on the network.  I flipped it back to allow access soon after and since then only a couple have managed to briefly log onto the network and of the ones who have, none of them have internet access.

> [...] The virgin hub is set to modem mode so it does nothing more than
> act as a modem. [...]

So, you have only the WAN/Internet port of the R6800 connected to the
Virgin Hub 3, the Hub 3 wireless stuff is disabled, all your client
devices are connected to the R6800, and the IP address of the
WAN/Internet interface on the R6800 is an external/public address?

The hub acts as a cable modem. All router features are turned off, so no wifi or any config management available.

Are the IP addresses of your client devices consistent?

yes

> [...] there are devices logged onto wifi network but they've got no
> internet access

> [...] Only some of my wifi peripherals can now connect to the router
> [...]

Eh?  Is the problem with devices connecting to the router (R6800?),
or with connected devices talking to the Internet?  At least one of us
is confused.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, which is why you are confused.

There are two problems:

Some of my devices can no longer log onto the router network (both wifi and via an ethernet cable)

Most of those that do manage to log onto the router network cannot access the internet ie are only logged into the network, they have no internet access.

Message 5 of 14
ElsaE
Aspirant

For the last couple of days I've been fruitlessly trying to get this sorted and I think I understand what the problem is but can't work out if there's a solution.

The router appears to no longer assign IP addresses to all devices that connect to it.  I didn't see it before because all my devices have been assigned an ip address but noticed that one of them that was connected but with no internet access had an unusual ip address, when it should've had the one assigned to it.

I've read various threads where it could be the an issue around the access control or the smart connect - so I've tried variations of the config and nothing helped

So,for the last couple of days I've reuploaded the lastest version of the firmware, done multiple factory resets and network restarts and nothing changes.  It's still not applying the ip addresses.

Any suggestion what else to try or shall I just abandon it and get a new router?

Message 6 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [...] The router appears to no longer assign IP addresses to all
> devices that connect to it. [...]

"appears"?  Perhaps this exercise would make more progress if you
posted some actual facts, instead of your interpretation of the actual
facts.  What are the actual IP addresses involved?  What is the IP
address of the WAN/Internet interface of the R6800? (ADVANCED >
ADVANCED Home : Internet Port : Internet IP Address)

> [...] all my devices have been assigned an ip address [...]

How, exactly?

> I've read various threads [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.

> [...] where it could be the an issue around the access control or the
> smart connect -

Neither Access Control nor Smart Connect should affect any IP
addresses.

> [...] I've tried variations of the config and nothing helped

Think, for a moment, about how little useful information that
non-description conveys to the non-psychics in your audience.

> Any suggestion what else to try [...]

See above.

Message 7 of 14

@ElsaE wrote:

For the last couple of days I've been fruitlessly trying to get this sorted and I think I understand what the problem is but can't work out if there's a solution.

You have my sympathies. Has your troubleshooting taken you into the entrails of Virgin's self-support system?

Broadband - Virgin Media Community

The number of people here who understand Virgin/s broadband system will be small.

Even fewer will know about the R6800.

By contrast, the Virgin version of this place is a much better option.

My latest question is about this bit:

@ElsaE wrote:

The router appears to no longer assign IP addresses to all devices that connect to it. 

Where did you land on this possible explanation?

The rest of your message doesn't make much sense to me, but I am not a network designer.

For example, what does this mean?

@ElsaE wrote:

I didn't see it before because all my devices have been assigned an ip address but noticed that one of them that was connected but with no internet access had an unusual ip address, when it should've had the one assigned to it.

An unusual ip address?

The phrase "mountain out of molehill" comes to mind.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 14
ElsaE
Aspirant

let me see if i've got this right - you're hostile towards me because I haven't provided information - yet when I answered your last round of questions you ignored it and waited until I posted something more general to attack me?  Not cool.

@antinode wrote:

> [...] The router appears to no longer assign IP addresses to all
> devices that connect to it. [...]

"appears"?  Perhaps this exercise would make more progress if you
posted some actual facts, instead of your interpretation of the actual
facts.  What are the actual IP addresses involved?  What is the IP
address of the WAN/Internet interface of the R6800? (ADVANCED >
ADVANCED Home : Internet Port : Internet IP Address)

I say 'appears' because I cannot see the code/logs for what the router software actually did. Therefore I can only go on the limited information displayed on the user interface.

After the factory reset there are various devices connected.  Some display an ip address (the list of devices with IP addresses appear to be be a combination of ip addresses held by the device and are used by the router or have been assigned by the router) and can access the internet.  Some have no ip address assigned and others are displaying what looks to be awhat I think are called private non-routable numbers..  192.168.168 etc

> [...] all my devices have been assigned an ip address [...]

How, exactly?

again, I haven't been into the code so I don't know how. I can guess what the code might say but well, yanno...

> I've read various threads [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.

i still have one open https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/No-IP-address-being-assigned-to-device/td-p/...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Router-not-assigning-IP-addresses-after-power-...

> [...] where it could be the an issue around the access control or the
> smart connect -

Neither Access Control nor Smart Connect should affect any IP
addresses.

> [...] I've tried variations of the config and nothing helped

Think, for a moment, about how little useful information that
non-description conveys to the non-psychics in your audience.

Mate, if I knew enough to know what it was that you wanted to know then I'd run off and join the circus as a mindreader.

> Any suggestion what else to try [...]

See above.

Message 9 of 14
ElsaE
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@ElsaE wrote:

You have my sympathies. Has your troubleshooting taken you into the entrails of Virgin's self-support system?

Broadband - Virgin Media Community

The number of people here who understand Virgin/s broadband system will be small.

Even fewer will know about the R6800.

By contrast, the Virgin version of this place is a much better option.

I suspect you're right. Although I'm now pretty sure it's not the virgin modem but the router. Although virgin have been monitoring the internet connections since monday and have told me to give them a call tomorrow to discuss what they've logged. So we'll see.

My latest question is about this bit:

@ElsaE wrote:

The router appears to no longer assign IP addresses to all devices that connect to it. 

Where did you land on this possible explanation?

I run a smart home set up which has around 40 odd devices (including things like a nas, backups yadda yadda) so when I add a new device I assign it access and a fixed ip - which makes the ip address in use stick and allows me to name the thing.  I'm good but reading a mac address and knowing what it belongs to is a skill I truly don't want to acquire.

When I was first doing network resets etc I kept seeing the ip addresses that were assigned to the connected devices.  It was only after I did my first factory reset and saw that some of those same devices had no ip assigned when they were supposedly connected - along with these strange ip addresses for others that I began to look further afield.

The rest of your message doesn't make much sense to me, but I am not a network designer.

Neither am I and actually begrudge having to spend so much time on this. Once the devices are working with the router, they should stay that way *shakes a fist*

For example, what does this mean?

@ElsaE wrote:

I didn't see it before because all my devices have been assigned an ip address but noticed that one of them that was connected but with no internet access had an unusual ip address, when it should've had the one assigned to it.

An unusual ip address?

some of them look to be an internal non-routable ip address ( 192.168.111.xx  or 192.168.10.103) type of thing (that last number came from one of my alexa's that after saying it was obtaining the ip address and joined the network had no internet connection and dropped out just as quickly) .  I have no idea where they've come from as apart from my alexas none have a user interface until they're hooked up to the internet.

The phrase "mountain out of molehill" comes to mind.

One of the multiple factory resets should've fixed it and it hasn't and I'm damned if I know what's going on.  I've gone around in circles for the best part of 5 days with this and if a factory reset doesn't fix the problem then I don't know what will.  So this evening I've unplugged the thing and gone back to the hub - which is a hardship in itself because the wifi reach is so poor that most of my devices aren't within range

Everything was fine until I changed access control from allowing all to blocking connections. Now it's a mess and it's going to be quicker and easier to get a new router I think.

Message 10 of 14
antinode
Guru

> let me see if i've got this right - you're hostile towards me [...]

Which "you" is that?

> [...] when I answered your last round of questions you ignored it
> [...]

You seem not to realize that I'm not paid for providing prompt
responses here.  If the service is too slow for you, the you might
contact someone at Netgear support.

As for answering the questions, consider the following exchange:

> > So, you have only the WAN/Internet port of the R6800 connected to the
> > Virgin Hub 3, the Hub 3 wireless stuff is disabled, all your client
> > devices are connected to the R6800, and the IP address of the
> > WAN/Internet interface on the R6800 is an external/public address?
>
> The hub acts as a cable modem. All router features are turned off, so no
> wifi or any config management available.

Count the questions.  Count the answers.  Compare.  In particular:

[...] and the IP address of the WAN/Internet interface on the
      R6800 is an external/public address?

Still a mystery.

> [...] I can only go on the limited information displayed on the user
> interface.

And all I get is your assessment of that, which is much less

satisfactory.

> [...] (the list of devices with IP addresses appear to be [...]

> [...] others are displaying what looks to be [...]

"appear"?  "looks to be"?   Which part of "some actual facts" was
unclear?  Revealing your local/private IP addresses carries no security
penalty.   An actual example or two would be worth more than all the
vague descriptions which you could possibly provide.

> >    How, exactly?
>
> again, I haven't been into the code [...]

The question was not about the code; it was about what you did.  Do
you not know what you did?  I sure don't.

> Mate, if I knew enough to know what it was that you wanted to know
> [...]

Look for "?".  That's the usual clue.  If you don't understand the
questions, then say so, instead of ignoring them.

Message 11 of 14
ElsaE
Aspirant

@antinode wrote:

> let me see if i've got this right - you're hostile towards me [...]

Which "you" is that?

> [...] when I answered your last round of questions you ignored it
> [...]

You seem not to realize that I'm not paid for providing prompt
responses here.  If the service is too slow for you, the you might
contact someone at Netgear support.

Very true and I appreciate any help you give but you did ignore my reply to you and instead went on the offensive earlier, which may be your usual behaviour, I don't know. I do know I don't want to bicker with you, it serves no purpose.

Message 12 of 14

@ElsaE wrote:

I run a smart home set up which has around 40 odd devices (including things like a nas, backups yadda yadda) so when I add a new device I assign it access and a fixed ip - which makes the ip address in use stick and allows me to name the thing.  I'm good but reading a mac address and knowing what it belongs to is a skill I truly don't want to acquire.

Every bit of information about your network helps. That one throws in a complicating factor. We aren't talking about a standard router operation, leaving the thing to manage addresses, but something that you have tweaked to meet a particular need. (There may be other ways of going about that, by the way.) I wonder if this could be related to your problems.

As to reading Mac addresses, it is not difficult. I use a bundle of utilities from Nir Sofer http://www.nirsoft.net

It has a utility for just that purpose.

MAC Address Lookup/Find Tool for Windows

Just another user.

Message 13 of 14
ElsaE
Aspirant

The answer is that there's no answer to why my peripherals could connect to the network but no longer connect to the internet.  When I unplugged the netgear and turned the virgin box back into a router & modem I had the same problem.  So I went back to virgin, got them to monitor the network (then they had a nationwide blackout - just my luck) and when I finally managed to speak to someone they sent an engineer out.

Who swapped the box out and it was still happening!

In the end I had to factory reset all the devices (a thankless task) and now everything is kind of working (virgin only allows 25 concurrent devices to connect, which is a bit of a pain) I haven't put the netgear back on the network yet as I wanted a few days of stability.  Although I suspect the netgear will be fine as long as I don't turn the access control to block again.

I asked a couple of network people about it and no one has any idea of why it happened, so it's just one of life's mysteries.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements