Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 Smart WiFi Router A7000

BrianAlger
Aspirant

AC1900 Smart WiFi Router A7000

General Issue: Trying to move router and then connect with modem without using ethernet cable direct connection

Previous setup: Router plugged directly into old modem in upstairs bonus room to extend wifi downstairs to other side of the house.

This was changed when we got a new modem that was more powerful and technician changed the frequency/channel to avoid conflict with neighbor wifi drowning out that side of house.  Router became unecessary at that time.

Poor connection has resurfaced, so I thought i would try to connect the router to a computer downstairs to receive and boost the wifi signal from the modem that is still upstairs.

Not sure if that is even possible or probable, but cannot figure out how to make it happen.

Additionally; since the router has never been connected to this modem, I factory reset the router.

Could really use advice on if it can be done and then how.  Thanks

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: AC1900 Smart WiFi Router A7000

@BrianAlger wrote:

Trying to move router and then connect with modem without using ethernet cable direct connection

I don't understand.

You want the unnamed modem and router to work together without a wired connection?

It won't work. The R7000 can operate in a Wireless Distribution System. (Check the manual.)

Then again, your subject says A7000 but the footer says R7000. They are very different animals. One is a Wifi USB adapter, the other is a router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

@BrianAlger wrote:

Trying to move router and then connect with modem without using ethernet cable direct connection

I don't understand.

You want the unnamed modem and router to work together without a wired connection?

It won't work. The R7000 can operate in a Wireless Distribution System. (Check the manual.)

Then again, your subject says A7000 but the footer says R7000. They are very different animals. One is a Wifi USB adapter, the other is a router.

Message 2 of 4
BrianAlger
Aspirant

I obviously typed the subject incorrectly since I was speaking of a router.  I don't have technical knowledge on this type of thing.  Was just hoping to use the router as a remote Wifi booster of sorts, but it became apparent that it was only meant as a "sender", not a "receiver".  I guess the three antenna on the router made me think it could pick up the Wifi signal downstairs and have the computer wired directly into that.  Thanks very much for clarifying.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4

@BrianAlger wrote:

Was just hoping to use the router as a remote Wifi booster of sorts, but it became apparent that it was only meant as a "sender", not a "receiver". 

As I said, the R7000 can work in WDS mode.

"The router can act as router a wireless base station or a wireless repeater in a wireless distribution system (WDS). A WDS expands a wireless network through multiple access points."

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section Set Up a Wireless Distribution System.

It may depend on the capabilities of your modem.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7