AC1900 turing off without notice

jwemmons
Aspirant

AC1900 turing off without notice

I bought my AC1900 Nighthawk wireless router in December 2014. For three months it works perfectly and greatly extended the range I needed for my 3,000 sq. foot home. I have a Mac Mini on wireless, a work PC wired using VPN, 2 mobile phones, 4 wireless cable boxes, a wireless HP printer, and 2 tablets.

Several months ago the AC1900 would randomly power off either in the middle of the night when no one was using it or during the middle of the day while I was working from home on the VPN. My work calls and work PC would drop causing me to unplug the router to restart it. This has been happening for weeks. The router does NOT power back on by itself.

When I plug it back in to the wall outlet it doesn't always power back on. Sometimes the lights on the router wouldn't turn on at all. I would unplug it for several minutes and it would eventually power back on. At times the lights on the router would dimly flash then go back off.

I spoke with Netgear tech support and they had me install updated firmware but the issue continues.

Does anyone know what might be causing my AC1900 to power off randomly? This is wrecking my work and personal use.

Thank you!
Message 1 of 12
netwrks
Master

Re: AC1900 turing off without notice

It could be the power adapter, or possibly, your receptacle. Have you tried plugging the router into a different receptacle?
Message 2 of 12
jwemmons
Aspirant

At first it was plugged into a Monster Power strip. I then tried another outlet on its on and got the same result.
Message 3 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
Time to try another AC adapter for sure.
Message 4 of 12
jwemmons
Aspirant

That's what I was thinking. I'm guessing I can only use a Netgear power adapter. Do you believe this is true?
Message 5 of 12
HiSpeed
Guide

No, 12 VDC - 3.5 A is only required. If a PSU replacement doesn't solve your problem, you'll have probably to ask a RMA to Netgear...

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 6 of 12
jwemmons
Aspirant

Okay. I got another power adapter and elevated the router with some blocks to see if it stays cooler. Also switched the cat 5e to the cat 6 network cable (unrelated) to see if by chance I get better speed between the modem and router. Thanks for the suggestions.
Message 7 of 12
jwemmons
Aspirant

Thank you for the ideas!
Message 8 of 12
netwrks
Master

jwemmons, I have a dual pack AC Infinity USB fans advertised to cool Xbox's (does come with plug for receptacle also). Bought then through Amazon. They work great under the 7000.
Message 9 of 12
rpoffen
Virtuoso

jwemmons, Any feedback as to whether that has helped?
Message 10 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

No news is good news?
Message 11 of 12
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Probably changing the power adapter works for him.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E