Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC2100 ReadyShare harddrive freespace only 750GB

yorkee
Aspirant

AC2100 ReadyShare harddrive freespace only 750GB

I plug in a WD easystore 14TB usb drive I just bought from black friday to my AC2100 router and tried to use ReadyShare.  I can access the drive via a smb test on both my phone, mac and linux box, however, it only shows 750.5GB free space available on the router page.  Its a new drive.  Anyone has the same problem?  I am using firmware V1.2.0.74_1.0.1.

Screenshot from 2020-11-30 22-59-47.png

Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: AC2100 ReadyShare harddrive freespace only 750GB

> I plug in a WD easystore 14TB usb drive [...]

As descriptions go, an actual model number would be more precise.

> [...] it only shows 750.5GB free space available on the router page.
> [...]

750.5GB or 750.5MB?  How is the drive partitioned?  File system(s)?
You might need to connect it to a real computer to see how it's
configured.  It's possible that 14TB is bigger than the (lame)
ReadySHARE software can handle.  Or, you're seeing only one of multiple
partitions.

I can't (yet) see your picture.  In-line images must be approved by
a moderator before others can see them.  The time required varies.
Attachments have no such limitation.  Of course, attachments have their
own one-per-message limitation.

Message 2 of 6
yorkee
Aspirant

the harddrive is Western Digital easystore model:WDBAMA0140HBK-NESN

Its pre-formatted and its in NTFS format.  I am able to see the full 14TB available when I plug the drive directly into the computer:

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.55.00 PM.png

I can see some of the test files I upload using smb protocol from my phone via the router.  

It is showing 750.4 GB (750400 MB). I doubt it is the installation partition based on the size, and the fact that I access the volume/test files from my computer directly connected to the harddrive.

Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
yorkee
Aspirant

attached screenshot as image.  Thank you for helping me out.

Message 4 of 6

@yorkee wrote:

I plug in a WD easystore 14TB usb drive

That is way bigger than anything that anyone has reported to work with ReadyShare. I once saw a 6TB reported. Netgear claims success with a handful of 8TB drives on some routers. But generally the ceiling seems to be 4TB.

This list will give you some clues, although it is far from comprehensive:

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Your router isn't in there, but you can get some die by looking at devices with similar specifications. Something like the R7000 and R7000P are benchmark devices.

ReadyShare is a poor substitute for proper NAS with wired Ethernet. Netgear doesn't seem to be interested in developing the technology.

Message 5 of 6
Midwesterner
Aspirant

Hi @yorkee, I'm not sure this will be of much help, but I also had problems connecting a Western Digital 2TB HDD to my Netgear R6400 router using READYSHARE -- see my Netgear Community post referenced below.  The only reply I received from this community was from a user who criticized me for attempting to use my router for NAS  (...even though Netgear prominently touts READYSHARE as a "feature" of their router!)  My conclusion is that READYSHARE is poorly-developed and poorly-supported software, in agreement with one of the other replies to your post.  (As of today, it's no longer even working.)  Sorry I can't be of much help, but I feel your pain!

Ref:  my post from 9 Oct 2020 --

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/WD-HDD-connected-as-NAS-not-appearing-as-Net...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7