joshbgosh10592
Aspirant

AC2350 DHCP reservation outside of DHCP Scope

Hey everyone. Just received my new AC2350 (Nighthawk x4) and am pretty upset. I used to use my ActionTec (FiOS) router as the only router in my LAN. I had the DHCP Scope from .50-.70, and I had devices assigned static reservations (my media server was .253.) It seems I can't do that on the stock firmware... I do not want to install Tomato or anything else on this router unless I MUST. Setting a static IP on all the devices in my LAN through each individual device is not possible.
Is there any way to? I also can't seem to change the DHCP scope to anything other than 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.254. I want the scope to be 10.0.1.2-.254. The reason, I want to keep everything organized so I know exactly what IP address is.
Message 1 of 11
fordem
Mentor

Re: AC2350 DHCP reservation outside of DHCP Scope

Think about this carefully - first you tell the DHCP server to only issue addresses in the range A.B.C.100~254 (just an example), and then you try to reserve an address of A.B.C.95, and now you want to know why it doesn't work? It doesn't work because that's not how DHCP works - the reservation MUST be within the pool of addresses the server can lease. Now - with regard the 10.0.1.2~254 scope - what is the LAN address and subnet mask you have set - I'm guessing here - it's 10.0.0.1 with a 255.255.255.0 mask, which would make a scope of anything other than 10.0.0.2~254 "illegal".

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 11
joshbgosh10592
Aspirant

I understand networking, I work in network support ad a profession. My mask is 255.255.0.0, with the router being 10.0.0.1. The router refuses to let me set anything other than within the DHCP scope as a static IP. If it's an "illegal" assignment, why did my FiOS router allow it, and why can a Cisco enterprise router (3945) allow it? Think about that, please,before you get somewhat smart with me.
Before I posted this, I read through everything, and you seem to be more insulting than helpful...

Or, ok. If you refuse to call it a "DHCP Reservation" how about just calling it a static assignment? Does that make a difference in your reply?
All other routers I've ever worked with (since I've gained networking knowledge, including Cisco IOS) call it DHCP Reservation.
Message 3 of 11
joshbgosh10592
Aspirant

To add even more fuel to my argument on why you're wrong with what you believe and argue with every post I've seen on here, read THIS which clearly states "The Reserved IP address that you select must be outside of the DHCP Server pool." Now, yes this might be for a different device, but it proves that an IP Reservation does NOT have to be within the DHCP scope.
Message 4 of 11
richud
Apprentice

@josh Assuming your router is using dnsmasq for dhcp - dnsmasq can assign reserved addresses from inside or outside the pool. I assume in the interests of simplicity the web interface code is such that they can only be inside the pool, hence your issue. (details under --dhcp-host in the manual, if you wish to read it) I don't really understand why this is a problem though, if its set to get a reserved address it will be static?
Message 5 of 11
joshbgosh10592
Aspirant

I'm just using stock firmware. I actually gave up and just turned the Netgear "router" into an AP, since my Actiontec router/modem actually provided exactly what I wanted. Netgear's firmware doesn't allow Wake-on-WAN broadcasts, nor static assigned IPs to be distributed via DHCP.
My issue was: I had a LAN IP for the router at 10.9.1.1 with 255.255.0.0. I wanted my DHCP scope to be 10.9.172.x (all 254 addresses) while being able to set static IPs to addresses in another range, such as 10.9.0.1.
Message 6 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

joshbgosh10592 wrote:
… I wanted my DHCP scope to be 10.9.172.x (all 254 addresses) while being able to set static IPs to addresses in another range, such as 10.9.0.1.

Just a minor point, but if you count the router IP as outside the DHCP range and allocate all remaining 254 addresses then that would include 10.9.172.255 which is a broadcast address, and I would expect the router to reject that entry. But that doesn’t answer you main bone of contention, DHCP allocation outside the range of the DHCP pool.

Fordem is correct in saying that Netgear routers will typically only allow DHCP address reservation of addresses from the pool, and it’s quite possible that his reasoning is in line with the thoughts of the firmware developers. But like you I have come across many routers that will allocate IPs outside the pool in response to a DHCP request, my current Draytek 2950 will do this, and it calls that function MAC Address Binding, maybe to reduce the otherwise implicit relationship to the DHCP pool. The Draytek also allows the use of VLANS, so while I have had no need to try this, I would expect the MAC Address Binding to also allow allocation of IP addresses from a different subnet to the DHCP pool.

So, I can understand why you are disappointed with the DHCP functionality of the router, I don’t think your expectations are obscure or unjustified, but unfortunately I don’t expect the router DHCP code to change without a lot of customer demand. If you could state your expectations in a few of clear and concise lines I would be happy to pass that on to Netgear.
joshbgosh10592
Aspirant

Babylon5,

I can imagine other routers, such as your Draytek, calling it MAC Binding as it would prevent confusion. My Verizon ActionTec simply calls it DHCP static assignments.

Sure! What I would like to have happen is the ability for hosts to receive a static address provided by the router, without any interaction from the host. Whether Netgear calls it MAC Address binding, or DHCP reservations outside of the standard pool doesn't matter to me.
Message 8 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

joshbgosh10592 wrote:
Sure! What I would like to have happen is the ability for hosts to receive a static address provided by the router, without any interaction from the host. Whether Netgear calls it MAC Address binding, or DHCP reservations outside of the standard pool doesn't matter to me.

Thanks for that, I will pass this on to Netgear later today.
RS72
Aspirant

joshbgosh10592 wrote:

Josh,
I think what you're looking for is possible out of the box...

Go to Advanced/Setup/Lan Setup.
Define the DHCP IP Pool as needed, including the IP range you want to use for static assignments, and save.
At the bottom of the page you'll see 'Address Reservation', plus three buttons - add, edit, delete. Click on 'add'.
You'll see an overview of the currently assigned leases. If one of those is for a device you want to have a 'quasi-static' IP address, click on the radio button next to it, change the IP as desired, then click on 'add'.
(You also can add leases for devices that don't currently have an active lease, but I haven't tried this)
You'll be taken back to the previous page, with the static lease appearing under 'Address Reservation'. Click on 'Apply'.
After this, do a DHCP release/renew on the device you just defined the static lease for, and you're set.

Regards,
Rolf
Message 10 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Josh,

I have received a reply from Netgear stating that the R7500 will support Address Reservations outside the DHCP pool in a future release, but that the reserved addresses will still need to be in the same subnet as the pool.
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements