AC2600 Nighthawk throttling speeds

milnuts
Guide

AC2600 Nighthawk throttling speeds

On Black Friday I bought a brand new AC2600 Nighthawk from Best Buy.  Today I just had a new fiber internet provider install service.  I have confirmed multiple times that the ISP is providing the speeds I'm supposed to get, which is 200Mbps download and 200Mbps upload.  I've confirmed this by plugging an ethernet cable directly from the modem to my laptop.

However, if I plug the modem into the Nighthawk and then from the Nighthawk into my laptop, the down/up drops to 140Mbps/30Mbps.  I have contacted Netgear support and all of their "fixes" were dealing with the wifi.  That too is extremely slow, but if I can't get the hardwired connection to get remotely close to 200/200, I'm not even going to try and debug the wireless slowness.

My issues seems like it might be similar to the one discussed here.  Any help in diagnosing why the Nighthawk is throttling me would be greatly appreciated.  If I can't figure this out, this bad boy is getting returned and I'll find something else that actually works.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/AC1750-R6400-V2-speed-issue/td-p/1841364

Router information:
HW:  R7400

FW:   V1.2.0.62_1.0.1
GUI:   V1.2.0.62

Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: AC2600 Nighthawk throttling speeds

The link you posted to is for an R6400. Different router totally. 

You did post the firmware. thanks

What fibre box is controlling your setup? Some have an integrated router and some don't so it does help to tell us the model number. 

An easy way to check if the fibre box has an integrated router is to swich the R7400 over to ap mode. If everything works after that, the fibre box is managing the routing. 

Are you using any type of traffic monitoring such as parent controls, traffic monitor, disney circle, etc? 

have you tried reloading the firmware and factory resetting the router? maybe it came with corrupt firmware. a factory reset only clears out settings, it doesn't reload firmware. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> RAXE500->
Message 2 of 9
milnuts
Guide

Right, I knew it was a different model, which is why I created a separate thread, but it sounded very similar which is why I mentioned it.

To answer some of your questions....

What fibre box is controlling your setup? Some have an integrated router and some don't so it does help to tell us the model number. 

The ISP is MetroNet.  The box they gave me is an Alcatel-Lucent ONT.  I have not tried running it in "router" mode by putting the Netgear into "ap" mode as you suggested... yet.  Hadn't even considered that really since the install tech knew I was using my router.  Maybe I should not assume he gave me the correct ONT.

Are you using any type of traffic monitoring such as parent controls, traffic monitor, disney circle, etc? 

I have not enabled anything within the Netgear router itself.  We do, however, have a Disney Circle unit that connects via wifi to our network.  That is a very simple thing to remove.  I'll give that a shot and report back.

have you tried reloading the firmware and factory resetting the router? maybe it came with corrupt firmware. a factory reset only clears out settings, it doesn't reload firmware. 

I have tried neither a factory reset or redownloading the FW.  I'll try removing the Disney Circle device first, then after that I'll try the reset.

Message 3 of 9
milnuts
Guide

One more quick update.  I just removed the Disney Circle device, but prior to doing so, I ran one more speed test just to see what I was getting on my hardwired (to the Netgear router) Mac mini.  Interestingly, it appears the download speed is now correct, but the upload is 10x too slow.  According to speedtest I was getting 201Mbps down, but only 30Mbps up.  After pulling the Disney Circle, my download was still great (197Mbps) but the upload didn't really move, it was 25Mbps.

So maybe the download speed resolved itself, but the upload is still getting gated by something.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

You can check to see if 2 devices are managing traffic on your network.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3175739/how-to-identify-and-resolve-double-nat-problems.html

Message 5 of 9
milnuts
Guide

I have confirmed that I do not have a double NAT issue via the recommended method in that article from PC World.  

However, good news is that as of this morning I am getting 200/200 when I run a speed test.  So I'm not sure what was going haywire yesterday, but as of today it is working.  I'll keep monitoring it over the next few days to make sure that it continues to work.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Here's hoping it was either a setting or something left over from the disney circle

Message 7 of 9
milnuts
Guide

I plugged the Disney Circle back in after seeing the first 200/200 reading from SpeedTest and interestingly, I can still get the 200 Mbps down, but I see a cap on the upload of 25 Mbps.  So it would definitely seem that the Disney Circle device is what is capping my upload.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Sounds like you've found whats causing the issue. 

Glad to hear it wasn't the router but a device designed for traffic filtering!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements