AC3200 R8000 Slow gigabit lan speeds

iceburgent
Luminary

AC3200 R8000 Slow gigabit lan speeds

Hello. I recently upgraded to my ISP's gigabit internet service from their 250 mbps service. Unfortunately when connected through the router or my switch, I am only getting about 240-270 gbps. When connected directly to the modem, I am getting much faster speeds at about 700-800 gbps. The firmware on the router is up to date as are the drivers of my nic card.

My current setup is as follows...

Modem - Netgear CM1000

Router - Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC2300 R8000

Switch- Netgear GS108

Any help is appreciated as I am now paying higher fees for the same internet speed I had prior lol

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC3200 R8000 Slow gigabit lan speeds

Reboot the modem, then Factory reset the router, set up wifi only. Don't enable or touch QoS, Access Controls or Traffic Meter. 

Connect one LAN cable PC to the back of the router to test. Leave the swtich disabled and all other devices off line. 

See what your speeds are. Use IE11, FF or Opera to test speeds. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM1200 Modem |  Wifi Router Orbi RBK853 (Router Mode), Wired Backhaul and R8000 | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700

Message 2 of 9

@iceburgent wrote:

Hello. I recently upgraded to my ISP's gigabit internet service from their 250 mbps service.

Netgear advises turning of QoS with Gigabit Internet. You don't need it.

Did you reboot the whole network in the correct order? This sometimes helps after you have made significant changes to your network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 9
iceburgent
Luminary

Resetting the router did the trick. I'll now have to tinker with settings to see if the speeds stay. Sorry for the delay, intermittent power issues out here in Cali.

Message 4 of 9
iceburgent
Luminary

Just curious if anyone knows...

Will DHCP address reservation slow down my speeds? I was reading in the forums that the more router CPU used for options in the router, the slower the speeds. While I'm not completely familiar with the technical terminology, I can say my router was heavilly configured and after resetting, the speeds are optimal.

Long story short, I have a ton of wireless devices and I'd hate to manually set each one up to find out that all the work caused my speeds to dive.

Message 5 of 9

@iceburgent wrote:

Long story short, I have a ton of wireless devices and I'd hate to manually set each one up to find out that all the work caused my speeds to dive.

If these are wireless cleints, then there is no need to set up each of them. Just set up the wifi source, the router, with the same SSID and password and they will reconnect as if nothing had happened.

I do that all the time.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 9
iceburgent
Luminary

I prefer to assign static ip addresses for each item as I group similar devices in seperate ip ranges.

Message 7 of 9
antinode
Guru

> Will DHCP address reservation slow down my speeds?

I don't see how.  DHCP address provision is done once when a device
connects (and renewed daily, when the lease expires).  It's not
something which affects every packet sent or received.

> I prefer to assign static ip addresses for each item [...]

A _static_ address is one assigned to a device in its own
configuration, without reference to a DHCP server.  A _reserved_ address
is a dynamic address, assigned by a DHCP server, but always the same for
a particular device.  You could describe either as a "fixed" address.

Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

These do not solve the issue.  Unfortuately the issue is intermittent, meaning that after some restarts/factory defaults it will return to gigabit speeds temporarily.  Users will report back that the issue is resolved, however if they give it just a few hours it will be back to <300Mbps speeds.  I have a second Netgear Nighthawk R8000 from Comcast that exhibits the same issue.  That one I used as a testbed and flashed it with both AT and DD-WRT with the same result - wired speeds <300Mbps.  Sometimes I'll factory default it a few times before I can temporarily restore gigabit speeds, but within 3 hours it's back to <300Mbps.  This is all logged by a Zabbix instance monitoring the situation.

I do wish Netgear would at least acknowledge that there's an issue and that they are working on a fix.  It's silly that a $35 MicroTik Routerboard can perform this task flawlessly but my $300 Nighthawk completely fails.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E