AC4000 management interface stops responding after few minutes

ZarkoJ
Luminary

AC4000 management interface stops responding after few minutes

Last night I set up my brand new "AC4000 3x3 Tri-band Nighthwark Wifi Router(R8000P)" and it was going smoothly until the management interface stopped responding. Basically, if I am using a web browser of the Nighthawk app on iOS, the access it fins for no more than 5mins and after that the device is no longer responsive (i.e the web browser can no longer see it and same goes for the iOS app). All connected devices remain working without any problems and wifi remains working without any problems.

However, the only way to get the management interface to work again is to reboot the router and it will stop responding again after no more than 5 minutes.

Is this a known bug? Any known solutions/workarounds without having to reboot the router?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: AC4000 management interface stops responding after few minutes

What firmware is on the router?

What modem is it connected to? 

With new routers, there tends to be quite a few firmware upgrades. the R8000P recieved quite a few since release. If you did all the updates, I'd try factory resetting and reinstalling it. Sometimes the updates are enough that the settings aren't crossing over correctly and a factory reset helps quite a bit. 

Also, I'd try a different web browser. Sometimes issues arise with browsers. 

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 8
ZarkoJ
Luminary

As soon as I started configuring the router, it informed me that it must upgrade its firmware. The firmware is currently V1.4.1.42_1.3.4
The modem is Virgin Hub 3.

It appears to be behaving ok today and the mgmt interface is constantly available via any browser or the iOS app.

Regarding the factory reset - I am guessing the firmware will not revert back and will stay as is currently?
Message 3 of 8
labatt
Mentor

Yes. When you do a reset it is putting the configuration of the router back to out of box, but retaining what ever firmware is currently on the router. 

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

@ZarkoJ wrote:
As soon as I started configuring the router, it informed me that it must upgrade its firmware. The firmware is currently V1.4.1.42_1.3.4
The modem is Virgin Hub 3.

It appears to be behaving ok today and the mgmt interface is constantly available via any browser or the iOS app.

Regarding the factory reset - I am guessing the firmware will not revert back and will stay as is currently?

if you're using the virgin hub 3, its a modem router combo device. Just an fyi, you might have a double nat going on which can create issues as well

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 5 of 8
ZarkoJ
Luminary

Thank you both for your assistance.

Yes, the Hub 3 is def in modem only mode otherwise it wouldn’t provide internet connection to the router. That is a number one step that Virgin state which needs doing when using 3rd party router.
Message 6 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] the Hub 3 is def in modem only mode otherwise it wouldn't
> provide internet connection to the router. [...]

I don't think that that follows.  A more reliable indicator would be
the IP address of the WAN/Internet interface of the R8000P.
ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home : Internet Port : Internet IP Address?

If that's not a public address, then you might have more to worry
about.

Message 7 of 8
ZarkoJ
Luminary

Internet port is showing the outside IP address.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E