Re: AC7000 port forwarding issue

ghosttown
Aspirant

AC7000 port forwarding issue

I have updated to the latest firmware V1.0.7.10_1.2.3 and that didn't help. For whatever reason the port forwarding is not working. It doesn't matter what port I forward it seems to be closed when I check it against http://www.canyouseeme.org. It's definitely not my windows firewall as I turned it off and even allowed the rules but still no success. I did a complete wipe on the router and that didn't work. Any suggestions what I can do next?
Message 1 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

When you said a complete wipe on the router do you mean a reset through the web interface?

Did you do a factory reset on the router by holding in the reset button on the back of the router for at least 10 seconds until the power light turned orange and began to blink?  This needs to be done every time you change firmware in the router.

Also do not save your configuration in a file and then try to upload it again later.  Always manually reconfigure the router.

Message 2 of 12
ghosttown
Aspirant

I did a factory reset before I did the firmware upgrade but haven't done it yet after. Will give that a try.
Message 3 of 12
ghosttown
Aspirant

Seemed that didnt help it, trying to open port 1194 UDP for openvpn and canyouseeme is still reporting blocked. I contacted my ISP and they do not block any ports.

I attached some pictures of my router, windows firewall. Any help is much appreicated 

openvpn3.JPG

openvpn4.jpg

openvpn6.jpg

openvpn5.jpg

Message 4 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

OK What is between your router and the Internet?  I have an Arris modem/router.  I configured the Arris to be a bridge instead of being a router.  This got rid of double NATing which can cause the problem you are seeing.  You can check on this pretty quick by taking a look at what WAN IP address your router is getting.  If it is a 192.168.xxx.xxx address then you have a router in front of your router.  You can call your ISP and have them configure their modem to be a bridge.

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

What are you trying to accomplish?

For instance

-use the OpenVPN feature of Nighthawk to reach my home network while away

-deploy an OpenVPN server on the Windows PC so I can reach my home network while away

-deploy an OpenVPN client on the Windows PC so I can reach an OpenVPN server.

Also 192.168.x.x addresses are private - and not routable over the internet, so they are safe to post.  It's best not to post public iP addresses.

You might want to try the port check after you completely disable the windows firewall.  Perhaps also forward both UDP and TCP (I'm not sure if canyouseeme will check udp).

Message 6 of 12
ghosttown
Aspirant

I have a Rogers modem that I also Bridge it so no double NATing here. Strickly the R7000 router is the brain of it.

Message 7 of 12
ghosttown
Aspirant

Trying to configure openvpn server on my windows 2012 server instead of using the builtin openvpn on the router. Personally I rather use the openvpn server vs the router vpn more secure. Also turning off the Window Firewall did not help, port was still being blocked

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@ghosttown wrote:

Trying to configure openvpn server on my windows 2012 server instead of using the builtin openvpn on the router. Personally I rather use the openvpn server vs the router vpn more secure. Also turning off the Window Firewall did not help, port was still being blocked

Thanks.  Did you try adjusting the rule so that it forwarded "both" and not just udp?

You might also try forwarding a different port (say 49152) and see if that fails the same way.

Message 9 of 12
ghosttown
Aspirant

I did try both TCP/UDP and also tried port 443 but still didn't matter. I can try 49152 but I assume I would get the samething.
Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@ghosttown wrote:
I did try both TCP/UDP and also tried port 443 but still didn't matter. I can try 49152 but I assume I would get the samething.

Is the public IP address of the router the same as the address you see in canyouseeme.org?  I realize you are not double-natting.  We did see a case a few days ago where the ISP was using carrier NAT.  Their public IP was 100.x.x.x, but canyouseeme.org saw something very different. 

49152 is the first port in the "private use" range (which is why I picked that particular one).

Message 11 of 12
ghosttown
Aspirant

Interesting, I tried port 49152 and that works, maybe the router has set ports that you cannot use?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements