doox00
Aspirant

AP Mode questions

Hey all, I am using a pfsense server to do my routing/firewall in my home network.  I have an R7000 nighthawk router I want to setup and use just for my wireless connections in AP mode.  My question(s) is how exactly do I set that up besides just clicking AP mode in the router config.  Will the r7000 in ap mode still be giving out ips?  I would rather my pfsense box giving out ips, I just want the r7000 to handle wireless connections and not to do any routing, dhcp etc.  I assume I will also need to assign an ip to the r7000 even when in ap mode, is this correct?  Does this ip need to be static that I assign in the r7000 itself or will it pick up an ip from my dhcp server from my pfsense box?  Then finally can I use the 4 port switch in the r7000 as just a normal switch?  So just connect it to one of my existing switches in my network and devices plugged in will get ips from my pfsense server?

thanks all for clarification.

Message 1 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Re: AP Mode questions

Hi @doox00,

In setting up the router to AP mode, you have the option to set the IP to dynamic and static. The advantage for static is that you can access the R7000 UI using the IP address if ever routerlogin.com will not work. The R7000 will no longer provide IP addresses to devices connected to it and you can use the device both wired and its wireless capabilities. The routing will be done by your pfsense server. You may check this KB article for the configuration and also for features that will be disabled once the router is set to AP mode.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24104/related/1

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26765/~/disabled-features-on-the-router-when-set-to-ap...

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Wolf_666
Luminary

I have the same configuration, working pretty fine!
- Modem Draytek Vigor 160
- Router Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)
- NAS Synology DS1621+
Message 3 of 4
doox00
Aspirant

thanks for the clarification, all setup and working great so far.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements