Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AP1700 Modem/Router to just Modem with new R8000 router

LarryGSmithUK
Follower

AP1700 Modem/Router to just Modem with new R8000 router

I live in UK in a large old house with thick brick/stone walls and have now added R8000P as my router.

My previous config was an AP1700 Modem/Router logging into DSL with ISP provider providing external IP then hardwire and wireless attached various devices, including a HIKvision CCTV system which used a fixed LAN IP (192.168.0.xxx) with various ports open.

Now, in the belief I will get wider and better wifi, I have added an R8000P which is hard wired to the AP1700. Now I start getting out of my depth, so here are my questions.

1. Do I now change the device mode of the AP1700 to just Modem or leave as is, but with a different network name than the R8000?

2. If I keep it as modem/router do I switch off the DHCP of the AP1700 or reduce the number of IPs it can give out if I keep as is?

3. Now my CCTV PVR is going to be wired to the R8000P do I need to change its fixed IP to 192.168.1.xxx, what about the attached cameras? Do they all need changing too?

4. I need to set up port forwarding (80,8000,554), so I do this on the modem AP1700 which seem the only device with external IP, or do I do it on the R8000P, or both,

5. Do I give the R8000P a static IP, do I tell it to get IP from the AP1700, or do I tell the R8000P to get IP from ISP

6. Have I wasted my money and should I have just added some access points? (please be gentle)

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: AP1700 Modem/Router to just Modem with new R8000 router

@LarryGSmithUK wrote:

My previous config was an AP1700 Modem/Router

What's that?

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Not knowing what your modem/router is capable of, you are left to your own devices to work out how to put it into bridge mode. A web search would be a good start.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7