ARP Broadcasts in AP Mode

Bounto
Aspirant

ARP Broadcasts in AP Mode

Hello all,

I've been troubleshooting this issue for some time. I have a UTM device from my old job that is doing routing currenly. My plan is to use the R7000 for Wireless clients to connect to and offload everything to the UTM. However, when putting the device into AP mode, the upstream UTM device shows up as "Wireless" if I use the WAN port, as said to do in the GUI. If I move it to a LAN port, it shows up fine.

The main issue seems to be ARP responses. When I have a client connect and try to go past the R7000, my traffic fails for ~5 mins. After some time, traffic goes normally. I put a switch between the R7000 and the UTM and mirrored the traffic to a laptop. Basically, looks like this:

Client connects, sends out ARP broadcasts of "Who has 10.0.0.1? Tell me"
UTM device responds to the client via a unicast.

However, the client ARP table is not updated for some time. Has anyone else had similar issues?
Message 1 of 8
Bounto
Aspirant

Re: ARP Broadcasts in AP Mode

On the way to work this morning, it occurred to me that the reason the ARP is not getting back to the client is due to the fact that the ARP reply is unicast. Since the target MAC coming through the switch port on the Netgear does not match the MAC of the client, it is dropping it instead of passing it. So it's still an issue with the AP mode and the WAN port I think.
Message 2 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Havre you tried basic AP setup not to use AP mode (WAN)

simple term is below
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

If that fixes the issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 8
Bounto
Aspirant

Yes, that's how I got the gateway to show up as Wired. Still the same ARP issue.

For the temporary workaround, I segmented the network and moved my correct local network to the Netgear. However, this introduces an issue with the NAT translation on the WAN port; all traffic coming from the Netgear has the WAN IP and doesn't keep its 10.0.0.X address. The issue this cause some of my programs that connect to the UTM to break, as they are sending traffic to, say, 10.0.0.10 but are getting a SYN-ACK from 10.0.0.1.

Most likely, I will have to my NAS on a DMZ on the UTM upstream and continue testing.
Message 4 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If uou setup as router then you would have upstream issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 8
Bounto
Aspirant

I realize that exactly, because of the NATting it is doing. DD-WRT has the option to disable the NAT and I used that, but reliability became an issue. Regardless, it is still an issue with the Netgear not passing the ARP correctly in AP mode. After about 5 mins, the ARP table would finally update, but this is not ideal at all. This had nothing to do with GARPs either, as the gateway is broadcasting them out during the packet captures.
Message 6 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Put trouble ticket in with support. You will not go anywhere in forum if there if firmware related issues 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 8
Bounto
Aspirant

Aye, I was trying to see if I was the only one.

In more tests, the WAN port works fine, but there is just a really log delay before the gateway's MAC address is passed on. However, once a computer has been on the AP for some time, its ARP table finally gets updated. Currently testing how the devices handle it during reboots before I put the ticket in.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E