AT&T wifi calling not working with Netgear Router

jeg3141
Aspirant

AT&T wifi calling not working with Netgear Router

Hello.  I was unhappy with the wifi from my AT&T Pace 5268AC gateway so I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk X10.  I put the gateway into passthrough mode and disabled its wifi, so currently all my wifi is coming from the Netgear.   My wifi is great, with the exception of wifi calling, which no longer works.   When I receive a call on my iPhone with wifi calling on, I can hear the other person, but they can't hear me.  I reset the iPhone's network settings but that didn't solve the problem.   If I turn off wifi calling, the phone works fine, but I have crappy cell signal in my area so I'd like to have wifi calling on.   I don't know if there are specific settings I need to use on the Netgear to allow for wifi calling or if there's something else I need to do.  Any help would be appreciated.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: AT&T wifi calling not working with Netgear Router

The ATT setup for passthrough is a pain in the *** to get working right. 

A simple test to see if passthrough was working right? put the pace back in router mode, put the netgear in access point mode (leaves the pace controlling routing functions), and try it then. 

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 3
jeg3141
Aspirant

Re: AT&T wifi calling not working with Netgear Router

I think I figured out a way to use the Netgear as a router and still use AT&T WiFi calling.  I used port forwarding to forward port 500, port 4500, and port 143 to my iPhone.  I don't know if there is a way to just open those ports instead of forwarding them, though.  If I could do that, other phones could use wifi calling at my place besides my own.  

I've heard other people mention using my Netgear router in AP mode.   Currently I my U-verse TV is wired via cat6 and I found out that U-verse doesn't work well when wired from my Netgear router.   So in my current setup, I have my AT&T gateway wired to my house's cat6 and I'm using my Netgear router for wifi only.  So should I turn the wifi back on at my Gateway and then just use the Netgear as an access point.  Agreed, it's a pain in the ass getting this stuff configured.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E