× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX3000 RAX 38

Yuca
Aspirant

AX3000 RAX 38

Just purchased and installed a new Nighthawk AX3000 RAX38 because I needed a router that would provide WiFi coverage outside by my garage. I performed a speedtest and upload was 0.53Mbps. My security service requires at a minimum an upload of 2.0Mbps or greater to install security cameras. Is this system capable of handling security cameras? If yes, what do I need to do to improve WiFi coverage?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: AX3000 RAX 38

wireless AX didn't add much for distance because routers were already bumping up against their broadcast limit on strength. The only reason they reach further is more efficiency with lower signal. 

How far is your garage from your home (where the router is)?

What materials are in the way? Like if the router is indoors, and your exterior walls are brick, cement, metal siding, etc it can block that signal. If thats the case, then you'd need to run an exterior wire and connect an outdoor access point as the wifi won't pass through certain materials effectively. 

Message 2 of 4
Yuca
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. The AX3000 router is installed in the living room, but there is a kitchen between the living room and fartest point of the attached garage (60 feet approximately). Based on your reply, I'm assuming that a WiFi non-wired extender would not work either.

Regards,

Yuca

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I'm not going to say an extender won't work. It might. 

Its tough to say based on the info you're giving because materials in the way can matter more than distance. 

and easy test? 

buy a cheap 50-100ft ethernet cable (just for testing). connect it to the modem and then the router. Then move the router to where you get usable signal. If you can get it to function with the router inside the home, an extender could work. the cable lets you move it pretty wherever you need to test  coverage. 

Keep in mind that the extender won't have the same speed as the router but its to check signal coverage. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7