Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6 RAX 45 Wifi speeds less than half of ethernet

johntim14
Aspirant

AX6 RAX 45 Wifi speeds less than half of ethernet

On my RAX45 AX4300 I am only getting about 180 Mbps when I test wirelessly through speedtest on my computer. When I hardwire connect it to one of the ethernet ports on the back, I get 450 Mbps. In the nighthawk app, it says that the internet speed is 450 Mbps but I am not seeing that anywhere but in the nighthawk app. I have the antenna for my computer's wifi about 6 feet away from the router and there are no obstructions and not many devices connected to the router. I have QoS and Traffic meter turned off. Any idea how to get my speeds up to what they should be? 

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: AX6 RAX 45 Wifi speeds less than half of ethernet

Many things impact wireless speeds. the router isn't usually the bottleneck. especially if you're getting 450mbps wired. 

What actual wireless card is in the computer? 

Message 2 of 10
johntim14
Aspirant

I believe the wireless card is integrated into my ASRock Z490 motherboard and is labeled as Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz in my device manager. I get similar speeds when I test wirelessly with my phone as well leading me to believe that there is something wrong with the wireless signal being put out by the router.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway do you have? 

What link speed do you show between the AX200 and the router? 

are you connecting to the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz?  5ghz is much faster but doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. 

Message 4 of 10
johntim14
Aspirant

My modem is a Motorola TM1602A MTA.

I believe I am getting 450 Mbps between the modem and the router as that is what is being indicated by the Nighthawk app and that is what I can get if I am connected via ethernet to the router.

I am connected to 5 ghz.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

But what link speed do you have between the router and the wireless card? 

The RAX45 is (for the 5gh) a 4x4 antenna device that supports up to 3840mbps when used in a 160hz wide setup.

The AX200 is a 2x2 antenna device that supports 160hz wide if you're on the later drivers. 

What driver is on the AX200?

What do you have your 5ghz speeds set to on the rax45?

And what channel are you using? 

Message 6 of 10
johntim14
Aspirant

My apologies, I read that wrong.

I am getting about 180 Mbps between the router and the wireless card.

The driver version on the AX200 is 21.10.1.2 (from 4/24/2019)

I have not put any limit on the 5ghz speed on the RAX45 so I'm not sure what the speed would be set to.

I am using channel 64.

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

@johntim14 wrote:

My apologies, I read that wrong.

I am getting about 180 Mbps between the router and the wireless card.---That's your link speed or your throughput speed? How are you determining this? They're different. throughput tends to be 55-65% of link speed. I'm trying to see what speed the wireless card is connecting at and what actual throughput speeds you get. 

The driver version on the AX200 is 21.10.1.2 (from 4/24/2019)----Make sure to update that through intel. The initial AX drivers were flaky and didn't work that great. 

I have not put any limit on the 5ghz speed on the RAX45 so I'm not sure what the speed would be set to.---Log into the router through the browser and you can setup the speeds on the RAX. I've occassionally seen them default to a lower speed. 

I am using channel 64.

Message 8 of 10
johntim14
Aspirant

That is the speed that is shown when i run a speed test through Ookla and google. I'm not sure if that is the link speed or the throughput speed? How do I determine the other?

I updated the driver to what Intel reports as the latest driver 22.60.0.6 (released 5/27/2021) and after running another speed test, was still only getting 180 Mbps. I am also getting the same speeds wirelessly on my phone.

When I look at the settings for 5ghz in the browser, it says Mode is up to 3840 Mbps.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

How to determine Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection speed on Windows 10 | Windows Central

Have you tried a simple factory reset/reinstall of the router? 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7