Re: AXM765 to convert the SFP+ port to a 10G ethernet

jeagle97
Aspirant

AXM765 to convert the SFP+ port to a 10G ethernet

Is anybody aware of whether or not the the AXM765 is compatible with the SFP+ port on the R9000?  I would like to use it to convert the SFP+ port on the R9000 to ethernet so that I can connect to the 10G ethernet port on my RN626X.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi jeagle97,

Here is the KB article for supported device with SFP+.

https://kb.netgear.com/31408/What-SFP-modules-are-compatible-with-my-Nighthawk-X10-R9000-router

Message 2 of 15
jeagle97
Aspirant

That list was helpful, but I'm not sure I was specific enough in my original post.  I'm looking for to find out if there is an SFP+ module that will convert the SFP+ port on the R9000 to a 10G RJ45 connection.  I would prefer not to have to buy the MS510TX and be limited to 5G speed because I will have to use both 10G connection points to connect my RN626X.

Message 3 of 15
cybrex
Aspirant

jeagle97,

Have you gotten any updates on this? I have the exact same question. If not the Netgear AXM765 for 10GBASE-T, then what else is out there? The KB article is helpful for 1000BASE-T RJ45 Ethernet. Specifically, I'm hoping to get my hands on one of the new Nighthawk Pro SX10 Multi-gig switches with 10GB Ethernet capability connected to my X10|R9000.

Message 4 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@jeagle97 wrote:

Is anybody aware of whether or not the the AXM765 is compatible with the SFP+ port on the R9000?

As per a Netgear resource, the AXM765 (and most likley any similar SFP+ Transceivers) are not workable in the R9000 SFP+ port as of writing (and up to v1.0.3.6/.8). If things go well, the issue can be addressed, and the AXM765 will become supported soon.

@jeagle97 wrote:

I would prefer not to have to buy the MS510TX and be limited to 5G speed because I will have to use both 10G connection points to connect my RN626X.

You might consider an unmanaged XS505M/XS508M instead. The five port has a dedicated SFP+, while the eight port has a shared SFP+ port. A nice fit to the R9000 and your ReadyNAS as long as you are happy with port trunking mode like Balance-ALB. The high price tag of the AXM765 (yes, there are 3rd party offerings, too) might support this idea, too.

Message 5 of 15
PauLita
Luminary

Message 6 of 15
cybrex
Aspirant

Can you confirm that the Microtek S+RJ10 works at 10Gb speeds?

I guess what I'm puzzling over is this: The KB article doesn't have any 10GBASE-T "Copper" or "RJ45 Ethernet" SFP+ modules listed. I don't know if that was simply an oversight - and that there's no particular reason why any 10GBASE-T SFP+ module wouldn't work - or they tested the AXM765 (and similar 10GBASE-T SFP+ modules) and they encountered an issue.

I was hoping someone from Netgear might respond with more information.

Message 7 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@PauLita wrote:

I use much much cheaper Mikrotik S+RJ10 module 

If it does work on 10 GbE ... great discovery. https://mikrotik.com/product/s_rj10 claims "distance 200 m" ... this does somehow lower the trust in this vendor, as

- an SFP+ port does not provide enough power to drive a full length 100 meters 10 Gbase-T link, and
- the max. specified range for [any]base-T is 100 meters.

So well possible the popular no-name from SF, SwissGbic, et all might work then, too.

@cybrex wrote:

... or they tested the AXM765 (and similar 10GBASE-T SFP+ modules) and they encountered an issue..

Re-read my reply above please - everything is explained. No whatever theories or suspicions required. And of course Netgear does want to have thier own module supported and listed first.

Message 8 of 15
schumaku
Guru

My distributor (in Switzerland) does correctly talk of max 30 meters for the Mikrotik S+RJ10 for 10 GbE. And has a backlog of some dozen units. Now this transciever does support MultiGig - the maximum reach might be higher for 5/2.5/1 GbE.

Message 9 of 15
cybrex
Aspirant

My apologies, Shumaku. I re-read your response. Thank you for sharing! Do you or your Netgear resource know if they are working on AXM765/10GBASE-T SFP+ transceiver compatibility? I know the R9000 received a big firmware update recently, but I always wonder how long Netgear plans to actively develop feature enhancemens for the R9000 (it'd be nice to see a little more transparency - in general - about the support lifecycles of Netgear routers).

Message 10 of 15
cybrex
Aspirant

Case850 - you have a point. And I'll grant you your point (we're all keeping score on these forums, right?). 10Gb is a bit frivolous, but if you think about it... 800 Max theoretical 2.4GHz throughput + 1733 5GHz throughput + (6x1Gb Ethernet throughput) = ~8.5Gbps possible throughput.

Message 11 of 15
cybrex
Aspirant

My desire for 10Gb is purely to see if it works/works well. I don't have a NAS, and probably won't anytime soon. I want to use the 10Gb for backhaul between the R9000 and the rest of my home network.

The 8.5Gbps calculation was simply to illustrate that even without 802.11ad, there's still a potential to exceed 2Gb (via port agrregation/LACP/LAG not using the SFP+ slot), or SFP+ at slower-than-10Gb speeds (2.5Gb/5Gb).

But you're absolutely correct. This is an edge-case. These are not reasons to buy this wireless router for your home or small business... unless you're a geek or want geek-cred.

Message 12 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Many middle-class NAS with 10 GbE Interfaces can reach the peak benchmarking results under ideal conditions only, ie. massive SSD deployment typically, or peak numbers with memory or NVMe cache. To support the real-world constant throughput, and even more random access throughput, the R9000 networking capabilities are perfeclty sufficient.

There was a time - and it's not that long ago - where NAS were not able to saturate a GbE link.

And still as of today, most notebooks with GbE are still coming with mechanical or mixed technology storage blocks - ways off the throughout capability of a GbE interface, too. Oh, any by far not all Internet users have 1++ Gb Internet at home either. And those who have start to understand that this bandwidth is never ever available for a single file transfer into the cloud or half around the world.

The technology - and slowly the reproducing Internet and printed computer media - goes away from brute single maximum throughput rates for a single connection. Already the 802.11ac wave 2 takes this into consideration, and the coming up 802.11ax does take this and other networks in the reach in the specs.

And no, 802.11ad was never aimed to replace or compete with 802.11ac, 802.11ax, ... just like Bluetooth, it has its own niche functionality.

I'll try to keep you updated on the AXM765 compatibility should I get some feedback from Netgear again. It's always a little bit a balance to find the right words and staying polite knowning what I would expect in performance and quality from a router firmware on the R9000 platform.  

Message 13 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@Case850 wrote:

1 ) The R9000 is sold as a AD7200, the real world reality indicates it is a AC2600.

Well, in consequence, Netgear marketing should have used AC21200. Or AC22200 in AP mode. You blame the R9000 for something the all consumer router industry does: Stupid addition of theoretical link rate numbers. I'm laughing on this - and about all the monekys repeating this ACxxxx and soon (well, 2019 for the more seroups) AXxxxxx in technology reviews, in product reviews, in product tests. Come on, be adult - this was and is what is always was: Marketing B.S.! 

As I said before, and I am glad to repeat: 802.11ad was never aimed to be the better or new 802.11ac. It's another interface, another technology, another usage scope.

@Case850 wrote:

2 ) To justify connecting and loading the 10Gbps interface the R9000 needs more than just AC2600 capability. 

If your mind is setup for wireless and limited to the free 2.4 and 5 GHz band even in 5 GHz with 802.11ac Wave 2 (one day all the leading edge crap is really compatible on all edges and whistles - today the industry is still nowhere!) , indeed, you don't need the X10 SFP+ and four GbE interfaces. The maximum you need is an 802.11ac Wave 2 AP with a 2.5 GbE interface. Because this is the analogy you imply.

Message 14 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Repeating the marketing B.S. numbers does not make your explanation any better. The R9000 does still have a 2.4 GHz  WLAN, a 5 GHz 802.11ac Wave 2 WLAN (not 2x2 compliant yet why ever), a 802.11ad network (even if you deny it's existance and real world usability), an SFP+ 10 Gb interface (sotware bridge), for GbE swich ports (two can be configured using a software trunk to a static or LACP trunk), a processor able to run Plex (without massive transcoding). As a product, it's much more than a R7800. Netgear must however continue to work in what it was supposed to by since it's market launch: The leading edge consumer router.

Already the AC2600 designation is unreal marketing B.S. - as well as this WiFi router classes promoted and shown in tests and comparisons.

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E