presydent
Aspirant

Access Control Not Working

I use a strong router password as well as a strong WPA2 encryption key, and set Access Control to block all new devices from getting through my wireless router. Unfortunately, as I monitor my Windows 10 Network window, I see a variety of device icons listed which are not authorized. If I double click on those icons I can see its MAC addresses and can (and have) go into my router to specifically block that device (MAC address). Sometme later, another unauthorized device pops up on my Network window with a different MAC address and then I go through the trouble of blocking it. How can I fix this problem? Is it a defect in my Netgear Router?  Do these devices have access to all of my desktop computer's resources? If so, this is a serious defect, problem and I would appreciate your assistance. Tnx. 

Message 1 of 9
James_Watson
Aspirant

Re: Access Control Not Working

I also saw some strange device icons listed which are not authorized for my NetGear router several months ago. Cat Sad

http://twitter.com/xadave
Message 2 of 9
Pluto8
Apprentice

This problem has been covered in topic “New R7000 is allowing unknown telephones to use my network” under Security (an old topic from September last year). Babylon5 gave an explanation to this (but he is now listed as “Employee Retired”).

This has also been discussed on many internet forums. Even if the devices show up under Network, there is nothing to fear, they are not “in” your network. I still se a lot of those. One day I even saw a Philips Android TV under Network->Screens (I guess one of my neighbours has this model). The devices only appear when I have the 2.4 GHz radio on, and I started to see them when I upgraded to Windows 10 and installed a new R7000 router.

Message 3 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Old problem on Windows machines. It is the Windows Connect Service.

============

WCNCSVC hosts the Windows Connect Now Configuration which is Microsoft's Implementation of Wireless Protected Setup (WPS) protocol. This is used to configure Wireless LAN settings for an Access Point (AP) or a Wireless Device. The service is started programmatically as needed.

============

It is seeing those devices and I'm not even sure it reports it correctly. Go to SERVICES and disable it, should fix the issue.

Message 4 of 9
presydent
Aspirant

What I have seen on my Windows 10 Network window IS NOT some random wireless device in the neighborhood. Several days ago, my wife was at least 5 miles away (way out of range of my router) and the unique name that I provided for her cell phone popped onto my Network, and when I clicked on it to view its properties, the MAC address looked exactly like my wife's cellphone MAC address EXCEPT for one single character that could have been easily overlooked, but I spotted it. Therefore, someone is intentionally getting through my fully protected Netgear wireless router, even though I have a VERY STRONG password to get into it, a VERY STRONG encryption key, and have ACCESS CONTROL ON and configured it to BLOCK any new devices, and I have changes each of them a number of times to no avail. Therefore, what I have read on this Community Blog HAS NOT answered how this culprit is intruding into my router. Anyone have any better information?

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

try a windows 10 blog

Message 6 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Try disabling Windows Connect Now service. I am quite sure it puts up bogus spurious information. Before I did that I was getting many different phones connecting Network Map would show on my PC (not shown on the Router as connected devices). I like in a private house. If I take my iPad to one side away from the router outside or to the front of my house it WILL NOT connect. I had 2 or 3 different phones supposedly connecting and I couldn't see how. They would also sometimes disappear on a map refresh.

Give it a try disabling that service. Still have it, look elsewhere for help.

Message 7 of 9
Pluto8
Apprentice

Disabling Windows Connect Now service works for me. I first stop it, then deactivate it so it does not start again. But if I start it again, phones start popping up after a few minutes.

Message 8 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Yes, this is a fairly common occurance. Like this OLD thread on an MS forum (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/unknown-phone-appears-as-a-con...) for instance.

It seems to 'remember' what had tried to basically 'toggle' onto your network too. As long as when you look at the device it doesn't have an IP Address, it is NOT on your network... might have seen it, but that is all most likely.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements