Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Control Unresponsive

lpoarch
Aspirant

Access Control Unresponsive

I am running current firmware V1.0.2.46

I am trying to add a new device to the allowed list.
When I click allow, the device stays blocked. I am unable to change the device name as well.

What is happening?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: Access Control Unresponsive

Greetings,

Is this for an R7800?

Have you just upgraded the FW?  If so, please reset the device and retest. 

Definitely don't load .58 for the time being. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

Greetings,

Is this for an R7800?

Have you just upgraded the FW?  If so, please reset the device and retest. 

Definitely don't load .58 for the time being. 

Message 2 of 6
lpoarch
Aspirant

It is for an r7800 thanks.

Yes to updated FW as well

Resetting the router allowed me to add the device to the Access control list, but I still can't rename it.

What next?

(not sure what you mean by .58)

Message 3 of 6
lpoarch
Aspirant

CORRECTION: no to recently updated. I installed the new FW when it was released a couple months ago. I checked for new FW today, but was told I was up to date.

Message 4 of 6

@lpoarch wrote:

I checked for new FW today, but was told I was up to date.

That is not necessarily an indicator that you have the latest firmware. The update server sometimes lags behind the firmware on the support pages.

Version V1.0.2.46 is two behind the latest.

Nighthawk X4S R7800 | AC2600 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

Resetting the router allowed me to add the device to the Access control list, but I still can't rename it.

The newest firmware fixed that. But it breaks other things for some people. (It works fine here.) Which is why some users warn against it.

R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.58 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 6

Much thanks @michaelkenward!!

@lpoarch

Always use the support portal to see what FW is available for your router.  You can go back and forth between versions without harm.  You are welcome to try the latest version and if it works for you, go with it.

1.0.2.52 does claim to resolve the naming issue.  What we usually reccomend.  Grab a copy of the FW you are running now, and the FW you want to test.  Make a back up of your existing configuration.  All done in the router, takes 60 secs to save the file.  Now manually update to the new FW and test.  Performance, naming, and any other features you use.  If you are not happy, you simply revert to the version you were on, then reapply the settings configuration (.cfg) you saved previously.  Now you are back to where you were in under 5 min time.

What we recommend you avoid.  Restoring a saved configuration from a previous FW version to a new FW version.  Sometimes these configurations are not compatible. 

Last, I always recommend disabling Automatic Update.  Go to bed with a working router, wake up to a headache.  Inevitably, you'll be troubleshooting or down right when you or a family member needs thier internet.  Upgrades should always be planned and on your terms.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7