Access Control page blank on Nighthawk X10 R9000

lh12345
Tutor

Access Control page blank on Nighthawk X10 R9000

I have just bought (a couple of weeks ago) the Nighthawk X10 R9000. I set it up and everything worked fine. Then it had a firmware update to V1.0.4.2. This caused me no end of problems, with work VPN access not working and me losing access to the Security > Access Control page (I just got a blank page after about a minute of waiting). I have just been battling with the router and did a factory reset on it and reconfigured it manually. All was working fine and I had access to the Security > Access Control page again and I turned it on. This seemed to be fine. I then edited one of the allowed devices to name it and straight away I lost access to the page again - it renders a blank page. 

I reset the router again, got the page to render again and did the same. Enabled Access Control and tried to name some of the machines in the list, but after naming the first one I get a blank page again. I think there must be something wrong with the new firmware.

So, Netgear Support, how do I report a bug? Or is there something I'm missing?

On a sencondary note, I would have raised this as a support case, but having just registered my product (and it only being a few weeks old) the support portal says that my 90 days has expired (after only 21 days of owning the product) and says I have to pay for support! Come on Netgear, this is pretty basic stuff! 

Message 1 of 79
dave_b_18
Guide

Re: Access Control page blank on Nighthawk X10 R9000

I'm having the exact same issues as you (access control locking up with a blank scree), extremely frustrating, especially when I paid a crap ton of money for this turd.  I can reset it and things go back to normal but I am not a fan of setting my router back up every few days.  This is not the only issue I have had with this thing as you have also expressed. 

Yes, I've tried multiple browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox). 

Another issue I'm having in addition to what your experiencing is not being able to adjust the time and not being able to access the firewall using the management port number from outside.

Router firmware = V1.0.4.2 (which is the latest)

Message 2 of 79
lh12345
Tutor

Do Netgear actually monitor these threads? I wonder if they'll do anything about this. It turns out that the previous firmware update introduced this bug. So, you'll have to go back 2 versions to get the functionality back, or remember not to edit anything in the Access Control list after a factory reset. 

Message 3 of 79
AlienHand
Tutor

I have the same issue.  Reset to factory settings and it was fine on v1.0.4.2, but once adding back named devices with static IPs and what not, the Access Control page just comes up blank and of no use.

I would add that I also get a blank page for 'Attached Devices', under the Administration section.  I have to believe this is all related.

This is all very important functionality to me and I hope it is corrected with a future firmware update somewhat soon.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 79
xigman
Initiate

Netgear is well aware of this bug and has been for over a year. Take a look at this list of threads on the "Access control is blank" or "Cannot view attached devices" and "Access control not working" etc. I have had mine for about a week, and I'm returning it.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/X10-R9000-Access-Control-Not-Working-You-can...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/quot-Attached-devices-quot-and-quot-Access-C...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/X10-R9000-Access-Control-Not-Working-You-can...

Message 5 of 79
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

The issue has been forwarded already to engineers. We will let you know for any updates.

Regards,

Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 79
dave_b_18
Guide

@xigman wrote:

I have had mine for about a week, and I'm returning it.

Wise.  Mine's been trouble since I purchased.  Now that I merged PLEX to a dedicated server, I now have a business priced consumer grade device with limited control.  Depending on the feature set and functionality of the next firmware, I will most likly be trying to get Tomato or WART on this.

Starting to wonder if we were hit with VPNFilter malware.

Message 7 of 79
hodag
Tutor

Same thing, any idea when firmware will be fixed

Message 8 of 79
hodag
Tutor

Thanks for being on the ball, any idea when new firmware will get updated

Message 9 of 79
maddly2000
Guide

Same problem here, really annoying since I block everything and when my kids or guests come over and I try to add them I can't. How hard can this be to fix?

Message 10 of 79
BUFFBOY
Aspirant

no updates on this i assume....

------------------------
Router: R9000
Switch: JetStream T2600G Managed Switch
Message 11 of 79
astrobod
Initiate

You can use the NETGEAR Genie app to configure access control as an alternative method, by clicking on the Network Map tag then click on the device you want to block or unblock
Message 12 of 79
Doford
Guide

This is crazy, it seems this company doesn't fix issues?  I have spent countless hours trying to fix my ethernet ports dropping constantly...anywhere from 2 hours to 4 days I have to restart my router in order for the hard wire connections to reconnect and now I made the mistake of blocking an unknown MAC address with access control and now I can't monitor my network connections without doing a factory reset.  This is absolutly unbelievable for a $400 home router. I would expect this with a cheap router but this is the most expensive non-commercial router I have ever tried and so far it is a failure. 

Message 13 of 79
intby
Initiate

When do you expect this issue to be resolved? I need my access control page to work as this is another layer of security for my home network. It looks like this has been going on for about two months now and it has not been resolved. This router is not cheap and most of us probably cannot even return it to the vendor and even though you guys replace it with a new hardware, the issue is ultimately on the firmware so a new replacement hardware won't solve the issue.
Message 14 of 79
Doford
Guide

I doubt they will fix this problem being they already received the $400 for a useless paperweight. I am typing this entry from a wireless connected phone because my computer and the rest of my ethernet connected devices cannot stay connected for more than a couple minutes now. As for the access control if you do make the mistake of turning that on you can use the desktop version of the Netgear Genie app to view your devices you can't block any but you can at least few them. I went ahead and did a another factory reset on my device that I could see each device through the routers firmware.
Message 15 of 79
intby
Initiate

I know that will be the most cumbersome steps that anybody need to take, but I figured out a workaround to this issue until Netgear hopefully releases a firmware update after R8900-V1.0.4.2. Here are the steps of what I did: 1. I downloaded the R8900-V1.0.4.2 from the router's support website https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R8900#Firmware Version 1.0.4.2 2. Follow the instructions on how to manually install the firmware - https://kb.netgear.com/000058838/R8900-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-2 3. IMPORTANT: You must not miss the "reset-to-factory default" after the firmware upgrade step. 4. After you reset to factory default, yes... you have to re-config your router and now the access control and attached devices are now displaying. When updating access control lists, DO NOT EDIT ANY OF THE DEVICES in the web interface or any apps that you are using to manage the router. You'll go back to square 1 if you do that and the access control page and attached devices page will go blank. What I did was to "ADD" to the allowed and blocked devices list. If you made a mistake on the MAC address or name of the device, DO NOT HIT "EDIT." I REPEAT, "DO NOT HIT EDIT." The workaround is to "remove" the one that you made a mistake and then "re-add" it to the list. So far that is my workaround. I experimented with this workaround for about 4 hours and it works AS LONG AS YOU DON'T EDIT ANY OF THE DEVICES IN THE WEB INTERFACE AND ANY APP ON YOUR SMART DEVICES (Netgear genie, Nighthawk app, etc.).
Model: R8900|Nighthawk X10—AD7000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 16 of 79
Jdj52264
Guide

Soooo..
In a world where network security and control is PARAMOUNT, a company whose primary product, source of income is, in fact, network hardware, buries its head in the sand when it comes to communication with end users (y'know... the people who pay their salaries) when that communication is needed most.

Golly. I got to pay Netgear 400 bucks (or whatever piece of that price they get from the reseller) to make my network unsecure..
Seems like a great racket to get into.
Thanks a lot.
Message 17 of 79
dave_b_18
Guide

@intby wrote:
 DO NOT HIT "EDIT." I REPEAT, "DO NOT HIT EDIT."

I agree, this is where my router would lock up.  Good catch.  Pretty crappy though that there still isn't an official answer/update.  Has anyone here thought to move to WRT?  Or anyone who has tried it with this router?

Message 18 of 79
dave_b_18
Guide

@Jdj52264 wrote:
Soooo..
In a world where network security and control is PARAMOUNT, a company whose primary product, source of income is, in fact, network hardware, buries its head in the sand when it comes to communication with end users (y'know... the people who pay their salaries) when that communication is needed most.

Golly. I got to pay Netgear 400 bucks (or whatever piece of that price they get from the reseller) to make my network unsecure..
Seems like a great racket to get into.
Thanks a lot.

I'm quickly regretting not just using the SonicWall offered by my work and telling them that my Residential router is better...  Eatting my words big time RN, and my wallet hurts from this mistake. 

Now my ReadySHARE is locking up and becomes unstable, once I login to my router a select the "ReadySHARE" tab, it doesn't do anything, then I click it again to wake it up, then my files become accessible on the network again....

Either the firmware is jacked or I have a defective device (along with the rest of ya'll).

Message 19 of 79
dave_b_18
Guide

@mark26 wrote:

get voxel firmware it improves router in every way base on netgear firmware with out flaws got voxel firmware.com its just download  lastes hf /hw it hardware improvement but if you use vpn use non hw firmware.

Reading up on it.  Looks great but my CLI could use a lot of work.  I need GUI friendly.  Thanks for the req though, I'll read up on it a little tomorrow.  Leaning toward KONG.

Message 20 of 79
Iceman64
Tutor

I agree. This is also the most I have ever paid for a router, under the impression that I was getting the best possible router for Home Use. I'm using a replacement already, and still with ever recurring problems. Not happy with this Netgear router at all. Constant drops on both frequencies also a pain, on top of this new problem.

Message 21 of 79
Doford
Guide

This was suggested on a different thread. I'm gonna go with this solution. I checked Amazon and they have US versions.
https://scotthelme.co.uk/my-ubiquiti-home-network/
Message 22 of 79
LouisOjeda
Guide

I have been having this issue for months and went from thread to thread in hope of an answer. Netgear is litterally the worst router manufacturer on the planet and I regret EVER trying to give them a second chance because how could a company possibly no give a rats rear end for over 20 years???? my first netgear router.. dropped connection daily. My second netgear router died after 3 months. My third netgear router had so many software problems that you could not adjust ANY setting without it rebooting. and now we have the 500 dollar paperweight called the r9000. how could a company who knows EXACTLY what the problem is in ALL there software in every device they have continuously ignore it. EVERY other router manufacturer ON THIS PLANET!!! has the basic ability to ACTUALLY CHANGE ACCESS AND CONNECTED DEVICES SETTINGS WITHOUT HAVING THERE ROUTER SOFTWARE/FIRMWARELOCK THEM OUT NEVER TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS THEM AGAIN UNTILL YOU FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE AND THEN THE ENTIRE CYCLE STARTS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

500 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 23 of 79
LouisOjeda
Guide

oh. and one more bit of info.. I tried Voxels firmware and it still has the same issue.. no change.  If someone has tried Kong and has it working like its supposed to let me know so i can yell at netgear more for being so incompetant regarding there own product that we literally have other people successfully do there jobs for them....

Message 24 of 79
maddly2000
Guide

I understand that issues come up and there are bugs. My biggest issue is that Netgear has had MONTHS to fix a simple issue and they don't. This is the last Netgear router I will buy as well. Simply being responsive to customer requests with a 'we're working on it" or something. The frustration comes from no acknowledgement that there is an issue and that there will ever be a solution. You can have the greatest product but without having good customer service (which includes communicating and actually fixing issues) the value goes to zero. If Netgear thinks the hardware performance will overcome horrible service I think they will be surprised. What's baffling to me is that IF they combined great customer service with the great hardware they could do so much more business. 

Message 25 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements