Access Control page blank on Nighthawk X10 R9000

Jdj52264
Guide

Re: Access Control page blank on Nighthawk X10 R9000

I think perhaps it's time to consider filing a class action lawsuit. Netgear is NOT too big to take down via legal means.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 26 of 79
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

Engineers are working on an official release firmware that addresses this issue. I will get back to you guys for any updates.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 27 of 79
hodag
Tutor

Message 28 of 79
BUFFBOY
Aspirant

Can they also enhance the wifi strength to match the R7800 ?

Thanks
------------------------
Router: R9000
Switch: JetStream T2600G Managed Switch
Message 29 of 79
maddly2000
Guide

Thanks Bianca. Appreicate the update. Hopefully it's soon. We cannot see devices so it would be nice to fix that first and not worrry about a scheduled roll up of fixes. It's fairly important that it work. 

Message 30 of 79
Jdj52264
Guide

Think about it.
All it took to get a response after HOW MANY MONTHS, was the mere mention of class action lawsuit.

Message 31 of 79
Jdj52264
Guide

The one thing I've discovered, is if you use the nighthawk app (at least on Droid) you can see devices connected to your network. Same goes for Genie (Windows)
Message 32 of 79
dave_b_18
Guide

@LouisOjeda wrote:

oh. and one more bit of info.. I tried Voxels firmware and it still has the same issue.. no change.  If someone has tried Kong and has it working like its supposed to let me know so i can yell at netgear more for being so incompetant regarding there own product that we literally have other people successfully do there jobs for them....

Kong was neat and has a LOT of functionality but you will see a significant hit to LAN speed, so much to the point that I had to go back to stock.  I saw about 50% reduction in LAN.   Was considering Voxel but not if your still experiencing issues.

Message 33 of 79
KristinaS
Apprentice

@LouisOjeda wrote:

oh. and one more bit of info.. I tried Voxels firmware and it still has the same issue.. no change. 

interesting. i use voxels fw and i see all devices in access control page. with their names. i have tried to rename the name of my laptop and i still can see the device with a new name. what version did you try? i use voxels 1.0.4.4hf-hw.

Message 34 of 79
LouisOjeda
Guide

I used & am still using (mainly because it doesnt matter which firmware I use at this point due to the same issue occurring on both) The exact same voxel firmware you are using. At first it was just as you mentioned, I could rename attached devices, assign static IP's and edit and configure names and devices when in the access control interface. It worked for a day or two m inly because up to that point I had not done any large amount of device editing in either the attached devices or access control menus.

I had successfully edited all the attached devices with proper device and host name data and then proceeded to configure the access control lists with no issues at first. As others have said the "trigger" has something to do with the editing of the attached devices and/or access control names. After I finished editing both I thought that it was fixed with Voxels FW. The next day I added a new device to the network and I wanted to configure the device as I did the rest. At first it was fine, then after entering the device name I hit apply... When it returned to the list everything was blank. I tried the access control list and it to was blank. I figure Voxels FW could help but it only took longer for the problem to surface instead of a quick occurrence like netgears default FW.
Message 35 of 79
maddly2000
Guide

Found another wonderful thing..I purchased a NAS with drives for a couple thousand, plug it in and go to the Netgear Router and LAN Setup --> network reservation and that is also blank and wont pull up the devices. So now I can't set a reserved IP for my NAS. Awesome again netgear. 

For those of you following this thread you should check out the Netgear R9000 page and scroll down to part of the sales pitch. It says and I quote: 

Our support and community will always have your back

NETGEAR has round-the-clock premium support and an active community for any questions you may have. Help is always just a click away.

I would hope Netgear realizes that the community cannot fix the firmware and going months with issues that severely limit functionality are not going to get them any customer loyalty. 
Message 36 of 79
xigman
Initiate

Update: I have been using this unreleased or unsupported firmware version for a month now with no issues. Access Control and Attached Devices work and display, even after making a name edit to a device. I did not test changing the icons/categories feature.

The firmware file link was originally posted by ChibiKev on this thread:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/quot-Attached-devices-quot-and-quot-Access-C...

Here is the file link for the alt-firmware named R9000-V1.0.4.3RC2:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o1vbkwo4ogf3qlq/R9000-V1.0.4.3RC2_new.img

After uploading the new firmware, make sure and go back and select the factory reset link (it is called "Revert to factory default settings" and it is located under the Administration tab-->Backup Settings). It's the only way to clear out the broken display tables in the database.

Lastly, after you factory reset, you need to block auto-firmware-updating. Make sure and tick the "I disagree" under the Administration tab-->Firmware Update-->Router Auto Firmware Update.

GL

Message 37 of 79
maddly2000
Guide

Appreciate the feedback. My biggest concern is why is it up to the community to develop solutoins for a $500 router? Comments on this and a couple other posts....

This firmware may be unsecure. Why should we block firmware updates from the manufacturer? Oh wait, they put out updates maybe once a year if that. 

RE Netgear Genie, and Nighthawk App - you can see devices but you cannot do IP reservations or some of the other BASIC functions any $49 router would get you from Walmart. 

Unfortunately, I don't have another $500 to shell out right now and was really, really hoping Netgear would live up to thier promise to "have our back" in terms of support. How long can it take? They manufacture the hardware and create the code, it's not like they are unfamiliar and are starting with a blank piece of paper.....Netgear, please post a firmware update to resolve these issues. Regardless, the hours I spend posting and reading this and other sites trying to get this thing to work - never again will I buy a Netgear router. And I will be sure to let everyone know in my organization as well. (Part of IT support team). 

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router,R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 38 of 79
LouisOjeda
Guide

They have already lost me for life and I am going to make sure every single person that I know that is considering, looking for or purchasing a router now or in the future know EXACTLY how much Netgear could care less about there customers or there products. Whether they buy a "High End" (That term for this company is amazingly inaccurate) router or any of there other network devices I will make sure they know every experience posted in these forums and the complete ineptitude of there "support".

Message 39 of 79
Ra-Dzik
Apprentice

Hello,

I had the same problem. It seems that the problem is when you try to "edit" device on access control list (eg. if you want to change the name). Only one solution is (my version 1.0.4.2) to make hardware reset (rear panel of the R9000) and after that set all configuration again but DON'T CHANGE NAME OF DEVICE IN ACCESS CONTROL(!!!) You can allow or block device but nothing else do not do it!!!

Scandal! Router is extremally expensive, I paid almost $650(!!!) and such a big bugs are in the firmware! I think if Netgear will don't solve that problem ASAP - it will be the last my router from Netgear and I will NOT recommend this device for my frends and familly!!!

Message 40 of 79
Ra-Dzik
Apprentice

Due to this bug in firmware I have another tip&tick - remember DON'T CHANGE THE NAME IN ACCESS CONTROL - The name of the device you can change in advanced->admninistration->attached devices. The changes are visible also in "access control" option. And the most importantly for this case and this bug - it works by this way(!)

Message 41 of 79
nothingbutnet
Aspirant

For me it isn't just the access control page, but also the attached devices screen that is now blank.

It burns me that I just installed this router and got a dozen devices connected and a simple edit of a device name on the Access Control page has made it impossible to add the rest of my devices unless I reset the router and start over.

Please get the firmware update out ASAP and stop this madness. Cat Frustrated

Message 42 of 79
maddly2000
Guide

**crickets chirping**.........................per usual......

Message 43 of 79
Ra-Dzik
Apprentice

@nothingbutnet I'm not a Netgear employere :-) (fortunately ;-))

I'm writing only hint for this problem. Based on my expirience if need to use this device now, then you need to hard-reset R9000 and after that do this by way like I'm wrote in above post it's works now. I also can not forgive that NetGear makes such trivial mistakes in firmware :-( and their technical support can not help :-(
Message 44 of 79
Mark_Spilker
Aspirant

Our company is using the R9000 & sure enough, when I edited a name, I lost the ability to provide network access to devices or see attached devices.

That was a mistake.

Message 45 of 79
dave_b_18
Guide

K. So what's the plan here guys? I'm ready to put in some effort because this really has pissed me off. Especially since I'm past my return date now (which is purposely what Netgear is doing).

Is it time for some BBB ratings? All of you hopefully bought yours at Amazon, if so, please give bad reviews. Maybe Facebook post, linking this thread? Warning family members?

I'm not one to sue, but wouldn't mind getting my money back on this junk and maybe something back for the time that I spent researching and looking for solutions.. In addition to the pointless calls to Netgear...

Let's do this! We can organize our rally here..
Message 46 of 79
Ra-Dzik
Apprentice

Dave,

that's right I'm also very angry! My tech-support gave me wrong answer that this bug is only in the last firmware version - that is not true! This bug was also in previous versions(!) I installed 3-previouse version and problem is the same(!)

In my opinion software is NOT detailed tested by NetGear for exclusive and very expensive router R9000 - unfortunately :-( It seems that we have to wait for next version of firmware but in the future we have to seriously think about to choose Netgear device or another manufacturer and whether Netgear is worth the price ??? !!!

I'm also disappointed

Radek

Message 47 of 79
Mark_Spilker
Aspirant

I also went back to an earlier version, 2.10 I think, and this was still an issue.

Message 48 of 79
maddly2000
Guide

From the "too funny to believe" file....I opened my netgear app to check something on my r9000 and an ad popped up for 90 days free Netgear Armor security protection....all I need to do is upgrade the firmware and sign up. There was a link to a video that said how great the support was and that Netgear folks are super smart and we should all do this. Don't they realize that when they can't even make a simple text file update properly for 5 months that nobody who has one of their devices is going to believe that spending more money with Netgear is a good idea or that the engineers are actually very smart? How hard can this be to fix?

Message 49 of 79
R9000help
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problems. I just posted a question about this very same issue with the "Security" tag hoping somone else has found a solution. So far, I havent read anything that has been successful, other than those that are switching to a non-Netgear FW.

I hope Netgear is reading all the complaints about this and comes up with a solution.  If we all start giving this device one star reviews on Amazon, Newegg, and all the other sites, I bet they will find a solution alot faster.

Message 50 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements