Access Control page blank on Nighthawk X10 R9000

maddly2000
Guide

Re: Access Control page blank on Nighthawk X10 R9000

I finally gave up on waiting after 9 months for a basic fix. My netgear nighthawk r9000 now gathers dust on the shelf in my garage. Never ever will I buy another Netgear product and I am sharing my experience with family and friends often and loudly because it's annoying as heck that they don't care and don't respond.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 51 of 79
maddly2000
Guide

I finally gave up on waiting after 9 months for a basic fix. My netgear nighthawk r9000 now gathers dust on the shelf in my garage. Never ever will I buy another Netgear product and I am sharing my experience with family and friends often and loudly because its annoying as heck that they don't care and don't respond.

SORRY about the duplicate post...the message board said there was an error and to try again in a few minutes....but it actually posted....they can't even get a basic message board to work right Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 79
Mark_Spilker
Aspirant

I found the version V1.04.3RC, which I attached does resolve the issue.  I don't think it's an official Netgear piece of software though. I attached it.

Message 53 of 79
Iceman64
Tutor

At this point I have to agree with you. I have been patiently waiting for Netgear to address the issue, and it appears that they will not. I am disappointed and I also will never buy another Netgear product.

Message 54 of 79
DM242
Aspirant

Netgear,
do you have a update on the firmware release date or if it will adress this issue? The first post was made in June, its been a few months now. Think most of us here would appriciate a update. Seems some have had this problem even longer.

R9000 is a very expensive router, which I've been very happy with, until i got this access control error. But that seems like a minor firmware error? Should be a hotfixable problem? Would appriciate if we could get some kind of information update. A few questions I'd like to be answered are these:

- Will the bug in access controll be adressed in the next patch?
- When is the patch due? If you cant give us a specific date, what month, what quarter?

Thanks in advance.
/DM

Message 55 of 79
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dm242

Yes we are aware of the issues and are working on a firmware for a fix.

DarrenM

Message 56 of 79
R9000help
Aspirant

I too am eagerly awaiting an OEM solution to this same problem! 

Message 57 of 79
Gumboyaya
Initiate

Replying to follow this thread as I just purchased this router and immediately experienced this bug.  Not quite happy about it as I was using an R8000 before that died and I leveraged the access list and QoS, which both do not appear to function on this model.  I may return this as it's ridiculous to have specific features not supported out of the box that are listed on box as features.

Message 58 of 79
TunaKaPooh
Tutor

Had this same issue for a long time, they replaced the router once but after the updates I’m back to having the same issue, I put the router on the shelf for a month while I set my network up with a Cisco router figuring I’d use it as an access point. After setting it up as an access point, I’m back with the access issue, even in access point mode. Since I’m considering a class action law suit I figured I’d see how many people are still having this problem. It a shame to have to shelf a companies flagship product. I now have a 400$ P.O.S. Sitting on my shelf, I’ve been a loyal NetGear customer up till now, No More! 

Message 59 of 79
Donddond
Tutor

Hello --

I am glad to read that you are working on a fix to this embarrassing problem that we've been putting up for all too long. Please provide an estimate as to when this problem will be resolved! Will it most likely be in the form of a patch or rather will a fix be part of any pending major enhancement release that might offer common whitelist, blacklist and more granular security configuration features gor this high-end hardware?
Message 60 of 79
dwstanley
Aspirant

I wish I had found this post before all the headaches.  I've had my R9000 for over a year (way out of the 90 day support) but I called them anyway and complained about my devices disappearing.  I guess many people are complaining, because they sent me a new one in hopes my problems go away.  What I don't understand is if they knew there's a firmware issue, why would they allow support to go to the expense to send me a replacement?  I received the new router today, but from everything I've read here it won't make a difference. 

I see a new firmware version is out V1.0.4.12 however it does not mention anything about fixes to "Access Control".  Has anyone tried this?

David

Message 61 of 79
Donddond
Tutor

I understand that a fix is in the works and perhaps being tested but I tried v..12 and it does not by itself resolve the blank Access Control page issue.
Message 62 of 79
Jdj52264
Guide

Didn't fix a damn thing as far as I can tell.
I was given beta fw by Netgear a few weeks back, but have been exceedingly hesitant to install it, the longer this goes on. 

Message 63 of 79
schumaku
Guru

@Jdj52264 wrote:
Didn't fix a damn thing as far as I can tell.

I was given beta fw by Netgear a few weeks back, but have been exceedingly hesitant to install it, ...
@Donddond wrote:
I understand that a fix is in the works and perhaps being tested but I tried v..12 and it does not by itself resolve the blank Access Control page issue.

Unlikely .12 will magically fix a corrupted installation/data - making the Attached Device data load fail. The dream is alive the new firmware does no longer crash the config when managing the router using different options in the Web Genie, Genie App, and Nighthawk App. I fear users experiencing this issue have to go the hard way of a factory reset and reconfiguration.

It might be a little bit difficult to understand what we "out here" expect - but then we should help them and run Beta firmware when provided (for a reason...).

@ErnestTheGreat read threads like these and understand what will happen to Netgear if things are not changing ASAP:

Message 64 of 79
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

No the current release didnt have a fix for this PM me as I can get you the beta firmware to resolve the Access control issues.

DarrenM

Message 65 of 79
maddly2000
Guide

Big surprise. They really are lost in terms of connection to the customers. It's been over a year, so I gave up and my R9000 now collects dust in the garage.

Message 66 of 79
Donddond
Tutor

The Beta (RC) firmware (offered by Netgear per these pages) does indeed seem to correct the missing Access Control page and related data. I did NOT need to re-enter any configuration data for the attached network devices; I could not immediately detect any corruption once the "missing" Access data and related functionality were restored. I presume and hope that this correction would make it into the next firmware update (POST version ...12) once it is fully integrated and tested. Meanwhile, this Beta firmware is very promising.
Message 67 of 79
schumaku
Guru

@Donddond wrote:
The Beta (RC) firmware (offered by Netgear per these pages) does indeed seem to correct the missing Access Control page and related data..

What version number is shown on this Beta?

Message 68 of 79
Donddond
Tutor

The Beta firmware from Netgear is v1.0.4.3RC, so I do not know what features it may lack or specifically differ from the most recent, higher numbered firmware update. This RC should be obtained from Netgear so that they can track results /feedback prior to broad release once it can be formally verified.

Message 69 of 79
HelixR9000
Tutor

Newest firmware did no fix this for me, I have sent a PM to requesting the beta firmware that will hopefully fix this issue. I used Access Control on a daily basis and with the previous firmware I have been unable to use it for months. 

Message 70 of 79
schumaku
Guru

@HelixR9000 wrote:

Newest firmware did no fix this for me, I have sent a PM to requesting the beta firmware that will hopefully fix this issue.

If the "newset" is still the v1.0.4.3RC - of course it can't have a fix for this: This build is much older. As per the Beta agreement we're not alowed to discuss this here - please use the dedicated Beta forum.

Message 71 of 79
HelixR9000
Tutor

I am not refering to the beta . . .

I am refering to the latest official firmware. Therefore I am "allowed" to discuss this here.

Toodles.

Message 72 of 79
schumaku
Guru

Nobody said the 1.0.4.12 does address the issue. Convinced they will add you to the Beta during office time next week.

Message 73 of 79
HelixR9000
Tutor

Cool

Message 74 of 79
LouisOjeda
Guide

Update:

As of 10/12/2018 I no longer use any Netgear product. My personal life & my business as well as the clients I provide network services to also no longer use any Netgear device for there businesses or homes. For the last 5 months I have slowly been transitioning all Netgear devices out of use and have now finished removing and replacing all Netgear devices from all of my current clientele. I explained to them that I would no longer support or purchase any Netgear device due to there lack of competancy and a glaring lack of product support that has occurred now for the better part of a decade. My explanation was to simply state the obvious support issues and the unnacceptable lack of basic knowhow that there competitiors seem to have no problems with. Since the very first time I posted here on this particular topic I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on coming up with ANY solution in a reasonable timeframe for what seems to be nothing more then not being able to modify or save a simple text file without causing the loss of what is now considered "basic" router functionality that is expected from ALL current router manufacturers right out of the box.

Replacing all the Netgear devices took time, all while trying to minimize the loss in connectivity that replacing those devices would bring. Even though replacing the devices cost me in the end I feel that it is a price that will serve me better now and in the future just so I do not have to go through any of this again.

Message 75 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements