Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Control strange behavior

Florisz
Tutor

Access Control strange behavior

Hello other R7800 users/owners and support,

I have 3 IP cams. 2 wired and 1 new that has wifi and/or wired as well. For the 2 wired I have set up access control to block network access. I have set fixed IP's in the cams and in the router as well. I see the devices red marked in the access controll list, but I can still access the webinterfaces of the cams through either a computer connected to LAN or a device connected to the WIFI. I have NO internet access set up as this goes all through/by the NAS.

For the new Wifi/LAN cam I thought I do the same. I block both mac addresses for LAN and wifi. At first I set the cam to DHCP for both LAN and WIFI. I checked the connected devices in the router and both interfaces get an IP address.

I can access the cam's webinterface by the IP address that is given to the LAN NIC of the CAM from a LAN and/or Wifi device.

But NO WAY I can access the webinterface or any stream by the IP address given to the WIFI NIC of the cam. Not from a LAN and not from a WIFI device.

As soon as I disable the access control block for the WIFI mac of the cam, I can access the webinterface of the cam from a LAN and from a WIFI device.

According to the help in the bottum of the R7800 webinterface, the access control block will allow the device to get an IP address, but it won't allow the device to communicate with any device in the local network nor to the internet....

Why I'm able to access the webinterfaces of all cams over the LAN connection then?

I really would like this access control function to just block devices from accessing internet, but now I'm not sure this is working!

What is the point of letting a blocked device get an IP, but not possible to reach the device from the local network as it is working for the WIFI only right now?

I honestly don't know now if the cam's can access the internet or not. I will have to check with wireshark some day, because the experienced behavior does not reassure me now.

Does anybody have tested this or has a different experience?

p.s. I run the latest firmware(.62) and did a factory reset after updating the latest firmware, as not doing factory reset after firmware upgrade resulted in other problems in the past.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Access Control strange behavior

Access control only blocks devices connected via wifi if it's a LAN device then the access control will not work.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Florisz
Tutor

I have to correct some things above.

I said that when I bock access all cams were still accessible from a LAN as well as a WIFI device. Well the latter is incorrect.

So the block ONLY works from WIFI devices. With a block on the devices LAN mac address, the device is still accessible from a LAN device, but not from a WIFI device.

With a block on the devices WIFI mac address the device is not accessible by either a LAN or a WIFI device.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Access control only blocks devices connected via wifi if it's a LAN device then the access control will not work.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7